• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a ‘recessed’ staple or just wear around the edges?
2 2

31 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, James Lawry said:

Yeah that is what I figured. Oxidized staples I am fine with, I live in Utah and this book is from ‘59 so I doubt it will get any worse. Thanks!

This is a very normal occurrence for books from this era---nothing serious yet.

But from what I've heard, storing books in a firesafe can contribute to rust development on the staples even when the books have been slabbed...just something to be aware of.  :whistle: 

3 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

But from what I've heard, storing books in a firesafe can contribute to rust development on the staples even when the books have been slabbed...just something to be aware of.  :whistle: 

Yes I had heard that too! These beauties are all on display in my office lol no safe queens here 

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

@The Lions Den Ok here is a photo with maybe better light, it’s always hard to get a good shot In the slab. This looks ok to you then? 

0EE22A28-3995-4DC7-96B2-0A4D2E38C0FB.png

Edited by James Lawry

8 hours ago, James Lawry said:

@The Lions Den Ok here is a photo with maybe better light, it’s always hard to get a good shot In the slab. This looks ok to you then? 

0EE22A28-3995-4DC7-96B2-0A4D2E38C0FB.png

At this level of magnification, the area does look inconsistent. Specifically how tightly that staple is seated while having so much cover wear and tear immediately surrounding the entry points of the staple tines through the paper. Also, the oxidation appears inconsistent as well, the top half of the staple shank shiny and almost devoid of oxidation while the lower half of the shank exhibits it, leading me to believe that the staple was either replaced, removed then cleaned, or a poor job of scraping the oxidation off was performed while the staple was still in situ, accidentally adding further scuffing to the cover around the staple. 

The whole package of the paper and staple just look strange to me, like if you saw seating like this, you would expect to see dissimilar features as well. It doesn't go together. How about a pic of the centerfold showing the staples at that point? 

Edited by James J Johnson

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

At this level of magnification, the area does look inconsistent. Specifically how tightly that staple is seated while having so much cover wear and tear immediately surrounding the entry points of the staple tines through the paper. Also, the oxidation appears inconsistent as well, the top half of the staple shank shiny and almost devoid of oxidation while the lower half of the shank exhibits it, leading me to believe that the staple was either replaced, removed then cleaned, or a poor job of scraping the oxidation off was performed while the staple was still in situ, accidentally adding further scuffing to the cover around the staple. 

The whole package of the paper and staple just look strange to me, like if you saw seating like this, you would expect to see dissimilar features as well. It doesn't go together. How about a pic of the centerfold showing the staples at that point? 

Well it’s slabbed by CGC (blue label 4.0) so I can’t check the centerfold haha. And nothing in the notes about staple shenanigans, so as long as it’s not rusty (which I don’t believe it is, just dirty or oxidized a bit so I wanted some other folks to see it) I’m ok 

Here are some less zoomed pics

B59499FF-6B81-4209-B4D4-1378C06D15DE.jpeg

33D0EE35-ED68-40F2-AAEA-BBA8C570E2E4.jpeg

Edited by James Lawry

12 hours ago, James Lawry said:

Well it’s slabbed by CGC (blue label 4.0) so I can’t check the centerfold haha. And nothing in the notes about staple shenanigans, so as long as it’s not rusty (which I don’t believe it is, just dirty or oxidized a bit so I wanted some other folks to see it) I’m ok 

Here are some less zoomed pics

B59499FF-6B81-4209-B4D4-1378C06D15DE.jpeg

33D0EE35-ED68-40F2-AAEA-BBA8C570E2E4.jpeg

I wasn't aware of CGC's blue finding. I might have missed that being stated, in which case I have complete confidence in their resto-less finding. Just an odd look, the type of which you really need the book in hand to determine for sure. 

Edited by James J Johnson

7 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I wasn't aware of CGC's blue finding. I might have missed that being stated, in which case I have complete confidence in their resto-less finding. Just an odd look, the type of which you really need the book in hand to determine for sure. 

Oh for sure, I think I forgot to mention it when I first had posted. I mainly wanted to get others opinions that the staple wasn’t rusty while I was still within the return window for the book.