• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's see your 'frayed spine' downgraded slabs!!!

29 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Shane Larsen said:

I got the frayed spine notation on a fairly recent submission (only note). Heir to the Empire #1; came back a 9.0.

Would it be possible for you to share a picture or two here, of the book's 'frayed spine'?  Assuming you have the book in hand now. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Shane Larsen said:

I got the frayed spine notation on a fairly recent submission (only note). Heir to the Empire #1; came back a 9.0.

I have worked on a ton of those copies. Never seen that notation on any submissions. Did recently get a book come back with “canvassing” that I am still scratching my head about. 

Newbie graders 😖

4 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I have worked on a ton of those copies. Never seen that notation on any submissions. Did recently get a book come back with “canvassing” that I am still scratching my head about. 

Newbie graders 😖

:censored::frustrated::mad:

To top it off, the books I asked Tony to send back because of this possible issue arrived here damaged.  Now he as to do a claim...he did insure the package.  As if you guys didn't already have to put up with these days.  :facepalm:

On 5/5/2021 at 1:57 PM, Galen130 said:

Would it be possible for you to share a picture or two here, of the book's 'frayed spine'?  Assuming you have the book in hand now. (thumbsu

Unfortunately, I sold it 😔

Definitely was 'frayed', but was the first time I saw the notation. I've also seen an Heir #1 9.8 floating around w/ that 'frayed' spine.

On 5/5/2021 at 2:52 PM, joeypost said:

Newbie graders 😖

Newbie graders indeed. Past few prescreens have been bonkers (w/ odd notes) & NOT in a good way. 

“I've also seen an Heir #1 9.8 floating around w/ that 'frayed' spine.”

So it was actually graded a 9.8 with the ‘frayed spine’?

3 hours ago, Galen130 said:

“I've also seen an Heir #1 9.8 floating around w/ that 'frayed' spine.”

So it was actually graded a 9.8 with the ‘frayed spine’?

Yes sir. It was quite awhile ago though and probably sold before it reached its 1.5k price point.

2 minutes ago, Shane Larsen said:

Yes sir. It was quite awhile ago though and probably sold before it reached its 1.5k price point.

If it was a while ago, the frayed spine defect probably wasn’t a thing then...just a normal production issue.

I figured I’d wrap this thread up, more or less.  I still haven’t received definitive picture evidence of this issue, but it’s kind of become a moot point.  When I opted to have Tony send these books back to me because I didn’t want to risk a potential low grade for this frayed spine issue, our wonderful USPS decided to damage the package on the way back to Colorado.  All 5 received mild corner bends, with one or two receiving a color breaking crease.  Not Tony’s fault at all, but I’m not going to bother with grading them anyway if this frayed spine thing goes away.  Problem solved!!! lol  Thanks everyone for your inputs. (thumbsu

Edited by Galen130