• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RARE DETECTIVE COMICS #33 up for sale

125 posts in this topic

Thats a estimate from some old Overstreet's I have. I just found one that says 27 total. Probably more. Who's to say there isn't. If the estimate were close to true then most are graded by CGC. Its still a hard book to find for sale on ebay. I've been going to WIZARDS WORLD conventions and haven't seen any for the last couple of years. I've seen just about any other book, but this Detective is one ya don't see too often for sale.

That's a pretty nice copy for VG.

I saw a copy of this book at the tiny Philadelphia Stadium Convention that is held once every month or so. It was in ratty shape, but the dealer wanted three grand.

For those that may not know.

#33 was the 1st issue that had the origin of BATMAN. It wasn't as detailed as the origin told in BATMAN #47 which came out several years later. Courious thing; Detective #27 even though it was the 1st Batman, didn't tell of his origin, went right to the story.

You have a good point regarding first appearances. If you look at a number of the fist appearance stories in the Golden Age you will notice that many did not explain the origin in the first story.

Yes, incredible book! I believe I read/extrapolated somewhere that

this was among the books that Steve Geppi commissioned to Jerry

Weist to help promote Sotheby's new auctions back in '92 (?). I

get the sense that Geppi only reluctantly puts these book up for sale

once in a while because he is feeling sorry for the rest of us smile.gif. The

more I learn about him, the more he comes across as an incredibly

nice guy who has done a lot for the hobby. It would be great if some

of the other oldtimers would put a few of their treasures up for sale

as well so we could get a peak at more of the early pedigree keys...

It's cool that Gary Colabouno has started selling a bit, for example.

Here's what GPAnalysis had to say:

(9.0) - $43,125.00 - Allentown pedigree National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1939 1 Oct 2002

EP (8.0) - $3,220.00 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1939 1 Mar 2003

SP (7.5) - $3,625.00 - Twilight pedigree National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1939 1 Sep 2002

EP (6.0) - $1,495.00 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1939 1 Oct 2002

(5.5) - $10,925.00 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1939 1 Jul 2002

(4.5) (2) $8,810.00 8,995/8,625 National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1939 1 Apr 2003

(4.0) - $5,750.00 - National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1939 1 Mar 2003

(1.8) (2) $3,165.38 3,225/3,105 National Per. Publ/DC Comics 1 1939 1 Dec 2002

Actually, I'm pretty sure most of the early Mile High's (and certainly the pre-hero's) are spread all over the place. The last I heard on the #27 was back in about '92 when Steve sold it to a big baseball card dealer (Forman I think his name was) for 75K. It's sweet, but at best it's the 3rd nicest copy, maybe "only" the 4th.

Most of the pre-hero issues were owned by Gary Carter at one point who sold them over the years to a bunch of people.

The 2nd best copy is not a pedigree copy, just a really high grade one that was originally discovered by Sparkle City in the early 80s.

I co-owned it briefly for awhile in the early 90s and for awhile it was the price record holder - it was the copy that sold for $81,000 (to Geppi) and then resold by Geppi for $101,000.

But it hasn't changed hands in nearly a decade now.

But these are the kind of collectors/books that just won't be on the census for a long time. There are some really nice books out there, but the collectors have no interest in selling them and certainly have no interest in having them slabbed at this time. So it will still be quite awhile before the CGC census is really meaningful for some of these issues. Remember last Summer when Heritage was claiming that you'd never see another key as nice as the Church copy of More Fun #53? Then in the next auction - BAM there's another 9.6 copy of More Fun #53...

Stuff's out there, the trouble is trying to motivate collectors to become sellers.

The 2nd best copy is not a pedigree copy, just a really high grade one that was originally discovered by Sparkle City in the early 80s.

okay. thats a start. And yes I agree we cant go by the census at this time. So Im trying to get a sense fo whats what from what those of you in the "know" have heard first-hand over the years.

I've heard that the Allentown is the best. And that it is owned, (amazingly) by the same guy who owns the Mile High Action#1 (He passed on the MH because the Allentown is nicer...). Then comes this 'no-name copy you described. Which is third best? Where does the copy that recently sold for $280K fit in the top five?

Sparkle City...havent heard that name for awhile! Speaking if which, where's Jay now? Has he popped up on eBay?? Anybody know?

Yes, Dave Anderson - owns the Mile High Action #1-10 and the Allentown Detective #27 - he used to have the Allentown Captain America #1 that sold for crazy money a few years back - not sure why he sold it. He's also got the nicest known copies of many other Golden Age keys.

He definitely has the best comic collection - period.

I would say the MH Tec #27 is slightly better than the 8.0 copy that sold awhile ago. So that 8.0 is probably the 4th nicest copy.

Don't think Jay has anything to do with comics anymore. I heard that he was in Chicago now, but was never able to verify it. I'm sure there are some parties that would really like to know though.