• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading costs

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys so i am pretty new to comic collecting started a couple months ago and wandet to get some of my personal favorites graded thor god of thunder 5,6 some king in black ones and so on problem is i am from germany and dont know what to expect price wise in the end i wandet to get 15 comics or so pressed/cleaned and graded is there someone who could help me 

43 minutes ago, Dennis Beeck said:

Hey guys so i am pretty new to comic collecting started a couple months ago and wandet to get some of my personal favorites graded thor god of thunder 5,6 some king in black ones and so on problem is i am from germany and dont know what to expect price wise in the end i wandet to get 15 comics or so pressed/cleaned and graded is there someone who could help me 

I don't know the value of the books you're looking to get graded, but before you jump in, I would look at the value of graded copies to see if it's worthwhile.  In my opinion, if you only plan on having a few graded copies in your collection, I would only submit books that are worth $200+ raw.  I haven't finished King In Black yet, but I don't see the value in slabbing something like issues 3 (for example) unless it's a key.  If the cost of slabbing is more than the value of the book, then what's the point?  Just leave it in mylites/fullbacks if that's the case.  If you want to slab a book that has personal value, then by all means, go for it if that's what you want.  If you enjoy building the largest registry of a set, then I won't dissuade you from that either.  But if you're slabbing a book that is a dime a dozen and will be in $1 bins two years from now, I'd save the money.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't know the value of the books you're looking to get graded, but before you jump in, I would look at the value of graded copies to see if it's worthwhile.  In my opinion, if you only plan on having a few graded copies in your collection, I would only submit books that are worth $200+ raw.  I haven't finished King In Black yet, but I don't see the value in slabbing something like issues 3 (for example) unless it's a key.  If the cost of slabbing is more than the value of the book, then what's the point?  Just leave it in mylites/fullbacks if that's the case.  If you want to slab a book that has personal value, then by all means, go for it if that's what you want.  If you enjoy building the largest registry of a set, then I won't dissuade you from that either.  But if you're slabbing a book that is a dime a dozen and will be in $1 bins two years from now, I'd save the money.

this is sound advice. Also, I'd consider just emailing CGC in either London or the USA after checking out the CGC website first.  The actual paid customer service employees might have some very German specific info that could be of use to your situation, especially as it relates to shipping, insurance, customs, exchange rates, etc, and they could walk you through the whole process and answer specific questions about your situation.

good luck