• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showcase 4 4.5 from HA to Clink in one day +16k
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I'm trying to understand this as I was tracking this book in the Sunday HA auction (considered bidding).  The book sells and the next day the same copy is on comiclink's auction exchange.  How is this even possible?  The book didn't even have time to be shipped.  Did HA just send the scans over to Clink?  I don't get this and I don't get the price increase.

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 11.09.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 11.09.54 PM.png

5 hours ago, atomised said:

The book sells and the next day the same copy is on comiclink's auction exchange.  How is this even possible?  The book didn't even have time to be shipped.  Did HA just send the scans over to Clink?

It's the old "cart before the horse". The buyer is probably using the scans from the Heritage auction and posting it fast on Comiclink, before they actually have the book in hand.

I think Comiclink's policy for listing books for a Featured or Focus event auction, is Comiclink needs to have the book in their hands, but for an Exchange listing (like this one for the Showcase 4), the seller can post without having to physically send the book to Comiclink.

If someone wants to buy the book immediately, they should probably send  a note to the seller to just have Heritage mail the book to them (new Comiclink buyer) direct! :jokealert:

A Flipper's paradise out there now - possession is NOT 9/10 of the law!

Edited by DanCooper

16 hours ago, atomised said:

I'm trying to understand this as I was tracking this book in the Sunday HA auction (considered bidding).  The book sells and the next day the same copy is on comiclink's auction exchange.  How is this even possible?  The book didn't even have time to be shipped.  Did HA just send the scans over to Clink?  I don't get this and I don't get the price increase.

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 11.09.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 11.09.54 PM.png

I believe this seller is following the old saying, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

It was a good price for a buy, especially if it was a dealer with a resale number and saved the tax (add another grand+ if not)

DC keys not getting the respect that their Marvel counterparts garner. Page quality and chip on front cover in lower corner may have hindered some bidding.

Heritage sold a 4.5 back in September for $15,600 (see the following below) so price may not be far off in the current market. Still, a nice buy price for a Show 4

The 4.5 that sold at Heritage in September for $15,600:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, Showcase #4 The Flash (DC, 1956) CGC VG+ 4.5 Cream to off-white pages....

Now that I've largely bought all the big Marvel books that I want to acquire (FF1 priced out, Hulk 1 low grade still possibly attainable), the time might be right to take another look at this book.  When I got back into collecting into the early 2000's, this was a book I thought long and hard about.  I ultimately went the Marvel route, but Sh 4 and BB28, have always been of interest to me.

37 minutes ago, kimik said:

That is a weak 4.5 to begin with, which hurts the price. It looks worse than a lot of 3.5s out there right now. 

It still amazes me how soft auction prices are for Key DC books when you consider the overheated Marvel market.

54 minutes ago, piper said:

It still amazes me how soft auction prices are for Key DC books when you consider the overheated Marvel market.

Might be a good time to buy then.....

That being said, the Flash TV show is still on CW, right? Maybe these books will get a boost from the next round of movies, but they should start moving up when the gap gets too wide with Marvel SA and BA keys again.

Edited by kimik

3 hours ago, kimik said:

That is a weak 4.5 to begin with, which hurts the price. It looks worse than a lot of 3.5s out there right now. 

i agree... "buy the book not the grade."... thats not a good looking 4.5,  BUT it is a SC4.. which is an amazing grail book. so you cant go wrong,  (but the visual definitely affected hammer price IMO)

2 hours ago, GAMBIT said:

i agree... "buy the book not the grade."... thats not a good looking 4.5,  BUT it is a SC4.. which is an amazing grail book. so you cant go wrong,  (but the visual definitely affected hammer price IMO)

Which is funny because it doesn’t seem to matter on XM 1’s at the moment.

16 hours ago, GAMBIT said:

Still a steal for an SC4.  I'd pay that price.