• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A24's THE GREEN KNIGHT: AN ARTHURIAN LEGEND (2021)
1 1

66 posts in this topic

New posters for The Green Knight introduce the cast of characters for the anticipated A24 film. Originally scheduled for a release in 2020, A24 had every chance to send the film straight to streaming or video on demand, but the art-house studio held out hope for a theatrical release. The wait looks like it will pay off as The Green Knight will be released in theaters this summer on July 30th.

An epic fantasy adventure with a unique twist, The Green Knight is written and directed by David Lowery, a visionary filmmaker who has showcased his immense range in past efforts like Disney's family-friendly Pete’s Dragon and the eerily existential and atmospheric drama, A Ghost Story, which he also made with A24. Lowery’s next project, The Green Knight, gets its title from the ubiquitous Arthurian legend Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, on which the film is based. Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire) stars as Sir Gawain, King Arthur’s foolhardy nephew, who embarks on a quest to confront the Groot-like Green Knight, contending with various obstacles along the way. The film also stars Oscar-winner, Alicia Vikander, Joel Edgerton, and Erin Kellyman.

Its dark and foreboding tone is reminiscent of the work of Ari Aster, known for Hereditary and Midsommar, or Robert Eggers, known for The Witch and The Lighthouse, all films of which A24 is behind.

Considering The Green Knight is a retelling of such a famous piece of folklore, coupled with the fact it has been kicking around for so long waiting to be released, it is shaping up to be one of A24’s most highly anticipated films yet. Those who cherish the big-screen experience should be thrilled The Green Knight stuck it out for a theatrical release this summer.

Really excited for this. The trailer that ran before the last movie I saw was excellent. There's a certain amount of added production value to this that has it elevated slightly above A24s other films. Not sure if I like Hereditary or The Lighhouse better, but this looks like it could vie for the top spot.

1 hour ago, AJLewandoski said:

Really excited for this. The trailer that ran before the last movie I saw was excellent. There's a certain amount of added production value to this that has it elevated slightly above A24s other films. Not sure if I like Hereditary or The Lighhouse better, but this looks like it could vie for the top spot.

This?

My copy of Valiant's Immortal Brothers: The Green Knight is going to make contribute to my retirement fund.  I had best buy up every copy I can.   Side note, Nick, I know you like Valiant, my true purpose of this post is that if you have not read this tale it was a great story and really reminded me of the older valiant stories with the three brothers like A&A/Eternal Warrior 8.

image.thumb.png.13628cd0368a168d3fc72e4c5e4f4663.png

37 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

My copy of Valiant's Immortal Brothers: The Green Knight is going to make contribute to my retirement fund.  I had best buy up every copy I can.   Side note, Nick, I know you like Valiant, my true purpose of this post is that if you have not read this tale it was a great story and really reminded me of the older valiant stories with the three brothers like A&A/Eternal Warrior 8.

image.thumb.png.13628cd0368a168d3fc72e4c5e4f4663.png

Thanks for sharing this. I've never heard of this before now.

:foryou:

1 minute ago, piper said:

Is it the same story as the Sean Connery film back in the day?

Most probably since everything is tied back to the Arthurian stories. But I had forgotten about that one.

Yeah - the original story is called Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, author unknown, from the 1300s. 

I had to read it in college as practice in Middle English before tackling Chaucer.

The Green Knight Has Screened, Here’s What People Are Saying About A24’s Fantasy Movie

Everyone loves a good medieval fantasy film, right? The upcoming blockbuster The Green Knight from A24 is just that. From director David Lowery comes a bold spin of the Arthurian legend Sir Gawain and the Green Knight that follows the story of Sir Gawain (played by Dev Patel), King Arthur’s nephew, who journeys to confront the Green Knight, a gigantic tree-like creature and tester of men. Along with Patel, the movie features Alicia Vikander, Joel Edgerton, Sarita Choudhury, and Sean Harris.

The social embargo has been lifted and critics are starting to share their thoughts on social media, so let’s check them out.