• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with grade - tape down spine
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I have just resumed comic collecting after a long hiatus and am new to the area of grading. I have a chance to purchase this, but am not sure how to grade it, especially because of the tape that runs down the spine. Around what grade do you think this would get? Thanks so much for any help that you can give!

Daredevil-page-001.jpg

Daredevil2-page-001.jpg

CGC grades books with tape as if the tape was not present, having said that, what defect is the tape attempting to repair?

If it is actually holding the covers together due to a long spine split as opposed to someone placing the tape as a precautionary measure that will make a difference in the grade.

If this book has a long spine split it could be a FR 1.0 or FR/GD 1.5.

IMO if there is not a spine split more than 2" long, no pieces missing and the cover/pages are not brittle the book could get a GD 2.0.

Edited by marvelmaniac

21 hours ago, uvalusk said:

I have just resumed comic collecting after a long hiatus and am new to the area of grading. I have a chance to purchase this, but am not sure how to grade it, especially because of the tape that runs down the spine. Around what grade do you think this would get? Thanks so much for any help that you can give!

Daredevil-page-001.jpg

Daredevil2-page-001.jpg

Honestly, the tape is not the big issue. CGC will just ignore it in the final grade for low grade books like this. The big question is why it's taped. If it's just to reinforce the spine, then this could be a 3.0, if it's to "fix" a split spine, then it could go all the way down to a 1.5 or something like that. Ask the dealer how much of the spine is split, and you'll have your answer, will make a HUGE difference in price.