• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a ‘recessed’ staple or just wear around the edges?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Looks almost like it's been compressed somehow. hm

I agree...it looks more "compressed" than "recessed".

I'm guessing it's just the way the book was manufactured, and the fact that the staple is compressed contributed to the wear pattern around it...

2 minutes ago, silverseeker said:

I agree...it looks more "compressed" than "recessed".

I'm guessing it's just the way the book was manufactured, and the fact that the staple is compressed contributed to the wear pattern around it...

This is kind of what I was thinking. I don’t see any signs that the book was pressed. Probs would have gotten a bit higher grade if it had been lol

Usually one of the characteristics of a recessed staple is that it actually sinks into the spine because of tiny tears at the top and bottom of the staple. So if you look directly at the front cover of the book, you can't even see the staple unless you look at the vertex of the spine (thank you and RIP Bomber-Bob for the use of the word "vertex"---what a great word.) The staple shown above appears to be in the beginning stages of recession but it hasn't yet reached it's full potential; a few more readings may do the trick, however...  :bigsmile:

4 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Usually one of the characteristics of a recessed staple is that it actually sinks into the spine because of tiny tears at the top and bottom of the staple. So if you look directly at the front cover of the book, you can't even see the staple unless you look at the vertex of the spine (thank you and RIP Bomber-Bob for the use of the word "vertex"---what a great word.) The staple shown above appears to be in the beginning stages of recession but it hasn't yet reached it's full potential; a few more readings may do the trick, however...  :bigsmile:

gotcha, thanks for the info! Yeah this guy is staying in the slab so I don’t need to worry about that haha

Edited by James Lawry

19 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Yes, keeping it in the slab will likely keep it from getting any worse...

So this isn’t considered a ‘popped’ staple right? The cover seems like it is attached to me. If they are popped it would be torn up all around the staple with no parts of the cover going ‘under’ the staple correct?

To me it appears to be the wear of the comic being read several times.  You can see other wear and creases by the staples. 

A recessed staple goes into the spine, it is usually manufacturing defect.  See the picture below from another thread.

James Lawry - a "popped" staple is not connected to the cover at all.  Another way of saying the same thing is the cover is not attached at the bottom (or top) staple.

IMG_4914.jpg

On 3/12/2021 at 8:01 PM, boatfund said:

To me it appears to be the wear of the comic being read several times.  You can see other wear and creases by the staples. 

A recessed staple goes into the spine, it is usually manufacturing defect.  See the picture below from another thread.

James Lawry - a "popped" staple is not connected to the cover at all.  Another way of saying the same thing is the cover is not attached at the bottom (or top) staple.

IMG_4914.jpg

Never knew this was considered a manufacturing defect. Does CGC treat it as such (ie doesn't discount grade for it)? This always fell in the category of popped staple by my lexicon... Good to know...

40 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Never knew this was considered a manufacturing defect. Does CGC treat it as such (ie doesn't discount grade for it)? This always fell in the category of popped staple by my lexicon... Good to know...

I thought CGC would treat it as a manufacturers defect on my ASM 201. However I got a qualified grade.

ASM #201 U 7.5 Front.jpeg

ASM 201 9.6 Qualified OWW Front.jpg

2 hours ago, PickleRick1216 said:

I thought CGC would treat it as a manufacturers defect on my ASM 201. However I got a qualified grade.

ASM #201 U 7.5 Front.jpeg

ASM 201 9.6 Qualified OWW Front.jpg

Per @boatfund's qualification above, your copy has a "popped" staple (where the cover is no longer attached to the book)...as far as I'm aware this should always get a green qualified label, whether it happened during production or after the fact.

However, I have seen at least one blue label Silver Age book with a popped staple, but it was called out in the graders notes...I wonder if the submitter chose to have that factored into the grade so the book could get a blue label?

2 minutes ago, silverseeker said:

Per @boatfund's qualification above, your copy has a "popped" staple (where the cover is no longer attached to the book)...as far as I'm aware this should always get a green qualified label, whether it happened during production or after the fact.

However, I have seen at least one blue label Silver Age book with a popped staple, but it was called out in the graders notes...I wonder if the submitter chose to have that factored into the grade so the book could get a blue label?

I consider this book a lesson learned.

The seller didn't even notice the popped staple when I bought it. I brought it to his attention and he offered me a full refund but I declined since we both agreed it was probably a manufacturer defect since the rest of the book was in near mint shape. It seemed unlikely that someone tore it somehow without damaging the rest of the book. I would have loved to have spoken to the grader about it but obviously that isn't going to happen.

Here’s a couple other shots. So the business at the bottom of the staple would just be considered ‘staple tears’ then I guess? @silverseeker @boatfund

There was nothing in the grader notes so I am assuming it is pretty minor since the staple is pretty fully attached to the cover still. 

5C3AB9BF-AC72-4ABE-8432-7A01FEF5DAB9.jpeg

C193D4B1-B50B-437B-A4B6-8854650BA34A.jpeg

Edited by James Lawry

25 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

Here’s a couple other shots. So the business at the bottom of the staple would just be considered ‘staple tears’ then I guess? @silverseeker @boatfund

Yup...looks like they could be small tears or even just some small creases with varying amounts of paper loss.

I've purchased graders notes before that called out staple tears, so to your point the wear around this staple is probably not substantial enough to be called out...

1 minute ago, silverseeker said:

Yup...looks like they could be small tears or even just some small creases with varying amounts of paper loss.

I've purchased graders notes before that called out staple tears, so to your point the wear around this staple is probably not substantial enough to be called out...

Awesome thank you!

@silverseeker ok one last staple question. Different book this time but I didn’t want to make a whole new topic. I got this flash today and looking at the staples they seem fine but maybe dirty or tarnished. Doesn’t seem like rust to me. Just looks kind of grimy I suppose?

What are your thoughts?

I have a book with a bit of rust on the staple (3rd pic) and the first two don’t seem to be the same

F43B9DB2-2B03-498A-A35D-4F361F7EF979.jpeg

4E325D42-6D06-4A7A-84C0-09F4DA7B04DB.jpeg

09667D25-45DB-4FB6-B42F-E22D3E0E6938.jpeg

On 3/15/2021 at 12:04 PM, PickleRick1216 said:

I consider this book a lesson learned.

The seller didn't even notice the popped staple when I bought it. I brought it to his attention and he offered me a full refund but I declined since we both agreed it was probably a manufacturer defect since the rest of the book was in near mint shape. It seemed unlikely that someone tore it somehow without damaging the rest of the book. I would have loved to have spoken to the grader about it but obviously that isn't going to happen.

It's not unheard of for an otherwise Near Mint book to have a popped staple. There are numerous examples of this in the Heritage archives...

25 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

@silverseeker ok one last staple question. Different book this time but I didn’t want to make a whole new topic. I got this flash today and looking at the staples they seem fine but maybe dirty or tarnished. Doesn’t seem like rust to me. Just looks kind of grimy I suppose?

What are your thoughts?

I have a book with a bit of rust on the staple (3rd pic) and the first two don’t seem to be the same

F43B9DB2-2B03-498A-A35D-4F361F7EF979.jpeg

4E325D42-6D06-4A7A-84C0-09F4DA7B04DB.jpeg

09667D25-45DB-4FB6-B42F-E22D3E0E6938.jpeg

I'll let the rust experts weigh in on this, but the top two photos seem to exhibit what I would call oxidation more than rust...I'm not sure if an oxidized staple is on it's way to becoming a rusty staple though.