• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Lynda Barry fans here?

13 posts in this topic

Lynda Barry's books are so incredible.  She writes about childhood things in an incredibly perceptive and humorous nostalgic fashion.  Highly recommend.  I got a card from her with a drawing of Marlys.

1 - 2021-06-04T170431.665.jpg

It makes me happy that she is a millionaire from her work.  A movie based on her stories would be similar to A Christmas Story which was put together from several short stories of Jean Sheperd's.  Lot of potential here for a really popular movie.

4 hours ago, Point Five said:

I have One Hundred Demons as well. I'm not a superfan but she's cool for sure. (thumbsu

try the others-way better than hundred demons.  More material too.  You just have to read abt Marlys and the spelling bee.

12 hours ago, kav said:

It makes me happy that she is a millionaire from her work.  A movie based on her stories would be similar to A Christmas Story which was put together from several short stories of Jean Sheperd's.  Lot of potential here for a really popular movie.

That's what she said. 

I bought all her books back in the 80s and early 90s including the first edition of Girls And Boys when I was living in Seattle in 1981. I enjoyed them all, but I guess lost interest in newer material at some point. I did sell them all in the last couple of years (to one buyer on ebay). Maybe I should have re-read them first, but I was in downsizing mood. 

Just now, rjpb said:

I bought all her books back in the 80s and early 90s including the first edition of Girls And Boys when I was living in Seattle in 1981. I enjoyed them all, but I guess lost interest in newer material at some point. I did sell them all in the last couple of years (to one buyer on ebay). Maybe I should have re-read them first, but I was in downsizing mood. 

yep girls and boys was my first one too.  I reread em periodically.  I love stories about childhood.  Like, slightly twisted stories.

Did anyone read the one where they went to the drive in and the kid was crying because he missed medusa's head getting cut off when he went to the rest room and his mom was saying crying aint gonna put that lady's head back on!

Edited by kav

On 7/21/2021 at 10:57 PM, kav said:

Did anyone read the one where they went to the drive in and the kid was crying because he missed medusa's head getting cut off when he went to the rest room and his mom was saying crying aint gonna put that lady's head back on!

That’s what she said