• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Offers on comics through Metropolis

77 posts in this topic

Y'know, I do like Vincent, so I really would rather not rip Metro, as I respect them, but their pricing does pain me sometimes, and I would love to do more business with Metro, but the mindset is just frustrating to me.

OK, JE a is scumbag..

And Metro's prices are way too high...

So who's the next dealer to get their A Hole ripped?

Sheesssshhhhh. poke2.gif

All that said, I tend to agree with you on Metro's prices. On two CGC 9.4 books they offered free shipping (and I asked for a 10% discount). About a year later the books are still there and I was able to get copies in the same grade from Heritage and eBay for about 25-30% less.

Of course they have many books that you can't get anywhere else. thumbsup2.gif

Y'know, I do like Vincent, so I really would rather not rip Metro, as I respect them, but their pricing does pain me sometimes, and I would love to do more business with Metro, but the mindset is just frustrating to me.

OK, JE a is scumbag..

Sheesssshhhhh. poke2.gif

All that said, I tend to agree with you on Metro's prices. On two CGC 9.4 books they offered free shipping (and I asked for a 10% discount). About a year later the books are still there and I was able to get copies in the same grade from Heritage and eBay for about 25-30% less.

Remember this fact: Metropolis can sell their books for what ever they want. You don't have to buy them. That's the cool thing about America! Walks away, or pay for it, it's your choice. Unlike high gasoline prices, which are really forced upon us (pay or don't get to work), you have a choice. Don't be mad at Steve for holding out for his price. Heck they are his books, shouldn't he decide when and if he wants to sell them? Who said he has to give anyone a discount. Except me of course.

Try and barter at McDonalds. It's not going to happen. The prices are set, pay or hit another drive thru. Gripe about something else. Some of you sound like sore losers. I don't care for the layout of their website (search engine needs help, etc..), but I love the selection of books. Stellar!

Absolutely agree with chips on this one. You dont have to buy. WIth all the new competition in town sooner or later things should change, with their inventory they have built up certain luxuries, but if competitors bite into their share of the market you will see policy moves, or maybe you won't it is after all their business and their comic books. They dont have to sell, you don't have to buy - or they sell and you buy.

OK, JE a is scumbag..

Sheesssshhhhh. poke2.gif

Remember this fact: Metropolis can sell their books for what ever they want. You don't have to buy them. That's the cool thing about America! Walks away, or pay for it, it's your choice. Unlike high gasoline prices, which are really forced upon us (pay or don't get to work), you have a choice. Don't be mad at Steve for holding out for his price. Heck they are his books, shouldn't he decide when and if he wants to sell them? Who said he has to give anyone a discount. Except me of course.

Try and barter at McDonalds. It's not going to happen. The prices are set, pay or hit another drive thru. Gripe about something else. Some of you sound like sore losers. I don't care for the layout of their website (search engine needs help, etc..), but I love the selection of books. Stellar!

I get what your saying Stuart but I don't agree with the take it or leave it attitude. We have been complaining for years that Metro's website was lacking, not enough scans, etc and now they are revamping it (presumably because of the feedback). Also, I believe they recently asked for feedback on their new weekly sales program that they have been running and many of these issues were brought up. Personally I think most of their more sought after books are way over priced and if they came out here and used your logic "you have a choice, take it or leave it", I probably would never buy from them again. I know this is not the case as Vince has stated on many occassions that it doesn't hurt to ask.

The impression I get from the feedback is that a lot of us want to do business with Metro (myself included) but mainly because of pricing issues are finding alternative avenues to spend their money. I have not made a purchase from Metro for over a year and I only occassionally scan thier website (I'm hoping the new website will change that) yet I peruse others on a daily basis and I have certainly bought more than a few books during that time. Multiply that but the number of people that frequent these boards and I'm sure that equates to thousands of dollars of lost business.

I think people tend to put a book on ignore if its priced too high (how people here actually bought off Jay Parino's website?) but I'm not about to tell Steve and Vince how they should run their business. However, I'd be willing to bet that there is a happy medium to be enjoyed if we saw a slight reduction in sticker prices that would be offset by a healthly increase in sales volumes. flowerred.gif

Absolutely agree with chips on this one. You dont have to buy. WIth all the new competition in town sooner or later things should change, with their inventory they have built up certain luxuries, but if competitors bite into their share of the market you will see policy moves, or maybe you won't it is after all their business and their comic books. They dont have to sell, you don't have to buy - or they sell and you buy.

You are correct. No one has to buy from them.

But the topic of the post was about "Making an Offer" on Metro books.

And from many collectors experience (mine included), Metro doesn't discount HG CGC at all. Nothing (well free shipping).

No one has to buy from them is right, but let's be fair -- I'm making an observation overall. Why do we bring up threads on ebay about guys who charge insane amounts for their books -- I mean, nobody has to buy them...

Bottom line is that although that's certainly the situation, that nobody has to buy the books, it certainly doesn't stop me from having an opinion about what I think of the bid/pricing structure.

In a way I don't blame Metro for wanting to be in charge of their sales. What I mean is that if they came out and said, yes we'll give a 15% discount for HG slabbed SA books, 10% dicount on all GA books, etc., then people will come to expect it as the norm. Since they're probably not living off of the books they sell per each given month, they can afford to wait and find a good deal on their books. They have that luxury and are using it to their benefit.

For instance, on the spreadsheet I've created for all my CGC books (and some raw), I've broken them down into four categories:

1.) Books I want to get rid of and receive whatever price I get. I typically don't want these books in my collection and am willing to take a loss on them if I have to. These may include mid grades, duplicates, etc.

2.) Books that I'm o.k. with having in my collection, but can be replaced at any given time. Since I don't mind keeping them I'll price them fairly on CL or Ebay, and if they sell......great. Otherwise, they're still a part of my collection and I'm fine with it. If I need the money to make other purchases, then I'll definitely sell at a discount. If I lost money in the process by not taking a better previous offer, then so be it.

3.) Books that I really want in my collection, but would be willing to sell if the price was right. If you receive the deal of a lifetime, then chances are that you'll take it. If the book sits on CL's website for a year and doesn't have much action, then I can still enjoy having it in my collection during that time.

4.) Untouchables - These are books that I won't even think of listing since they're my pride and joy. If I lose these books, then I might as well give up collecting.

Now if some major event comes along and I have to sell fast to finance a wedding, buying a house, etc., then all bets are off. Metro probably takes a similar approach since they can afford to at this time, and as nochips stated it's within their right just like any of us.

If I had a choice of them considering more offers on books or just providing nice scans for the books they do have, I would rather have the scans. I love thier inventory, and would really like to do more business with them, but it's thier website that is causing me not to, not their prices.

With that said, I just bought three beautifull high grade bronze age books from them (raw) that were gorgeous and at nice prices. They do have deals on their website, you just have to search them out and not expect them to be HG CGC books.

scan flexibility would certainly be a step in the right direction, and given a choice, i have to admit I'd rather have more scans up on the site as well.

I also agree, since many of us have pet peeves (sp.) about certain defects to books (even if the final grade is accurate).

Where do you think Metro gets their books. wink.gif

Absolutely! Their site is great for window shopping.

However, I've yet to see something that I really wanted and was willing to pay the premium for. Most of the GA books they have that are in my price range are too low in grade. But, I'll keep looking. grin.gif

When looking for an explanation for Metros high (and non-negotiable) prices, all you have to do is look at their address. They have a headquarters in NYC to keep up. That ain't cheap!

The highest graded book I've ever bought from Metropolis had probably been a vg+ golden age. All have had marginal paper and have been on the bottom end of their grade. When I say that, I mean that the books have just squeeked in at what they called it...barely. Since they've all been pretty low priced, I've only returned one, which was overgraded, a Top Notch 14 which they called a g/vg with marginal paper and which I would have called a good at best. I returned it with no hassle or questions asked. It's tough on lower grade collectors because they won't give you descriptions of books and act like it's beneath their dignity to do that. My characterization of course, but that's the way I see it. I've stopped dealing with them because there was someone there who always acted like it was an imposition to answer questions about books being in stock.Close to rude behavior in a big city sort of way if you know what I mean. No great loss for either party.

The highest graded book I've ever bought from Metropolis had probably been a vg+ golden age. All have had marginal paper and have been on the bottom end of their grade. When I say that, I mean that the books have just squeeked in at what they called it...barely. Since they've all been pretty low priced, I've only returned one, which was overgraded, a Top Notch 14 which they called a g/vg with marginal paper and which I would have called a good at best. I returned it with no hassle or questions asked. It's tough on lower grade collectors because they won't give you descriptions of books and act like it's beneath their dignity to do that. My characterization of course, but that's the way I see it. I've stopped dealing with them because there was someone there who always acted like it was an imposition to answer questions about books being in stock.Close to rude behavior in a big city sort of way if you know what I mean. No great loss for either party.

I agree, and the way I see it, if you're not having fun spending your spare (hobby) money then why bother? Lots of dealers out there, and nothing you and I collect cannot be found elsewhere. thumbsup2.gif

Gentlemen- Thanks for your feedback. Some of it is hard to hear and I don't agree with everything I am reading but I wil say this-your constructive criticisms will be taken into account.

A few things in the mean time-we needed to make a cut off price for scans simply due to lack of man power. This is not personal. Having said that if you are serious about buying a book at our listed price you can always ask Ed for a scan -if he has time he will do it. If he doesn't he may say he can't. Don't take this as a slight just that there are not enough hours in the day and we have to do what makes sense. I am definitely planning on implementing procedures in which more books get scanned.

Also on our next generation of our web site, books that we won't discount will not have a make an offer option. Right now I don't have that option.

I am very troubled by what Black hand wrote about someone giving him an attitude on the phone-that is not the impression I want the Metropolis I have spent the last 6+ years of my life building to give to any potential customer-big or small. If any of you have troubles like this in the future from any staff members please PM me or email me at vincentz@metropolisent.com-with full details. I am sorry BH experienced this. As for his comments on the grading-I look at that as a simple disagreement. I do offer a very good return policy and feel when we grade a book there is no intentional overgrading going on. If you would like to discuss the matter please call 800-229-6387 ext. 14.

Sincerely,

Vincent

Gentlemen- Thanks for your feedback. Some of it is hard to hear and I don't agree with everything I am reading but I wil say this-your constructive criticisms will be taken into account.

A few things in the mean time-we needed to make a cut off price for scans simply due to lack of man power. This is not personal. Having said that if you are serious about buying a book at our listed price you can always ask Ed for a scan -if he has time he will do it. If he doesn't he may say he can't. Don't take this as a slight just that there are not enough hours in the day and we have to do what makes sense. I am definitely planning on implementing procedures in which more books get scanned.

Also on our next generation of our web site, books that we won't discount will not have a make an offer option. Right now I don't have that option.

I am very troubled by what Black hand wrote about someone giving him an attitude on the phone-that is not the impression I want the Metropolis I have spent the last 6+ years of my life building to give to any potential customer-big or small. If any of you have troubles like this in the future from any staff members please PM me or email me at vincentz@metropolisent.com-with full details. I am sorry BH experienced this. As for his comments on the grading-I look at that as a simple disagreement. I do offer a very good return policy and feel when we grade a book there is no intentional overgrading going on. If you would like to discuss the matter please call 800-229-6387 ext. 14.

Sincerely,

Vincent

I just bought a bunch of high grade books from Vinnie. I paid a lot and I received a lot. If you are not happy with a book, they take it right back. No questions asked. Yes, you "may" pay more, but you will get more piece of mind.

I just bought my first books from Metropolis and I think they were quite fair. They were ASM's graded 8.0 and 8.5 -- they moved on their price and I think it was a fair deal.

Kudos to their CGC guarantee thumbsup2.gif