• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tom Grindberg Ghost Rider Pencils ... Published?

4 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure they are unpublished if they're from a young Tom Grindberg (and the signature seems to match more recent ones) and if they date from 1982.

Grindberg pencils began to be published in 1984 in DC's New Talent Showcase (issue #7), so this 1982 pages could be a try-out from Marvel when he was 21 years old. It was a bit early, too, IMHO, to be shown in the new talent section of "Marvel Age" (1983-1994) but I can't be sure at 100% (I don't have all the early issues in my collection) 

The only time I remember seeing him doing the (new, not the old) Ghost Rider was when he had developped his awful Mignola lookalike style (see Marvel Holiday Special '93).

Nothing compared to his recent and (splendid) Tarzan pages. :flamed:

Edited by Ecclectica

12 minutes ago, Ecclectica said:

I'm pretty sure they are unpublished if they're from a young Tom Grindberg (and the signature seems to match more recent ones) and if they date from 1982.

Grindberg pencils began to be published in 1984 in DC's New Talent Showcase (issue #7), so this 1982 pages could be a try-out from Marvel when he was 21 years old. It was a bit early, too, IMHO, to be shown in the new talent section of "Marvel Age" (1983-1994) but I can't be sure at 100% (I don't have all the early issues in my collection) 

The only time I remember seeing him doing the (new, not the old) Ghost Rider was when he had developped his awful Mignola lookalike style (see Marvel Holiday Special '93).

Nothing compared to his recent and (splendid) Tarzan pages. :flamed:

Thank you!  I just ordered a copy of that Marvel Holiday Special, though it sounds like I might have to adjust my artistic taste sense-o-meter.  I really like these early pages. 

Here's a link to a pretty cool Grindberg interview transcript...... https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2009/12/looking-back-with-tom-grindberg.html

David

56 minutes ago, aokartman said:

Thank you!  I just ordered a copy of that Marvel Holiday Special, though it sounds like I might have to adjust my artistic taste sense-o-meter.  I really like these early pages. 

Here's a link to a pretty cool Grindberg interview transcript...... https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2009/12/looking-back-with-tom-grindberg.html

David

Hum... You will see that adjustment will be needed indeed... I could send pictures here, but I will not spoil you... You will see that your pages are really better IMHO than the short story he did in the MHS (I suppose working for Marvel in the mid 90's was not easy - when you were not an famous name, either you copied somebody, either somebody instructed you to copy a famous artist).

Edited by Ecclectica