• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN --- PGM X-Men 129
4 4

19 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2021 at 10:09 PM, Slyde said:

This was the gut punch of the batch I submitted. I thought I was looking at a 9.0 floor.

20210721_203745.jpg

I thought my copy was 8.5/9.0 until I posted it here. 😟

1428507757-jcvd-13.gif.92564b16c84a81c03c3ccab482865490.gif

On 7/21/2021 at 10:09 PM, Slyde said:

This was the gut punch of the batch I submitted. I thought I was looking at a 9.0 floor.

20210721_203745.jpg

Seriously. Looking at it post-grading and seeing the opinions of others, I'm confounded. What do the Graders Notes reveal?

On 7/21/2021 at 9:13 PM, grendelbo said:

Seriously. Looking at it post-grading and seeing the opinions of others, I'm confounded. What do the Graders Notes reveal?

light creasing to cover
light fingerprints on cover
light spine stress lines to cover
light staining to cover

I have to assume it was the staining on the back cover...I guess I didn't detract enough for it.

CGC hits staining really, really hard. Also, they penalize staining in terms of area, sometimes more heavily than they do in terms of intensity. That's a pretty large stain, although not a very dark one, but the size of the defect is really what killed you here, I think.

Doesn't make the number feel any better, though.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:25 AM, Galen130 said:

Was it cleaned and pressed??

Yes, I cleaned and pressed each of these. I went to work on the stain with the eraser and Absorene but didn't have much luck. I might crack this one at some point and have someone else give it a try.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:00 AM, Slyde said:

Yes, I cleaned and pressed each of these. I went to work on the stain with the eraser and Absorene but didn't have much luck. I might crack this one at some point and have someone else give it a try.

Yeah, I would.  I use a guy for my cleaning/pressing needs...he's been doing it for decades.  I don't trust myself to try it. 
At least you were brave enough to try. lol

The fingerprint will be the most difficult, of course.  There will probably still be residual, even after a professional gives it a go.