• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBay Safety Guidelines

29 posts in this topic

Yes, EBay regularly deletes internal email if it's "let's make a deal" oriented, and that should be more than enough reason not to use it.

Do a test, and list a high-dollar auction, shill bid it up even higher, and then use a secondary (or friend's account) to send a "I want to buy X for $Y, and if you agree, please close the auction and you'll save the EBay fees." email.

No way that puppy ever gets through, and if it does, expect a reply from EBay.

I'm thinking they must have some kind of search engine that scans for certain words or phrases? How could they record, organize and store all that info otherwise?

I'd imagine IF part of the motivation is to catch "offer makers outside Ebay" they "might" be scanning for words/phrases like... available, "for sale", the $ sign, "sell you", etc. If they are looking for terroristic or other anti-American content I'd find it hard to believe those matters would be discussed in the ebay email system.

I don't know if this is true or not. In fact, I think I heard some of this in a movie, so it could be bunk... Is it true the government can scan emails for threats/plots against the President of the US? I also remember hearing that if anyone ever checked out or bought certain books (bomb building, "Mien Kamf" sp?, etc.) that the FBI registered this info.

Can anyone confirm or elaborate?

Also... I am also curious when/if the IRS is going to look to get their piece of ALL Ebay transactions. I know the full time dealers ( or larger ones) already report taxes, but I'd wonder where the line is with hobbyists that deal in big numbers buying and selling? I work with pretty large amounts, but until 5 months ago never pocketed any profit... just bought more books. Since then, I had to supplement my struggling business and Wife on disability with some comic generated funds (which kills me). I wonder how it is viewed when you don't take any profits but build your collection?

You seem to have some inside knowledge... can you elaborate on what exactly they can scan for and catch?... and also what about just general/random contacts to other Ebayers? Is the main concern only offers going to sellers to end auctions? Are they scanning for "buzz words" or phrases as I mentioned in my previous post OR is there really some human intervention?

Also... I am also curious when/if the IRS is going to look to get their piece of ALL Ebay transactions. I know the full time dealers ( or larger ones) already report taxes, but I'd wonder where the line is with hobbyists that deal in big numbers buying and selling? I work with pretty large amounts, but until 5 months ago never pocketed any profit... just bought more books. Since then, I had to supplement my struggling business and Wife on disability with some comic generated funds (which kills me). I wonder how it is viewed when you don't take any profits but build your collection?

Good question with a lot of variables & mitigating factors to take into account. For example, if you sell a comic for $1000, it does not mean you pocketed the full 1000. You might have paid $950 for it, or you might have taken a hit after buying it for $1100. And are Ebay fees, Paypal fees, and shipping materials/postage taken into account as costs of doing business?

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

speaking from somebody who JUST filed his taxes, including a rather lengthy Schedule A on my comic business, yes to all of those things. Your raw profit is X, your net profit is X minus postage, fees, shipping materials, etc. etc. etc. Cost of goods sold are included in your profit, etc. etc.

Trust me, its a pain in the rear end!

You wouldn't get a reply, the buyers would. grin.gif

And EBay's email parsing system is not perfect, but I guarantee you do not receive all the "Buy it "Now" emails that are sent through.