• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pay copy of Motion Picture Funnies Weekly in Heritage Oct Auction..

22 posts in this topic

What do you think this book can go for? Do you remember what parrino paid?

No idea what Parrino paid for it. I'm sure someone will know, though.

Not a book that is on my list (despite the significance and all). Very rarely tread into GA although I love the history of the books. Some of the covers are just amazing, but even in LG the cost is too much.

I'd say this book should easily get guide, especially being the Pay Copy. Reserve is probably higher than that though. Who would be in the market for, and could even afford, such an item? Zaid maybe. confused-smiley-013.gif

Nice book! Not near as bad as that horrendous Marvel #1 Pay Copy.

Why do you call the Marvel #1 pay copy horrendous? It's a gorgeous book. It just has a little more writing on the cover and on the interior pages. The page quality is supposed to be unbelievable though.

paycopysothebys.jpg

paycopysothebys2.jpg

Why do you call the Marvel #1 pay copy horrendous?

Should've clarified. I meant "horrrendously graded". Definitely an error on my part. Changes the meaning quite a bit. blush.gif

Marvel #1 should get a severe bump down from it's grade by CGC (9.0, IIRC) or a qualifier (if they'd do that on that book. I'm not sure).

It is a better looking copy than most, but the writing really detracts from the appearance. The MPFW writing is not near as interfering as the Marvel #1. It's night and day, IMO.

And, who cares about the inside? You can read the Masterworks. tongue.gif

I love the Marvel Pay copy but I think I still rather have the other 9.0 copy that has a clean cover, its much cheaper too.

Yeah, that will be another very interesting sale to follow

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=818&Lot_No=2011

I see on the gpanalysis link on that page that the Denver copy went for $172k last month. Anybody know where that sale took place?

The significance of the writing is what sets the book apart. I would rather have the pay copy than a completly clean version, but that's just me. I want the history involved! thumbsup2.gif

Absolutely. The history of the Jacquet copy is worth a premium.

The significance of the writing is what sets the book apart. I would rather have the pay copy than a completly clean version, but that's just me. I want the history involved! thumbsup2.gif

Absolutely. The history of the Jacquet copy is worth a premium.

Dittos all around. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I love the Marvel Pay copy but I think I still rather have the other 9.0 copy that has a clean cover, its much cheaper too.

Yeah, that will be another very interesting sale to follow

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=818&Lot_No=2011

I see on the gpanalysis link on that page that the Denver copy went for $172k last month. Anybody know where that sale took place?

Heritage.

I love the history but the cover is almost too messed up to ignore.

That's like saying that an antique Civil War era bank check is "messed up" because Abraham Lincoln signed it. screwy.gif

I love the history but the cover is almost too messed up to ignore.

That's like saying that an antique Civil War era bank check is "messed up" because Abraham Lincoln signed it. screwy.gif

Strawman argument wink.gif. Lincoln's signature doesn't deface the check (in fact it's the important thing on it), whereas the slapdash writing that appears on the cover (never mind the interior) of the Pay Copy of Marvel 1 does.

Unlike the check the Marvel 1 has an aesthetic quality that is damaged by said random scrawl, which does take away from the beauty of the cover art.

And yes, I do see the historical significance of the writing. However the book itself is FAR more significant.

I'd also say that the Pay Copy of Marvel 1 has been hugely overhyped.

Good point. If you had enough money to own several copies of Marvel Comics 1, then this would be a nice addition. But, if you're only ever going to buy one, then the historic writing, interesting as it is, probably plays second fiddle to having a copy that actually looks nice.