• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Micro-trimming question on an ASM 9

53 posts in this topic

I am a little concerned about the lack of overlap on the upper edge and fear the possibility of micro-trimming; however there is overlap at the bottom edge which is usually not the case on a SA book so maybe that explains.

What do you guys think?

Also, anyone knows how to accurately detect micro-trimming? That is so much harder than to detect pressing, not sure how CGC can do it with certainty

336450754_asm9.thumb.jpg.f77158bca60b07b6e8b274ee524426b5.jpg

1535255563_asm9bc.thumb.jpg.2b5c7bdd0e54d8c1a3f7bdc4ace6eac3.jpg

It does have miss wrap, culprit?. Maybe with a magnifying glass you can see if the edge color changes between the wrap side edges?(shrug)

The lower right front cover doesn't appear to have trimming. hm

This wasn't bought from ole BettleBlue on eBay right?

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

13 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

Not an eBay purchase. I bought this book 25 years ago.

I am not concerned about the right edge, just about the top edge.

When comparing for example with this CGC 9.0 copy below, it has overlap on top edge but not on bottom edge, the opposite with mine.

asm 9 cgc 9.0.jpg

It's a tough call 

13 minutes ago, zzutak said:

Married cover specimens often have this same appearance.  Many, many, many moons ago, a rather large hoard of printed-but-unused covers (from the late-Atlas/early-Marvel era) came to market.  Many of these covers were used to create high-grade "married" books.  Here are just a few examples.

Not sure how a married book looks like from the inside, but the staples on the ASM #9 back cover match the holes in the inside centerfold and no other holes are present so I don't think it was married

3 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

Also, CGC did not even exist when I bought that book so the advantages of micro-trimming and pressing were not as obvious as they were after their creation.

I understand what you're trying to say.  Just remember that Daniel Dupcak -- who is often cited as the hobby's greatest scoundrel -- was tinkering with books a dozen years before CGC was founded.

11 minutes ago, zzutak said:

I understand what you're trying to say.  Just remember that Daniel Dupcak -- who is often cited as the hobby's greatest scoundrel -- was tinkering with books a dozen years before CGC was founded.

Could you please elaborate on this? I have never heard of Daniel Dupcak, and I'm sure it would be an interesting story.

29 minutes ago, zzutak said:

Fortunately I never bought directly from him but who knows the past history of the books you purchase

2 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Also, CGC did not even exist when I bought that book so the advantages of micro-trimming and pressing were not as obvious as they were after their creation.

The first copy of #9 that I bought always struck me as looking odd in that same way.

That was 40+ years ago.

5 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Also, anyone knows how to accurately detect micro-trimming? That is so much harder than to detect pressing, not sure how CGC can do it with certainty

Certain folks are better at it than others...  

Of course I am concerned as it's my personal copy. Trimming or even micro-trimming can be greatly suspected when the edge is razor sharp and I am pretty good in general in detecting it but this upper edge is not razor sharp, there is just a tiny bit of overlap but not enough to feel safe which is why this book is puzzling me.

Also, if you are looking at the CGC 9.0 copy above, the bottom edge does not have overlap while my raw copy does.

I am just wondering if the overlap could have be inverted in the printing process sometimes although most of the time the overlap is at the top edge.

If there was no overlap at all, I would be sure it was micro-trimmed but it's the presence of the overlap at the bottom edge that puzzles me.

11 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

Also, if you are looking at the CGC 9.0 copy above, the bottom edge does not have overlap while my raw copy does.

I am just wondering if the overlap could have be inverted in the printing process sometimes although most of the time the overlap is at the top edge.

If there was no overlap at all, I would be sure it was micro-trimmed but it's the presence of the overlap at the bottom edge that puzzles me.

If you want to explore it further, closely examine the edges of the cover and the pages. Keep in mind that sometimes it's what's not there (but should be) that confirms the trimming...