• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED
2 2

15 posts in this topic

In my on-going quest to reduce the clutter in my comic room, I am putting up two complete* series for sale here on the boards before I put them up on Ebay.

Now for the rules. A :takeit: in the thread trumps any ongoing PM negotiations. No people are the Probation List or in the Hall of Shame are allowed to bid. I will accept returns to get your money back (except shipping costs), as long as the issues are returned in the same condition as sent, within 7 days of receipt.

* = One series is missing one issue from being complete.

Edited by Math Teacher

Star Trek Volume 2 from DC Comics (1989 - 1996). Issues #1 - #79, only missing issue #80 for a complete run. Also included are Specials #1 - #2 and Annuals #1 - #5 for a total of 86 issues. These issues were read once, then bagged, and then stored in a smoke-free home. Most issues are in VF/NM condition, although there may be a few issues in F condition. All issues have been recently boarded. Some of the later issues have a slight curve in the lower right-hand corner of the front cover. Issues will be sent using UPS Ground, with plenty of additional packing.

Please Note: Issue #79 has a severe bend in the lower right-hand corner of the front cover. I tried to illustrate this in the last picture.

My Ebay asking price will be $90, so I will offer them to fellow board members for $75 in the form of a check, a money order, or Zelle. Buyer will pay 50% of actual shipping costs.

As always, I am willing to negotiate.

Edited by Math Teacher

Spider-Man #1 - #98 (1990 - 2000) Complete Run. Featuring work by Todd MacFarlane, Erik Larsen, and John Romita Jr. Also included is the flashback issue and Scarlet Spider-Man #1 - #2. 103 total issues. Issues were read once, then bagged, and then stored in a smoke-free home. Most issues are in VF/NM, but there may be an occasional issue in F/VF. All issues were newly boarded. Issues will be shipped using UPS Ground with plenty of packing.

Please Note: There are three copies of issue #1, the regular edition, the silver edition, and the polybagged edition. The polybagged edition has never been opened. Could you possibly get a CGC 9.8 with that issue? Anything is possible.

My Ebay asking price will be $300, so I will offer them to fellow board members for $250 using check, money order, or Zelle. Buyer will pay 50% of actual shipping costs.

As always, I am willing to negotiate.

SM07.thumb.jpg.9311d706511fa2e1762c34f86a16969d.jpg

Edited by Math Teacher

5 hours ago, Chazgee said:

Check out Rule #10 . . .

Good luck with the sale!

@chazgee

This post was made by @Buzzettaon March 14:
The PayPal TOS says it.  If PayPal is offered then a discount cannot be offered in the same setting that PayPal is offered, to provide the customer an incentive NOT to use PayPal.   There was a guy doing some shady stuff on a Facebook group a while ago.  He was a tool.  A bunch of the people supposedly got in touch with PayPal and the seller himself complained that PayPal locked his account as they reviewed his transactions. 

This post by @Badger was made immediately after:

This is correct. You cannot offer a discount to encourage people to not use Paypal. You can price things like this:100$ check/money order $103 Paypal. You cannot say you're discouraging Paypal. You cannot have a sign up that says discount for Cash as that violates credit card and Paypal rules. You can have every item individually priced with cash and credit treated equally on the same line with no stated preference but 2 separate and different prices. This rule is why the old "Paypal preferred" logo disappeared roughly 10 years ago. All payment methods must be treated equally with no preference. You cannot state you prefer Visa over Mastercard over Paypal over cash or any combination thereof. You can price your items to reflect your costs where the item is listed for sale.

You cannot penalize Paypal or credit users at checkout. If your stated price is $100 then that is what you have to charge. Surcharges are illegal and against TOS. Discounts are not; if handled properly.

$100 Check/Money Order $103 Paypal perfectly legal. $100 Check/Money Order $103 Paypal Preferred perfectly illegal. $100 Check/Money Order Preferred $103 Paypal illegal. Stating that you will charge an extra 3% at checkout if someone uses Paypal or Credit is illegal on a sign at your POS and it is illegal in a sales listing here on the boards. Saying you will accept all forms of payment but then pricing every item individually $100 Check/Money Order $103 Paypal that is legal because it does not blanket state a preference for one or the other. Legally it is not a surcharge; it is a discount. Very important.

Its all semantics but that's the law for you.

Can you help me understand who is correct? These two posters have dichotomous viewpoints. I don't want anyone to be called a liar, but someone must be in the right and someone must be in the wrong.

I remembered this thread right before I posted my two sets. That is why I had a cash/money order price and a PayPal price. Badger's post was never disputed by anyone, which is why I thought it was OK to do what I did. And we all know that if you make a mistake in a post, there will be 2 - 3 posts almost immediately announcing/correcting the mistake.

10 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

@chazgee

This post was made by @Buzzettaon March 14:
The PayPal TOS says it.  If PayPal is offered then a discount cannot be offered in the same setting that PayPal is offered, to provide the customer an incentive NOT to use PayPal.   There was a guy doing some shady stuff on a Facebook group a while ago.  He was a tool.  A bunch of the people supposedly got in touch with PayPal and the seller himself complained that PayPal locked his account as they reviewed his transactions. 

This post by @Badger was made immediately after:

This is correct. You cannot offer a discount to encourage people to not use Paypal. You can price things like this:100$ check/money order $103 Paypal. You cannot say you're discouraging Paypal. You cannot have a sign up that says discount for Cash as that violates credit card and Paypal rules. You can have every item individually priced with cash and credit treated equally on the same line with no stated preference but 2 separate and different prices. This rule is why the old "Paypal preferred" logo disappeared roughly 10 years ago. All payment methods must be treated equally with no preference. You cannot state you prefer Visa over Mastercard over Paypal over cash or any combination thereof. You can price your items to reflect your costs where the item is listed for sale.

You cannot penalize Paypal or credit users at checkout. If your stated price is $100 then that is what you have to charge. Surcharges are illegal and against TOS. Discounts are not; if handled properly.

$100 Check/Money Order $103 Paypal perfectly legal. $100 Check/Money Order $103 Paypal Preferred perfectly illegal. $100 Check/Money Order Preferred $103 Paypal illegal. Stating that you will charge an extra 3% at checkout if someone uses Paypal or Credit is illegal on a sign at your POS and it is illegal in a sales listing here on the boards. Saying you will accept all forms of payment but then pricing every item individually $100 Check/Money Order $103 Paypal that is legal because it does not blanket state a preference for one or the other. Legally it is not a surcharge; it is a discount. Very important.

Its all semantics but that's the law for you.

Can you help me understand who is correct? These two posters have dichotomous viewpoints. I don't want anyone to be called a liar, but someone must be in the right and someone must be in the wrong.

I remembered this thread right before I posted my two sets. That is why I had a cash/money order price and a PayPal price. Badger's post was never disputed by anyone, which is why I thought it was OK to do what I did. And we all know that if you make a mistake in a post, there will be 2 - 3 posts almost immediately announcing/correcting the mistake.

Great detective work, MT!

As I'm only going by the stated rules, I would wait for @Buzzetta & @Badger to clarify.

Either way, I just wanted to give you the proper info so your thread didn't get pulled. 

42 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

Either way, I just wanted to give you the proper info so your thread didn't get pulled. 

And I appreciated that you did so. And you did so in a polite and definitive way, unlike some other folks around here that can be very condescending.

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#accepting-payments

390815419_ScreenShot2021-04-04at11_19_23PM.thumb.png.d025d0428288d6219f58269113e99a2e.png

You cannot price your items at $100 per money order / check but $103 if you use PayPal. 

Correct, you just cannot state an explicit "surcharge" for credit. As I said, its all semantics but that's the law for you! Relevant statute.

So, it should be fine to say Comic Book A $103. Then, when it is time to pay up, state on the invoice 2 prices: the first one $103 and the second one $100/cash equivalent with no stated preference. A simple "Cash Equivalent Discount available" notice in the seller terms should also be fine.

For @Buzzetta this is not a surcharge, it is a discount. A discount with no stated preference for one buying method, one way or another, is perfectly in accordance with PayPal terms and the law.

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Correct, you just cannot state an explicit "surcharge" for credit. As I said, its all semantics but that's the law for you! Relevant statute.

So, it should be fine to say Comic Book A $103. Then, when it is time to pay up, state on the invoice 2 prices: the first one $103 and the second one $100/cash equivalent with no stated preference. A simple "Cash Equivalent Discount available" notice in the seller terms should also be fine.

For @Buzzetta this is not a surcharge, it is a discount. A discount with no stated preference for one buying method, one way or another, is perfectly in accordance with PayPal terms and the law.

I would not take your advice not because of any argument with you or because you are necessarily wrong.  I would not take your advice because PayPal doesn't seem to care about semantics.  It does not matter what you, or I, view as a discount or a surcharge.  That can be argued while the account is tied up and they conduct an investigation.  

Rob Ross of the Facebook Group, GI Joe Trader PX runs a tight ship.  On March 8th, look at what he called for members of the group to do.   People are in fact screen capping and reporting.  If anyone wants to argue with PayPal over discount v surcharge they can be my guest.   I do know from the group that there have been plenty of people that had their account tied up pending investigations as PayPal sort through transactions to see what is owed. In some cases, some lost their selling privileges entirely.

Price the item accordingly with the fees built in or realize it is the cost of doing business. 

To me, it is not worth the risk to argue semantics. 

PS: For example, I sold two GI Joe figures for $180 + shipping yesterday in his group.  I had it listed at $190.  Buyer offered $150 and asked me to meet him in the middle at $170.  I said $180 + shipping and best I would do.  He asked for $180 shipped.  I knew what I wanted to take home on this figures after fees and the only way to do that was by $180+shipping.

Buyer paid... they go out today.  The math is not that hard. 

85486028_ScreenShot2021-04-05at8_22_14AM.thumb.png.4d15ad91ca11d7c75ba82ade55a277ef.png

There was a question in the ask CGC thread. I'm not sure the question belonged there, but I got a notification that I answered and I'll repeat it here.

OUR board rules our (this has nothing to do with any other venues)

No matter how you word it, the pricing for payment with Paypal must be the same or less than the other methods.

So, you can price them all $100 Check, MO, Zelle or PP

Or you could price them $100 is what you pay when you pay with Paypal, and it's  $103  if you use a Check, MO or Zelle.

You cannot give the advantage to a method other than Paypal, if you chose to use Paypal.

Edited by cgcmod11
too many teachers here, I corrected the grammar;)