• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pedigree to Auction Near Complete CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man Run
1 1

17 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, justafan said:

Scoop got scooped.  Dang for a second I thought I was stuck in a Groundhog Day and had to repeat bidding in that auction all over again. 

Would you happen to remember what the 9.8 #89 hammered at??? I can't retrieve the page anywhere even checking Google. It be nice if Pedigree had a searchable past sale archive. 

6 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Thank you sir! 

I think that census for 41 is going to get tested after that 20k 9.8 :whatthe:

Yeah, pedigree started removing pages a couple of days after the auction and removed everything after a week.  I got blown out of the water on a lot of stuff.  Especially the early part of that run.  Only a handful of real deals to be had but most everything early on went for $300-1000s or more over 12mo/90 day GPA.  I do remember the #89.  Only 8 in 9.8 and that one was an exceptionally nice copy with great wrap and centering. And the 41 was also a beautiful 9.6 copy.  The census on those should already have been tested during the previous Garfield reboot of Amazing Spider Man part 2 where Paul Giamati was cast as the Rhino in a mech-Rhino suit.  Copies of 41 were blowing up since the mid 2010's with a bunch of subs and yet still so few 9.8s and 9.6s.  But that cover is tough with a bunch of black inks around the spine and bottom cover where a bunch of wear tends to occur on comics.  Lots of raw copies look great but many have underlying issues like color touch restoration or trimming.  I am surprised at that price though as it looked like they were bidding on a 9.8 copy but my notes say it was a 9.6 with 1 CB spine tick near the top of the front cover spine in the green area and in a new label so I don't think there was any room for an upgrade unless those bidders knew something I didn't.  But if a 41 9.8 ever comes to market, that's really going to command a HUGE price and bidding war.

On 5/28/2021 at 1:22 AM, Buzzetta said:

Who did he steal / swindle them from if he did such a thing? 

The article says the books were from some collector in Massachusetts and bought it for $425k.  Not sure what the total books went for but the one's I was able to track which was probably about 35% of them has the total coming to 597k but that is absent a lot of the smaller value books and a few of the larger value books.  The article says the southern Mass collector initiated the call to Pedigree and settled on that price after negotiations.  The buyer could have gone to any of the other venues that exist so I'm not sure this would classify as a steal or swindle but I'm curious if he considered consigning or taking the auction percentage instead.  Just looking at my figures, he left over 100k on the table by not having pedigree just auction them off and paying the 10% commission.

1 minute ago, justafan said:

The article says the books were from some collector in Massachusetts and bought it for $425k.  Not sure what the total books went for but the one's I was able to track which was probably about 35% of them has the total coming to 597k but that is absent a lot of the smaller value books and a few of the larger value books.  The article says the southern Mass collector initiated the call to Pedigree and settled on that price after negotiations.  The buyer could have gone to any of the other venues that exist so I'm not sure this would classify as a steal or swindle but I'm curious if he considered consigning or taking the auction percentage instead.  Just looking at my figures, he left over 100k on the table by not having pedigree just auction them off and paying the 10% commission.

Even though it looks like I am talking about the Spider-man collection, I was not talking about the Spider-man collection. 

On 5/26/2021 at 10:36 AM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

This article doesn't make sense, posted with old info :facepalm: dated - Wednesday, May 26, 2021 

I think the date on the masthead is just the current date.  The story clearly was written pre auction as it reports the auction date of May 3 - May 10

14 hours ago, justafan said:

The article says the books were from some collector in Massachusetts and bought it for $425k.  Not sure what the total books went for

That Scoop article/link I had posted earlier in the thread indicated:

"Dubbed the “Southern Mass. Collection,” it was the best and deepest Amazing Spider-Man run that Pedigree has offered with an ending total of $840,466."

On 5/29/2021 at 11:14 PM, justafan said:

Just looking at my figures, he left over 100k on the table by not having pedigree just auction them off and paying the 10% commission.

Except when you auction them off and they disappoint with low results.

There are so many factors - how much commission, is the market hot or not, will 2nd and 3rd bidders show up or will they be putting their kids in bed while the books are ending, etc etc.

They may have sold the collection before the market popped these last few months and Pedigree just happened to windfall and get lucky with a rising market.

One thing I've done for some time now is I stopped looking back and see how much money I 'could have made' if I'd done something differently. If I made money, I move on. Looking back does no good. I could have lost money just as easily as made it and there are no guarantees in anything.

If it was so easy to make more money everyone would be doing it...but when it comes down to making a decision each person makes the decision that works best for them at that time.

Edited by VintageComics

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Except when you auction them off and they disappoint with low results.

There are so many factors - how much commission, is the market hot or not, will 2nd and 3rd bidders show up or will they be putting their kids in bed while the books are ending, etc etc.

They may have sold the collection before the market popped these last few months and Pedigree just happened to windfall and get lucky with a rising market.

One thing I've done for some time now is I stopped looking back and see how much money I 'could have made' if I'd done something differently. If I made money, I move on. Looking back does no good. I could have lost money just as easily as made it and there are no guarantees in anything.

If it was so easy to make more money everyone would be doing it...but when it comes down to making a decision each person makes the decision that works best for them at that time.

Yeah, if that deal was negotiated in mid 2020 that definitely would explain it. Some prices were definitely soft and in a panic might have made that sale seem like a better sure thing. Or maybe they just really needed the money then and couldnt wait until the market improved.  You also have to look on the flipside and see that the risk Doug took in buying the books outright during such uncertain times was bold and could easily have been a bust especially if he had to sit on that purchase until the market showed signs of improving and ripe for auction. Maybe he did shop it around and Dougs was the highest offer at the time. It is definitely something to ponder for when it comes time for us to sell our collections for those not being burried with it.