• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Man assaulted in Target parking lot over sports trading cards
1 1

46 posts in this topic

When people line up outside of stores they are also prime targets for muggings.   Years ago when people were lined up outside of a store for one of the video game console releases someone just held up the line at gunpoint.

I remember waiting in line overnight outside of Tower Records and at Yankee Stadium for concerts and post season baseball tickets. 

Do people line up outside shoe stores for sneakers or is that just here in NYC? 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

When people line up outside of stores they are also prime targets for muggings.   Years ago when people were lined up outside of a store for one of the video game console releases someone just held up the line at gunpoint.

I remember waiting in line overnight outside of Tower Records and at Yankee Stadium for concerts and post season baseball tickets. 

I only remembered the line ups for the early iphones at the Apple Store.

Then they made it earlier with pre-ordering etc.

Maybe it was more popular locally, as they could be flipped to customers in China, as the local iphones had features taken out of the ones purchased in China. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

It definitely is a prime target for mugging, robbery, and pick pockets. ( speaking of which that was another one, Poly Pockets:roflmao: and Pound Puppies) 

Yes it happens in other places that get shipments of the brand new shoes.  (Although with the value of some of these they have started pre order and pick up only to try to limit fights)

Just now, greggy said:

I only remembered the line ups for the early iphones at the Apple Store.

Then they made it earlier with pre-ordering etc.

Maybe it was more popular locally, as they could be flipped to customers in China, as the local iphones had features taken out of the ones purchased in China. 

The Polish girl at work does that.  She sends things back to Poland all the time.  I kind of half pay attention to her when she talks about her personal life (she tried starting a go fund me so she could take a ride into space. :facepalm: ). Anyway, I believe she has sent things ranging from iPhones to Cars back to relatives in Poland at one point in her life. 

4 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Jesus - that packaging is terrifying!

It looks like Elmo is assaulting a child.

Only fair when the parents had to fight it out for the toy. 

Like playing some Rap Cassette Tapes in the ol' Teddy Ruxpin just to get him to cuss.. 

Hey, I remember in the 80s when people for fighting for toilet paper that were on sale.

It was horrifying to watch people get into confrontations over crappy (pun intended) toilet paper from the 80s.

2 minutes ago, greggy said:

Hey, I remember in the 80s when people for fighting for toilet paper that were on sale.

It was horrifying to watch people get into confrontations over crappy (pun intended) toilet paper from the 80s.

And to think we got to relive this last year. 

Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Only fair when the parents had to fight it out for the toy. 

Like playing some Rap Cassette Tapes in the ol' Teddy Ruxpin just to get him to cuss.. 

I will always be grateful to parents that needed to do anything it took to satiate their children.  My parents were VERY strict when it came to driving.  Part of this might have had to do with a cousin by marriage driving drunk into a wall here on Long Island and killing one of the passengers.  If you wanted to drive while living under their roof you had to do the following: 

• Pay for your own insurance 
  • Pay for part of the increase in their insurance as their premium went up with an additional driver living there. 
  • Be over the age of 18.
  • You had to have graduated high school.
  • You could use the third family car by their permission only that they original bought (I think they put it under my name)
  • You had to pay for gas, maintenance, and upkeep of that car. 

So, as you can see this got really expensive.   How does someone at that age pay for it? 

Scalping toys.   Christmastime was a great way to buy up all the green rangers and mark them up x5 or x6. 

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

And to think we got to relive this last year. 

At least the current stuff is generally of good quality.

I remember when they used to dye them pink and orange colours and they were rough.  :p

2 minutes ago, greggy said:

I remember when they used to dye them pink and orange colours and they were rough.  :p

I definitely agree with all of that. Much better than the sand paper rolls.

Although there were good cloth diapers and cleaning services for the cloth back in the 80's that sprang up even in small towns.

7 minutes ago, greggy said:

You could always be like some of those people on the Discovery Channel who use scarps of old fabric that they use around the house then throw them in the wash to reuse again later. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I will always be grateful to parents that needed to do anything it took to satiate their children.  My parents were VERY strict when it came to driving.  Part of this might have had to do with a cousin by marriage driving drunk into a wall here on Long Island and killing one of the passengers.  If you wanted to drive while living under their roof you had to do the following: 

• Pay for your own insurance 
  • Pay for part of the increase in their insurance as their premium went up with an additional driver living there. 
  • Be over the age of 18.
  • You had to have graduated high school.
  • You could use the third family car by their permission only that they original bought (I think they put it under my name)
  • You had to pay for gas, maintenance, and upkeep of that car. 

So, as you can see this got really expensive.   How does someone at that age pay for it? 

Scalping toys.   Christmastime was a great way to buy up all the green rangers and mark them up x5 or x6. 

I too remember not having much and doing whatever I could to fend for myself.  Since I have had my daughter ( who is now in college and 20) I tried to provide her with a lot of the things she wanted over the years (also why I remember a lot of those crazes..) but I also had to balance it with time spent and also instill working hard to earn and enjoy what you do have. (Really didn't want to spoil her or her to think everything would just be given to her)

I started early with diaper training.  When I wanted to help her stop using diapers I bought a gumball machine.  Every time she would use the Big Girl Potty she got a quarter to put into the machine.  Not only did she learn to break from diapers fast, but she also learned manipulation.  She would go in to use the potty and pee. Come out collect her quarter, but then rush back in to poop. Then she would just try to pee a little come and collect, then back in to pee the rest. :roflmao: I allowed this a couple of times, but then showed her manipulation was not ok. The look on her face when she held out her hand( already containing one quarter to get the second and I took the first back) I will never forget it.

She also learned to save from that. After a few times of getting her quarter and immediately using it to get gum, she started keeping the quarters and would either use them later for the gum or wait for a trip to the store and get something from one of the other machines.  

One of my proudest moments was her 10th Birthday.  She wanted a bike so bad that year. She decided in her mind that it was going to cost more than I would spend on her and she started about 3 months prior to her Birthday to do chores around the house and asked neighbors to try to let her do small jobs so she could earn money to help get the bike. The day before her Birthday she gave me the savings she had put together ( about $38) and asked if I could please make sure she had that bike. Her birthday we had a lot of family and a bunch of her friends she invited from school all show up. Of course I had the bike for her.

She was so happy. Her friends all ran up and they were all talking for a bit and she started to look a little sad and she comes over to me and says. Dad.. I am giving the bike to my Kelly. (One of her friends) you can imagine the look on my face, but before I could say a word. My daughter leans in and says dad I know she doesn't have much and it seems as though she loves this just as much as I do. I want her to have it. I was floored.  It was a hard sell to get Kelly's parents to take it, but after talking with them( definitely not about my daughter saying they didn't have much, but more that my daughter just really wanted her to have the bike) They agreed. 

The next day I took my daughter back to the store and bought her bike. (She also got her savings back) 

Sorry to hear about the cousin and the resulting fear/rules. I know looking back you realize this was out of fear/love. Although yes it was strict.  

It did teach you creative ways to work around the issues. 

3 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I too remember not having much and doing whatever I could to fend for myself.  Since I have had my daughter ( who is now in college and 20) I tried to provide her with a lot of the things she wanted over the years (also why I remember a lot of those crazes..) but I also had to balance it with time spent and also instill working hard to earn and enjoy what you do have. (Really didn't want to spoil her or her to think everything would just be given to her)

I started early with diaper training.  When I wanted to help her stop using diapers I bought a gumball machine.  Every time she would use the Big Girl Potty she got a quarter to put into the machine.  Not only did she learn to break from diapers fast, but she also learned manipulation.  She would go in to use the potty and pee. Come out collect her quarter, but then rush back in to poop. Then she would just try to pee a little come and collect, then back in to pee the rest. :roflmao: I allowed this a couple of times, but then showed her manipulation was not ok. The look on her face when she held out her hand( already containing one quarter to get the second and I took the first back) I will never forget it.

She also learned to save from that. After a few times of getting her quarter and immediately using it to get gum, she started keeping the quarters and would either use them later for the gum or wait for a trip to the store and get something from one of the other machines.  

One of my proudest moments was her 10th Birthday.  She wanted a bike so bad that year. She decided in her mind that it was going to cost more than I would spend on her and she started about 3 months prior to her Birthday to do chores around the house and asked neighbors to try to let her do small jobs so she could earn money to help get the bike. The day before her Birthday she gave me the savings she had put together ( about $38) and asked if I could please make sure she had that bike. Her birthday we had a lot of family and a bunch of her friends she invited from school all show up. Of course I had the bike for her.

She was so happy. Her friends all ran up and they were all talking for a bit and she started to look a little sad and she comes over to me and says. Dad.. I am giving the bike to my Kelly. (One of her friends) you can imagine the look on my face, but before I could say a word. My daughter leans in and says dad I know she doesn't have much and it seems as though she loves this just as much as I do. I want her to have it. I was floored.  It was a hard sell to get Kelly's parents to take it, but after talking with them( definitely not about my daughter saying they didn't have much, but more that my daughter just really wanted her to have the bike) They agreed. 

The next day I took my daughter back to the store and bought her bike. (She also got her savings back) 

Sorry to hear about the cousin and the resulting fear/rules. I know looking back you realize this was out of fear/love. Although yes it was strict.  

It did teach you creative ways to work around the issues. 

Eh things happen.  Side note.  My brother is 43 and has never legally driven a car as he has never held a driver's license.  He could not be bothered with the expense lol 

That's an awesome story about your daughter though.   Truly is. 

40 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You could always be like some of those people on the Discovery Channel who use scarps of old fabric that they use around the house then throw them in the wash to reuse again later. 

First off..

20210520_022805.jpg.23e6124c481d51e89a03c4eae4d16cf0.jpg

But then...20201201_114356.jpg.1d4aa882f9d0a4b8495cdaa0905033a1.jpg20210520_023050.jpg.5ec3fb07107ee4a2423eb9df23f14d88.jpg

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Eh things happen.  Side note.  My brother is 43 and has never legally driven a car as he has never held a driver's license.  He could not be bothered with the expense lol 

That's an awesome story about your daughter though.   Truly is. 

I know a few people who have never had a DL. A couple who like you said it is the expense.

Another who was in an accident when they were young and lost a parent and sibling. They still get frightened just at the thought of travel. 

Thank you. I am proud of the person she is becoming.  

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I know a few people who have never had a DL. A couple who like you said it is the expense.

Another who was in an accident when they were young and lost a parent and sibling. They still get frightened just at the thought of travel. 

Thank you. I am proud of the person she is becoming.  

My brother can afford it. He makes way more than I do. lol 

At this point he prefers to have people or uber or lyft or whatever drive him.