• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wall Street Journal Article on Comics & Pressing - Sept 23, 2005

87 posts in this topic

As Garth said, he was the the individual who actually initiated the story. I came along in the early days to help shape it and provide background information and suggest individuals to be interviewed. The reporter is by no means a forumite and knows little to nothing about comic books. It took awhile to educate him to the issues and ensure the focus.

The story was actually probably 2x-3x longer than it eventually was as published. Welcome to the world of editing. I believe the longer version contained a lot more information that dealt with the owners of CGC and the perceived conflict of interest with Friesen's business. That story will be told in more depth eventually. No doubt about it.

This was no puff piece and those who think this was not important simply do not understand the significance of the WSJ. This is a publication that has the highest circulation among any major newspaper, approaching 2 million readers per issue. The article was not as detailed as I had hoped but it set the stage, in a balanced manner, for increased education. This article was just the first of many that will come.

I should note that, IMHO, I do not see a collapse of the comic market. There may be a softening right now, which is fine. We need ebbs and tides in our community just like in any other market. It may, in fact, strengthen our community in the long run.

To me, getting him to investigate Ewert would be an even better story. Explaining to him that there's a major dealer out there destroying books to make a profit and the fact he presses would be worth looking into. Seriously.

Brian, it seems unlikely that WSJ would pick up that kind of story unless you can show some big quantifiable losses and/or celebrities/rich people who've taken hits, in which case it might make the "human interest" story that always appears on the lower left or right corner of the front page.

This story needs to be picked up by the trade rags first before mainstream media will even consider it, absent some element that would attract people's attention.

Mark, that's more interesting back story. Thanks.

Speaking of old articles about comics and peaks and valleys in the market, check out this article from 1994:

http://www.inc.com/magazine/19930401/3494.html

Anybody know what happened to this couple in New Jersey?

The guy in Burlingame's name sounds really familiar.

Marc

[poor allusion - if Steve was even quoted accurately - used cars usually go for deep discount, and I'd compare pressing more to the removal of body damage to a car - and never mentioning it to a prospective buyer.]

You know? That was the first thing that went through my mind and it still sticks. Equating pressing creases out of paper, where the fibers may well be impacted, to washing painted metqal makes little sense. I, too have to wonder if Steve B was accurately quoted. I do hope so!