• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moses comics

15 posts in this topic

Yep. That's a coverless copy of Moses #1, published by the American Bible Society. That 1983 date sounds about right. There are 3 issues of Moses and a whole lot of other Bible comic adaptation with that distinctive yellow frame cover (well, not on your copy, but...). Later titles were published by United Bible Societies (the same actual group of people was responsible, obviously), well into the 90s at the least.

I'm not sure where the Moses series was printed. In general, UBS comics were printed in Hong Kong, Malasyia, or Indonesia, for distribution in southeast Asia as a sort of missionary outreach. Most of them are in English, but at least some of the books exist in localized translations (I know there are Tagalog, Malay, and Lao books, at a minimum). I strongly doubt that all titles exist in all languages.

Zero idea how many issues there are total, either. I know of no comprehensive index to them, nor have I ever known anyone collecting them. Offhand, I'd guess somewhere between one and two dozen. At one point, I think I was told average print runs are around 20k. Survival rate of distributed copies is probably grim, but there are warehouse copies out there for -- well, since I don't know how many issues there are, I can't say "most" of them -- but for a lot of them.

Obviously, of course, the coverless copy isn't ideal for collectibility (and neither are the hole-punched copies in that video -- the books were not released punched like that).

17 hours ago, Qalyar said:

Yep. That's a coverless copy of Moses #1, published by the American Bible Society. That 1983 date sounds about right. There are 3 issues of Moses and a whole lot of other Bible comic adaptation with that distinctive yellow frame cover (well, not on your copy, but...). Later titles were published by United Bible Societies (the same actual group of people was responsible, obviously), well into the 90s at the least.

I'm not sure where the Moses series was printed. In general, UBS comics were printed in Hong Kong, Malasyia, or Indonesia, for distribution in southeast Asia as a sort of missionary outreach. Most of them are in English, but at least some of the books exist in localized translations (I know there are Tagalog, Malay, and Lao books, at a minimum). I strongly doubt that all titles exist in all languages.

Zero idea how many issues there are total, either. I know of no comprehensive index to them, nor have I ever known anyone collecting them. Offhand, I'd guess somewhere between one and two dozen. At one point, I think I was told average print runs are around 20k. Survival rate of distributed copies is probably grim, but there are warehouse copies out there for -- well, since I don't know how many issues there are, I can't say "most" of them -- but for a lot of them.

Obviously, of course, the coverless copy isn't ideal for collectibility (and neither are the hole-punched copies in that video -- the books were not released punched like that).

Great info! 

52 minutes ago, qwertyu1 said:

Okay if I find a collector who is willing to buy this comic without its cover,at what price should I sell it???

I would put it on eBay at auction with a starting bid of $0.99 and see if you get any interests. 

My guess is there isn't big demand and a coverless one won't see much action. 

3 hours ago, qwertyu1 said:

Okay if I find a collector who is willing to buy this comic without its cover,at what price should I sell it???

Unfortunately, not everything is worth money. The problem here is going to be finding someone who wants to pay for this. There is essentially no market for coverless comics from this time period. The only coverless comics that hold any value are from very rare early comics, where intact copies are both very expensive and not readily available. More recent coverless books are generally viewed as damaged, incomplete, and unsuitable as collectibles. For the sake of argument, and without getting into the details of comic grading, let's say that a coverless modern comic is worth 1% of the value of an intact book in generally the condition it was in when first issued. In reality, they are probably worth less than that.

These ABS/UBS comics don't sell very often, because there's not a lot of demand for them in general, but the ones that are currently available are mostly priced between $5 and $10. I think those prices are high for most of these books, and that's why they are still available for sale! Maybe for some of the very low-print run language variants. But Moses #1 was one of the higher print run issues. I think intact copies of Moses 1 in nice shape are probably worth $2 or $3. But most comic book dealers would probably put such a book in their "dollar box" (that is, sell it for $1) because demand is very low; people sometimes buy unusual books out of dollar boxes as curiosities.

But that's for intact copies. Not coverless ones. Whether we price a complete copy of Moses 1 at $1, $3, or $5, it is clear that your coverless copy is worth pennies at best. After you factor in shipping, transaction fees, and the literal time it would take to try to list this, there's really no way to make money by selling this.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

6 hours ago, qwertyu1 said:

Don't worry because you aren't going to find anybody and even if you do, consider yourself very lucky if they'll give you 2 bucks for it. You'd probably have more success changing water to blood.

3 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:

Bibles get given away. If a book of first appearances are given away, why would anyone pay for propaganda 

Without getting into judging anyone's politics or religion, but purely from a profit situation, I COULD see a profitable situation where you took a live video of someone of fame/notoriety within the Judeo/Christian crowd signing said book(s).  Then you frame the book with a photo of the person signing the book, and obviously give them a copy of the video, and then try to sell that whole thing as a package.  If planned properly, maybe even get it CGC SS'd.  This of course is a VERY specific situation, but in the unlikely event that a person is a position to do this, it could be a consideration and there could be a market.  

I won't name names of who I think would be a profitable candidate (as to not inflame potential controversy), but if one was in a position to get this done, they'd probably already know.

Good luck.

13 minutes ago, revat said:

Without getting into judging anyone's politics or religion, but purely from a profit situation, I COULD see a profitable situation where you took a live video of someone of fame/notoriety within the Judeo/Christian crowd signing said book(s).  Then you frame the book with a photo of the person signing the book, and obviously give them a copy of the video, and then try to sell that whole thing as a package.  If planned properly, maybe even get it CGC SS'd.  This of course is a VERY specific situation, but in the unlikely event that a person is a position to do this, it could be a consideration and there could be a market.  

I won't name names of who I think would be a profitable candidate (as to not inflame potential controversy), but if one was in a position to get this done, they'd probably already know.

Good luck.

How are you still single?