• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My B'More Con Report

65 posts in this topic

You should encourage the ignorant when they stumble across a diamond, not berate them! There are many more blockheads out there who are duck-ignorant. I'm glad I saw the light.

Praise Jesus! acclaim.gif

You should encourage the ignorant when they stumble across a diamond, not berate them! There are many more blockheads out there who are duck-ignorant. I'm glad I saw the light.

It's my nature to mock the ignorant. tongue.gif

But I'm happy that you've discovered the Ducks, no matter how belatedly. Carl Barks is the greatest comic book storyteller ever, and his art was awesome too. It would've been too much to ever expect a worthy successor, but Don Rosa was all that and more, a superb storyteller and wonder ful artist too. And, because he was such a student of Barks' work, his Duck universe is actually more consistent and more self-referential than Barks'.

The great thing is you can pick up Barks' stories on the cheap, because from the late-60s on, all the Gold Key Duck books basically just reprinted his classic stories over and over. I wouldn't imagine reader copies would be all that expensive. And the Rosa comics for Gladstone aren't expensive either.

One of my most pleasantly surprising pickups from Baltimore.........

scrooge.jpg

First of all, let me assure you.....Red Hook is NOT into funny animals, Disney per se, etc.....but I picked this up

a) because Don Rosa was sitting three feet from me in the next booth.

and

b) I wanted to get something for my 7 year old nephew Austin.

So I picked up two copies and ......

have been knocked out by the level of ambitious story telling and the mind-boggling level of detail in the art. WOW.

Comments? I know Foolkiller picked up a copy too! Good move, Gemstone! thumbsup2.gif

Love the Ducks smile.gif, this is a very entertaining read with some great art.

But I'm happy that you've discovered the Ducks, no matter how belatedly. Carl Barks is the greatest comic book storyteller ever, and his art was awesome too. It would've been too much to ever expect a worthy successor, but Don Rosa was all that and more, a superb storyteller and wonder ful artist too. And, because he was such a student of Barks' work, his Duck universe is actually more consistent and more self-referential than Barks'.

Very well said. 893applaud-thumb.gif Out of all the geniuses, I think Barks is the best guy the field has produced.

I'm a big fan of the Carl Barks library reprint albums that came out around 1990-1995. Beautifully recolored, oversized, and chronological. The first 20 Uncle Scrooge and the first 10 Donald Duck Adventures are probably the best bang for the buck and most "classic."

Marc