• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Daredevil 1
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I had the book at a 6 until I saw the line on the back cover.  I think you have to take everything into consideration, but a 4.0 seems solid for this book.  I’ve read some that don’t grade it as harshly, but most do.  Personally, it really bothers me.

The sub crease seems pretty soft and the book has many positive qualities. Unless the crease is more pronounced in hand, I think 5.0 or even 5.5 is reasonable. Looks great!

8 hours ago, iexx said:

I didn't see that at first but now I do. Do those get the same penalty regardless of how much color break there is?

No, a lot depends upon the prominence of the crease and how much color breaking there is. Moreover, this book looks like it could be improved with a press, and I don't usually recommend that.

As far as the grade, I agree with Point Five...  

Edited by The Lions Den

25 minutes ago, iexx said:

Thanks everyone for your input. This has been enlightening.  Had never seen a sub crease before this. The back is smooth to the touch. 

FYI, any vertical crease that runs from top to bottom and is in the midsection of the cover is usually called a subscription crease, regardless of how it occurred. It could just as easily have been caused by some kid folding it over and shoving it into his back pocket...  :gossip:

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

No, a lot depends upon the prominence of the crease and how much color breaking there is. Moreover, this book looks like it could be improved with a press, and I don't usually recommend that.

As far as the grade, I agree with Point Five...  

This book looks like it may have already been pressed?  From what I understand. 5.5 is the max you’ll see on a full length color breaking crease with no other defects.

3 hours ago, Zegeroth said:

This book looks like it may have already been pressed?  From what I understand. 5.5 is the max you’ll see on a full length color breaking crease with no other defects.

If I may be so bold, not all pressers seem to achieve the same results. Of course, the decision is ultimately yours to make. No matter what you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck...    

Thanks,  I'm going to send it to get pressed unless the presser says no.  The front does have a few dents on the spine and a gentle bend where the fold was on the front cover.  Looks like 5.5 is the best possible result, but I'm not complaining.