• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barcode Scanning

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

Is there a way scan the barcode at the top of a CGC book? Is there a way to utilize a smart phone camera? I am aware of entering the CGC # via the CGC website, but am interested in improving my efficiency. Thank you for being available for questions.

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  Yes, you can scan the barcode with your phone to bring up the certification information in the lookup screen. It would serve the same purpose as entering the certification number. 

Thank you!

What are the steps for scanning the barcode with a phone? Is there a CGC app that reads the barcode? How would I go about using a phone to bring up the certification information in the lookup screen? How does a phone see the certification numbers?

What are the steps for scanning the barcode with an android smartphone phone? Is there a CGC app that reads the barcode? How would I go about using a phone to bring up the certification information in the lookup screen? How does a phone see the certification numbers?

17 hours ago, Papercut Comics said:

What are the steps for scanning the barcode with an android smartphone phone? Is there a CGC app that reads the barcode? How would I go about using a phone to bring up the certification information in the lookup screen? How does a phone see the certification numbers?

Don't think CGC has an app for this. Years ago I bought a cheap handheld barcode scanner off Amazon for $29 to do inventory of my slabs - still works great. Probably plenty of generic barcode scanning apps for an Android since CGC uses a very common format.

The barcode on a CGC slab contains a 26 character string (except for the early first generation slabs). Some of those fields contain info about the grade, page quality, label type (Universal, Restored, Conserved) as well as the Issue ID# and pedigree info.

Characters 17-26 contains the info needed to do a Certification Lookup on the CGC website.

I have not seen a third party app that allows you to scan the barcode and pull up the Cert Info. I scan the barcode into an Excel spreadsheet that strips off the last 10 characters and then I can easily copy/paste that into the CGC Cert Info box.

Good Luck!

-bc