• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Romita Sr. ASM 107 Splash on eBay!

48 posts in this topic

So this guy made a bad offer and now your reraliating by doing the same to him?

doesnt that lower you to his level

Not really. He was possibly attempting to rook a potentially ignorant buyer with a low-ball offer. We are having a little joke at the expense of a person who is well versed in the ins and outs of the hobby. Not the same at all. confused-smiley-013.gif

hi, nikos, i dont remember getting bent out of shape. but i will take your word for it.

what is the issue with the offer i made? the auction had no reserve at 500 and i offered to pay for the art.

i was trying to "rip him off"? i pay and usually OVER PAY for most of or all of the art i buy?

everyone i have ever dealt with has left me with a smile.

please control what you guys are saying. there are other ways to pass the evening.

nick katradis

i pay and usually OVER PAY for most of or all of the art i buy?

So let's break this compound statement down into it's two components:

"I pay for most of or all the art I buy?"

&

"I usually OVERPAY for most of or all the art I buy?"

(and we'll be nice and assume you meant a period and not a question mark.)

So - you pay for most of the art you buy.

I guess this is opposed to stealing or aquiring it through adverse possession.

So very good - glad to know you actually pay for it.

And you usually overpay for most of the art you buy also?

Wow - so if you make a deal with someone to buy a page for say $500, you usually also

send them a bonus payment for $20-30 and a little note letting them know that they are now in that cool "most" group and that you are overpaying them? Impressive.

hi, nikos, i dont remember getting bent out of shape. but i will take your word for it.

what is the issue with the offer i made? the auction had no reserve at 500 and i offered to pay for the art.

i was trying to "rip him off"? i pay and usually OVER PAY for most of or all of the art i buy?

everyone i have ever dealt with has left me with a smile.

please control what you guys are saying. there are other ways to pass the evening.

nick katradis

So....the fact that in the past you have overpayed for certian pieces makes it okay to take advantage of someone else ??

Say I walk into a yard sale, I see the people are selling comic books and I find an Action 1. In VG condtion. I offer the them $100.00 and they being naive and not aware of the value , accept it and feel they got a great price....I, in turn , CGC it and sell it on Heritage for major bucks. - This is acceptable ?

1. I paid for the book.

2. If they didn't know what they had (which is exactly what you were hoping with the ASM splash), that's their problem.

That's BullS*** !!!

Look, I just think that it shouldn't be "all men for themselves" and if this guy is a sucker, so be it ! -

I have met some great people in the art community and being smaller, there is more of an alliance.

But like anything, there's a Dark Side !

I love these ethical conundrums. Action 1 isn't such a great example as it has a certain resonance in the real world. But let's say you walk into a yard sale and see a copy of Adventure Comics 40 and offer them $100, which they take.

How did you know that you were on to a good thing? Through 20+ years of being involved in the hobby, buying books, making mistakes, getting screwed a few times and learning as you went along. Are you obliged to pass this lifelong learning on for free? If I study accountancy for 7 years, should I work for the same money as a garbage collector, who, like as not, probably has a harder job than an accountant?

Getting the seller to try and end this auction early was a bad thing because it specifically contravenes ebay regulations. But if I ever see an Action 1 for sale in a junk box, I'll happily pick it up for a song. Of course, it's never actually going to happen, but I might see a $50 comic for $1 one day.

Say I walk into a yard sale, I see the people are selling comic books and I find an Action 1. In VG condtion. I offer the them $100.00 and they being naive and not aware of the value , accept it and feel they got a great price....I, in turn , CGC it and sell it on Heritage for major bucks. - This is acceptable ?

1. I paid for the book.

2. If they didn't know what they had (which is exactly what you were hoping with the ASM splash), that's their problem.

That's BullS*** !!!

Course its acceptable....if they take $100 and are happy to its very much acceptable....

no one in their right mind is going to say "i'll give you $ 0.5M for that book"....

ROFL....anyone who says they would do different is a liar....

You're not ripping the person off, thats what they wanted for it....

recent examples that come to mind are the Nintendo cartridge mentioned on another part of the board, sold for 50c or something stupid and the guy had it on eBay for $5K + recently.....

another...so you go into an antique shop and spot the other antique dog or whatever to make up your valuable pair worth 100x ( as a pair ).....you going to offer the guy 10x what he wants cause you'll make a mint in the long run??? 27_laughing.gif.....i think not...

Cheers,

I don't think it's right......people can diagree all they want. It won't change my opinion that it's basically trying to pull one over on someone, hoping to take advantage of someone's naive thinking. It's totally different if you buuy something at a low price and not knowing that it's worth alot more, but it's something else to attempt to get away with it.....

Walking into an antique shop and dealing with someone who does that for a living, it's not likely that you will find someone underpricing something.....

I have dealt with some great people in this hobby. I had a collector that I contacted and asked that if he ever wanted to sell his Bolland, to let me know. - He said he wasn't planning to move it, but things can change. Fast foward 6 months and i see that a GL cover is available from Burkey. I contact him and buy the piece. I get an email from the other guy and he says that he passed on that piece, for the fact that he knew I wanted it.

I had an auction for the Bregfolye piece that i have on my CAF. Another bidder , who i have been on contact with, emails before the auction and states he is going to bid agggressively on that item. I really want the item, and he tells me that if I am going to bid, he will back down. I end up winning the item at a price that was half of what he would have bid. He didn't owe me anything and he could have just as easy sniped it....but he let me grab it, even though he wanted it.

I have another collector that has promised me dibs on a piece, that I know he would probably get more money elsewhere, because I am such a HUGE fan of the piece.

This is behavior that is more productive, doesn't look to "get anyone" and creates friendships among collectors. A little compention is healthy, but taking advantage is not.

sign-rantpost.gif

I had an auction for the Bregfolye piece that i have on my CAF. Another bidder , who i have been on contact with, emails before the auction and states he is going to bid agggressively on that item. I really want the item, and he tells me that if I am going to bid, he will back down. I end up winning the item at a price that was half of what he would have bid. He didn't owe me anything and he could have just as easy sniped it....but he let me grab it, even though he wanted it.

OT - I'm still amazed and how cheap that cover went. foreheadslap.gif

I had a collector that I contacted and asked that if he ever wanted to sell his Bolland, to let me know. - He said he wasn't planning to move it, but things can change. Fast foward 6 months and i see that a GL cover is available from Burkey. I contact him and buy the piece. I get an email from the other guy and he says that he passed on that piece, for the fact that he knew I wanted it.

Anytime Mike...I know you would have done the same for me...and besides there is enough art available that we can all get what we like.

Chris

www.hulk-smash.com

Comicartfan,

you just proved the point being made.....did you offer the seller of the piece the extra money it should have went for just because your friend backed down so you could have the piece?

No....lol....heck no, so you got a nice piece below FMV, very nice, but you sure as hell didnt rip anyone off!!!!!

An auction running it's course as this did is not the same. Just because ONE bidder backed off as a courtesy doesn't mean that there couldn't have been a zillion other Batman/Bregfolye fans out there that couldn't have grabbed it ! - This was auctioned off by Albert Moy, hardly a low profile seller. You aren't comparing apples to apples. Sure, someone who was going to bid backed off, that's completely different than going through the backdoor and trying to pull one over on a seller. What is so complicated about this that you can't see the point I am making ?! - makepoint.gif

on side note :

Solar, I am amazed that I won it at that price too. I think it was just luck. People probably thought it would go too high and stayed away.....who knows ?

Chris,

I will always appreciate what you did. it's a piece that i will probably have a long, long time.

Mike