• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading a comic issued with a staple missing

2 posts in this topic

Can you please advise me if a missing staple is a manufacturer's error - and if so, how does this error affect grade? 

I have a copy of Amazing Spiderman #361, that has never been opened. It was bagged/boarded the day it was bought. I didn't even know about the missing staple until I took it for pressing to get graded. It's a 9.8 all day long - but missing the staple. 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

• Administrator

Good morning,

A missing staple can affect the grade but by how much will depend on the condition of the rest of the book.  If the book would be a very high grade otherwise, then the graders can decide to give it a qualified label.  It won't affect the grade but will be notated on the label in that case. If the overall condition of the book would result in a lower grade then it would get a universal label but the missing staple would be factored into the grade. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!