• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading impact?

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I am new to collecting, and I’m getting ready to send in some books for CGC to grade. Yesterday, I snagged a couple more that I’ve been wanting for awhile now, and have some questions on how you (someone more experienced than me) thinks of these defects, and how it will affect the overall grade? I’d like to think both of my books are in the 9.4 range or higher, but will be happy with any NM condition. I’ve attached some photos below. 

My main concern is the small abrasions/color rubbing on my Darth Vader 3. Along with the fraying on the spine. This book means a lot, and I’m really hoping I get a high grade. 

All input is valuable to me, and I really appreciate all of the available feedback. Thanks everyone!!!

CBC0CE3D-2952-4FF5-91E9-F09DB8D167DC.jpeg

9D9FA5E6-CF9C-4810-B0F4-83591F3CF02E.jpeg

F107DBA8-D198-4112-BF2F-5A4D48595891.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by JSellers

Also, the color break you see on the back; the book wasn’t folded, and when I rub my finger over it, there is no bump or evidence of a scratch. Could this be a possible print error? If so, how would that affect the grade? 

I would take good pictures of the front and back cover and post over in the spare a grade section.  Those guys are great. They will give grades and tell you why they think it deserves that grade.  Keep in mind, it's hard to grade without holding the book, so the grades they share will be a pretty good indication of where the book is, but you won't know for sure until it's slabbed. 

It's always helpful to post detailed picks of any major defects (like the ones you shared here).  

That long color breaking crease doesn't appear to be a manufacturing error in my opinion. There may be some known defect with this specific book I'm not aware of. 

That long crease will be a bigger impact on the grade than the scuffs around the staples. In my opinion, you would have a tough time getting to a 9.4 with that.