• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Master Of Kung Fu Movie

23 posts in this topic

"Just because I read and collect comic books does not mean that I can't aptly critizise a movie on it's own merits. Please do not talk to me like I am 12.... "

Sorry. This is a long-running issue with me, so I can be a little short when discussing it

[edit] Also, there was no insult involved with mentioning "people who read comics," so there's no reason to defend yourself there. I read, collect and sell comics, so it would be sort of silly for me to think less of people who read and collect comics. I was simply stating my belief that people who read comics would have a much greater intuitive understanding of WUXIA and would therefore more easy suspend disbelief.

Understood.. wink.gif ..by the way, I did mention that liked the movie...and it seems that I am of the same mindset as joe_c on the "flitting around" sequences in the movie..

My short critique: I am fully aware of the fantasy aspect of the movie and was left with a lump in my throat at the end....one of the finest flicks I have seen.... grin.gif

I find that most of the dislike of the Wuxia genre is due to cultural differences. I bet plenty of asian cultures think burly vaguely homoerotic men running around in bright red/blue spandex is incredibly cornball. (I hate to point out the flaws of the superhero genre but step back and take a long look at some of the characters sometime) A lot of my asian friends who read serious manga (like hellsing etc..) don't care for American flavored comics because it's considered too "childish" by them. Wuxia has flying around but it's all based on mysticism. The gist of the Crouching tiger, hidden dragon storyline is that they learned a secret and very special form of martial arts that allowed them to transcend physical boundaries to become diety like. The "secret" form of martial arts always comes from some ancient grimoire or was taught to them by a master of some sort. This wasn't explained in the movie but it's a common theme within Wuxia flicks and it's pretty interesting once you understand the genre. That being said, I understand a lot of American audiences like to see martial arts movies to be somewhat based in reality. It's really just a cultural quirk rather than a standard everyone should follow.