• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yellow streaks on this Flash 123

21 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Yeah it's kind of weird. So it is the yellow streaks adjacent to the two Flashes... looks like other copies are just white in that area

Yeah, very odd...never seen that.  Reminded me of invisible ink discoloration after it sat from awhile.  I'm surprised I remembered that from when I was a kid. :roflmao:

Edited by Galen130

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes, its possible its an artifact.  It's actually already slabbed.  

Looks like it’s in a slab. Wasn’t sure if you got the pic with or without label. You’ve seen the label to rule out repro; good. What about asking the seller to send pix too? If it’s a scanner artifact it won’t be there. If it’s some scanner illusion it’s looking like a pretty copy.

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

The only thing is seller has other comics and none have this artifact...

I’d go hmm too but maybe it’s scanned at a different time than the others? Something seller fixed in settings subsequently? I mean, who knows why they wouldn’t rescan, just trying to think of a way to rule it out.

27 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I’d go hmm too but maybe it’s scanned at a different time than the others? Something seller fixed in settings subsequently? I mean, who knows why they wouldn’t rescan, just trying to think of a way to rule it out.

Seller just got back to me.  He says its just his scanner.  He gets that artifact a lot. 

51 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Seller just got back to me.  He says its just his scanner.  He gets that artifact a lot. 

If you were me, I would ask for a photo of the cover.  That should definitely clear up the mystery...IMO.

Edited by Galen130
Typo...didn’t have my glasses on.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

If it was a printing error, it's a cool effect. I would have bought it as is just like that. The ones I can't deal with are the ones where the color is stamped outside of whatever border is supposed to contain it. That Flash 123 would have been a cool effect to own. Certainly doesn't detract from the "Neat!" factor. It kinda would have portended the "Crisis On Infinite Earths" skies in my mind. Being the first GA Flash appearance.

11 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

If it was a printing error, it's a cool effect. I would have bought it as is just like that. The ones I can't deal with are the ones where the color is stamped outside of whatever border is supposed to contain it. That Flash 123 would have been a cool effect to own. Certainly doesn't detract from the "Neat!" factor. It kinda would have portended the "Crisis On Infinite Earths" skies in my mind. Being the first GA Flash appearance.

That's true!

11 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Colors look exceptionally dark. Seller scan? Any chance it’s a scanner artifact, or repro cover made from a copy that had a date stamp? 

They do look dark. The greens and blues especially, and the yellow lettering within the red box looks very deep, almost a mustard color instead of the typical canary yellow. 

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

They do look dark. The greens and blues especially, and the yellow lettering within the red box looks very deep, almost a mustard color instead of the typical canary yellow. 

Good; it’s not just me. That’s what made me think it might be a scanner artifact. But I bet the color strike is good. I’d love to see a photo; good luck @Wolverinex I hope the deal works out well!

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I"ll send you a photo when I get it!

To me it looks "dark" normal. Those gradient bands of progressively deepening yellow, bottom to top, that gradually make the color change from cream to yellow are approx the same degree darker than usual as the rest of the colors. Those bands are on all of them, but to a lesser enough degree as to be almost unnoticeable as the color progressively changes. Also, in person, the book may not have that same appearance to the naked eye. The scanner may be imparting artifact, reading those subtle changes to a far greater degree than is evident with book in hand. It could be scanning "dark" or being processed "dark" thereby adding weight to the ascending waves of deepening color. 

Edited by James J Johnson