• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men 40
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Rolled the dice and bought a comic off eBay, which is actually a pawn shop in Florida. Bottom corner of the slab was broken, but couldn't slide the book out. The slab was filthy. Pulled the book and it looks great for the grade. Lets see how good...

x40f.JPG

x40b.JPG

1 hour ago, Dr. Dank said:

I guess it's time to give my scanner glass a deep clean lol

Just remember, to make something clean, you have to make something else dirty. But you can make everything dirty, without ever making anything clean! 

And deep cleansed glass or or not, the scan clearly shows a book that will score, at the least, an 8.5 at CGC on the darkest of days, the most foul moods of the graders that day. It's a beauty, and for a #40, that's no common thing. (thumbsu

9 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Just remember, to make something clean, you have to make something else dirty. But you can make everything dirty, without ever making anything clean! 

And deep cleansed glass or or not, the scan clearly shows a book that will score, at the least, an 8.5 at CGC on the darkest of days, the most foul moods of the graders that day. It's a beauty, and for a #40, that's no common thing. (thumbsu

Hate to rain on your parade but CGC didn't grade it a 8.5, try again ;)

14 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

What was the  grade on  the  slab?  I would say a 8.5 to 9

I'll post it soon 

11 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

Hate to rain on your parade but CGC didn't grade it a 8.5, try again ;)

I didn't say they graded it 8.5.   "at the least, an 8.5 at CGC" is what I wrote, which doesn't specifically mean 8.5. Might be easier to understand if I just state that I'm looking at a book that IMO deserves a grade of 8.5 or better. That's the "at least" I was referring to, at least as far as I thought I was referring to. 

Edited by James J Johnson

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

I didn't say they graded it 8.5.   "at the least, an 8.5 at CGC" is what I wrote, which doesn't specifically mean 8.5. Might be easier to understand if I just state that I'm looking at a book that IMO deserves a grade of 8.5 or better. That's the "at least" I was referring to, at least as far as I thought I was referring to. 

So, what's the at most? lol

1 hour ago, Dr. Dank said:

20210506_122257.jpg

Doesn't surprise me. I don't see overtly visible flaws other than a little fraying and softness at the top two corners. Unless there was a stain of low visibility that I wasn't picking up, I couldn't understand what my fellow board members were seeing that led them to opine with estimates south of 8.5. 

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Doesn't surprise me. I don't see overtly visible flaws other than a little fraying and softness at the top two corners. Unless there was a stain of low visibility that I wasn't picking up, I couldn't understand what my fellow board members were seeing that led them to opine with estimates south of 8.5. 

I feel a CP can make this a strong 9.6, depends on the number of CB spine ticks

The reason I said 9.0 is because i count around 7 tics along the spine along with the slightly rounded corners up top to go along with that shadowing on the top back cover. I can see why it got a 9.4 it has great colors😁