• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Press and Clean my slabbed FF2?
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I got this in the mail today. I don’t have buyers remorse but I noticed that the book didn’t look as bright yellow as the pictures seem to portray it.

A few points. One is I can tell the book was never pressed.  Second I’m wondering if the cleaning might brighten the colors a little bit? And third this seems to be the darkest blue/gray? shaded CGC plastic case I have ever seen. I’m just wondering if maybe the case itself got sun faded or something?  Seems like it’s not nearly as clear as it should be based on how the edges look. Am I right?

so should I send this off to have it clean pressed and re-graded? Obviously I risk the book coming back at a lower grade but in your opinion do you think it would come back as a lower grade with work done to it? If you had to lay odds up on that, what would they be?   Am I taking a big chance here or is this a no brainer?This would be a big decision for me so I really would appreciate your input.

82D88951-D07A-49D1-B13C-C080F3FC14C7.jpeg

8E8DC0AB-81D4-4E0D-B42F-71C5BF80BCC9.jpeg

7ECA94EC-0C18-4C3D-AE6D-D918EA6D3E0A.jpeg

92190DEF-17B4-4400-AAD1-852B1031DAF4.jpeg

A995C628-F013-4CE5-971B-5C08C555D193.jpeg

DAECA0C9-A410-4B0E-8ADB-AE7296C77FE9.jpeg

06E2018F-E127-4CF8-A523-307FA35BBBB8.jpeg

9E8F93DB-0E17-40A6-A85F-0F437D58220D.jpeg

Edited by Westy Steve

Perhaps someone framed the slab causing some fade and discoloring? 

I'll be honest the slab color change is hard to see in the pictures. 

I do think you have potential for a grade bump. Maybe to 2.5. Perhaps a 3 depending on how intact that spine is. 

I don't think a dry clean will make the colors pop anymore. It might clean up some of the mild staining, which could help a touch. 

8 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Obviously I risk the book coming back at a lower grade but in your opinion do you think it would come back as a lower grade with work done to it?

The book does not appear to be over graded.  And what would a competent clean and press do that could lower the grade?  I mean a fully detached cover is allowed up to 2.5, and this cover looks pretty secure.  Certainly there is risk, but I think you have a bit of upside with this book.  A clean and press would surely improve the presentation and quite possibly the grade.  So if you're going for a nicer looking book then, yeah, clean and press it.

If you're doing this for purely monetary reasons, then what is your risk vs reward?  Understand that the difference in value between a 1.8 and a 2.0 is about $200, and the difference between a 2.0 and a 3.0 is about $300 so there is quite a bit of price compression at the lower grades.  The cost to grade, press (CCS), ship and insure will probably cost at least $200-$250 (Express) so there is little to gain unless you hit 3.5/4.0.

26 minutes ago, MPH1964 said:

The book does not appear to be over graded.  And what would a competent clean and press do that could lower the grade?  I mean a fully detached cover is allowed up to 2.5, and this cover looks pretty secure.  Certainly there is risk, but I think you have a bit of upside with this book.  A clean and press would surely improve the presentation and quite possibly the grade.  So if you're going for a nicer looking book then, yeah, clean and press it.

If you're doing this for purely monetary reasons, then what is your risk vs reward?  Understand that the difference in value between a 1.8 and a 2.0 is about $200, and the difference between a 2.0 and a 3.0 is about $300 so there is quite a bit of price compression at the lower grades.  The cost to grade, press (CCS), ship and insure will probably cost at least $200-$250 (Express) so there is little to gain unless you hit 3.5/4.0.

Thanks for the info...Not to bias anyone's response, but I'm looking at it the same way...the book is unlikely to drop a grade with a clean and press.  It's hard to gauge the potential increase in value, but I think you're under estimating it.  Your estimate that a drop to 1.8 would be $200 is about right as I'm seeing ask prices above $1,000 per point.  I would think that the (approximately) $1,000 per point applies to the upside also, so a 0.5 point bump would increase the value of the book by $500, which is part of the reason I'm doing this...not to sell it, but rather to have a more valuable book that my heirs can sell (though all bets are off if the market gets just stupid with Skrull mania).  Also, I'd like a more modern case and I'd like the book cleaned and pressed for better eye appeal....but is it worth the risk?

53 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Thanks for the info...Not to bias anyone's response, but I'm looking at it the same way...the book is unlikely to drop a grade with a clean and press.  It's hard to gauge the potential increase in value, but I think you're under estimating it.  Your estimate that a drop to 1.8 would be $200 is about right as I'm seeing ask prices above $1,000 per point.  I would think that the (approximately) $1,000 per point applies to the upside also, so a 0.5 point bump would increase the value of the book by $500, which is part of the reason I'm doing this...not to sell it, but rather to have a more valuable book that my heirs can sell (though all bets are off if the market gets just stupid with Skrull mania).  Also, I'd like a more modern case and I'd like the book cleaned and pressed for better eye appeal....but is it worth the risk?

Go Collect is where those numbers came from, and those are selling prices aggregated from a number of sources.  (Including eBay, where there are some stupid crazy asking prices.)

In any case, I'm asking $1,000,000 USD for my Dazzler #1 variant (no cover).  I might not get that but I'm holding out hope... :wishluck:

I hear you. But when I use go collect I look at the most recent sales in low grades to calculate a price per point. In today’s market there’s no sense in using 2020 data just because it corresponds to the numerical grade on the slab.  Some quick ratio calculations are prudent. Look at the price activity for 0.5 for that issue.  Granted, weird stuff happens at the bottom of the grading scale but it gives you a flavor.

Edited by Westy Steve

2 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Personally, I wouldn't do it...

54 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Why not? You don't think it will get a bump? Or the risk of damage is to great?

Always curious to hear your perspective. 

Thank you for that---I certainly appreciate it!  

What I've been seeing on these boards lately is a lot of folks thinking that a clean and press is going to transform their book into something it's not. In certain cases, a C & P is beneficial---it can reduce soiling, dents, bends and other flaws and often dramatically increase the appearance of the book. 

To me, this book has some serious flaws which won't be reduced or eliminated with a C & P. Furthermore, it may not respond well to the rigors of shipping and pressing; it seems a bit fragile, for lack of a better term. If I balance the risk against the potential reward, I personally can't justify it. 

With that said, I absolutely wish the owner the best possible outcome should they decide to move forward with this endeavor... :wishluck: 

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Thank you for that---I certainly appreciate it!  

What I've been seeing on these boards lately is a lot of folks thinking that a clean and press is going to transform their book into something it's not. In certain cases, a C & P is beneficial---it can reduce soiling, dents, bends and other flaws and often dramatically increase the appearance of the book. 

To me, this book has some serious flaws which won't be reduced or eliminated with a C & P. Furthermore, it may not respond well to the rigors of shipping and pressing; it seems a bit fragile, for lack of a better term. If I balance the risk against the potential reward, I personally can't justify it. 

With that said, I absolutely wish the owner the best possible outcome should they decide to move forward with this endeavor... :wishluck: 

I agree as well, with one caveat; a clean/press can also make things worse a bit.  Like making those ink breaking creases look worse when pressed flat.  That’s always a risk, and it may or may not be the case here.  Just food for thought.  I would leave it be. 🖖

I’m trying to wrap my brain around the last few comments. The spine on this book is comparable to a VG or a Fine book. It’s  in good shape structurally. And I was under the impression that when you press a crease you change it from a valley or a ridge to a flat area and in the process you are drawing the “painted” areas closer together making the White area thinner.