• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Postal ink stamped in cover?

28 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, optimal_max said:

Nah, it's a pretty flawless book other than the stamp.  I wouldn't waste people's time with a question on a book with obvious flaws.  Why would you assume there were other flaws?  I used to run a comic shop on ebay, and It isn't my first time submitting to CGC, but it's been a while.     I wasn't even asking anyone to grade my book. That's easy.  I do know that date stamps won't always detract from grades, but couldn't find any info on the affect of other USPS stamp markings on grading, since it isn't a production flaw, but it was a marking applied through the distribution process.

I'm happy to help if I can. If you could show the whole book, it would be very helpful. But in general, date stamps aren't usually a huge problem. There are a number of factors to consider, though: size, location, and neatness are all things I would evaluate before arriving at a grade.

Some folks can't stand them, but other people can appreciate them for what they are---part of the history of the book. I hope this helps and good luck...

15 hours ago, Ryan. said:

And I bet that's not what he meant. 

It is, actually. I chose a teaching job at a small private school instead of a public school where they are paid 3-4x more, since we are getting all personal up in here 

15 hours ago, namisgr said:

Just those trying to determine if they should encapsulate a comic to wring a couple of extra dollars out of selling it.

Why does it bother you so much what I do with  my belongings?

Project much?  Your thread, your post asking what you should do with one of your comic book belongings.  But the answer to your original question depends on the condition of the book, which others can only help assess with full front and back cover scans or photos.

Edited by namisgr

6 hours ago, namisgr said:

Project much?  Your thread, your post asking what you should do with one of your comic book belongings.  But the answer to your original question depends on the condition of the book, which others can only help assess with full front and back cover scans or photos.

Projecting? From the guy whose panties are in a bunch that someone might sell a comic he doesn't want to buy another comic that I'd prefer to own.  And that's not what I asked.  I asked if it was WORTH grading when there is a condition involved that I was not overly familiar with. Worth implies value, not intention. I wished to know, that IF the book was otherwise immaculate, apart from the condition described and pictured, would it be worth grading?  If the value gained was minimal, then no, it would not be worth grading.

46 minutes ago, optimal_max said:

If the value gained was minimal, then no, it would not be worth grading.

Exactly why the absence of full front and back scans or photos makes this an exercise in futility.