• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking Books out - Instructions?

42 posts in this topic

Well it looks like I'll be cracking some CGC books out this weekend, and wondered if anyone had some useful links/instructions. I did a search here, but really didn't find what I'm looking for, as all the good Hammer-Time stuff probably got deleted.

Why crack them?

1. To read.

2. To store them properly and safely (better looking, better protected and easier to store).

3. To resubmit for a higher grade.

4. To press them and resubmit for a higher grade.

5. To trim them and resubmit for a higher grade.

6. To increase the inaccuracy of the CGC census.

There are more reasons then that, but any one of those will work.

JC:

I use a butter knife. It can be done safely in 10 seconds or less.

It's not the cracking of the slab that is difficult or problematic - it is the cutting of the inner well that presents the greatest risk of damage . . . blush.gif

I think I have the outer shell down pat, but what about the inner well? I am seriously paranoid about damaging the books at that stage.

I use sharp scissors, instead of an exacto blade, as I feel that the control is better, but that's just me.

Watch out for the static cling of the cover to the inner well - particularly with older, fragile books . . . wink.gif

It's easy. the heat sealed inner well seems flimsy right? Worried about bending the book back and causing a stress? I cracked 10 books in one night -- You'll be amazed how easy it is to pull the inner well apart. But the other way is to cut it with some scissors, but that's a little risky. The well almost peels back.

It's easy. the heat sealed inner well seems flimsy right? Worried about bending the book back and causing a stress? I cracked 10 books in one night -- You'll be amazed how easy it is to pull the inner well apart. But the other way is to cut it with some scissors, but that's a little risky. The well almost peels back.

Not one of those I've cracked, did the inner well "peel back" easily.

I cut the label off first. After that, i cut the plastic so that an opening is at the top.

Then I take my scissors and cut about 3-6 inches down the middle of the plastic. Then I cut about 2-3 inches and pull the "flap" over. Repeat other side. Carefully pull book out and place in Mylar.

Haven't seen the pics of me have you? I'm not exactly the Hulk. Anyway, I'm not sure what it is... maybe it's my definition of "easily". I will say this, you do have to be careful about not bending the book back and putting some nice fat stress in your 9.6 or 9.8 book.

You know what JC... just use the scissors.