• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hotshotcomics SCAMMER ALERT North Carolina USA
4 4

24 posts in this topic

This comic shop deals on eBay as well as Facebook , Instagram all the normal channels for comic buying . On Nov 10/2020 I purchased a preorder Amazing Spiderman 55 LR guaranteed presale cgc 9.8 comic. Obviously it takes time to get the comic graded etc but I can safely say after many attempts via email to Doug Cegelis the shop manager I have zero doubt I’ve been defrauded out of my money . 

It’s June 8/2021 and I still don’t have tracking information or a refund or a comic. The email responses have been nothing short of rude . Somehow he’s shifting blame to me for buying and paying for a comic he solicited but has never shipped . I’m familiar with CGC and wait times this is utter absurd ness . 

A warning not to buy from them on eBay ever but def don’t support these crooks . I’m an honest collector and I’m very lucky it was not a lot of money but it’s the point that this is a predator of our beloved hobby. I have all of our emails if anyone is interested 

If this is not enough warning for you read his eBay feedback and the pattern of people’s reply’s will back up my claims . He’s doing this to many other good collectors out there . His store google reviews also show he’s a repeat ripoff fraud artist. 

FF974921-D04B-4546-8020-66A3321A4E56.jpeg

342B2E26-8836-4D3C-80B2-4DB80974EE0C.jpeg

5BFEE73C-EB43-4766-B0AB-FB1035E6761B.jpeg

18E3E957-978A-4EF7-AB2A-6FB932CB3860.jpeg

Edited by Subby1938

Want to get this guy's attention?  I'd encourage you to contact the North Carolina Consumer Protection Division and complain/open a case.  Then email him you've done so, hopefully with a case number, and tell him to expect a call from an investigator.  NC.gov: Consumer Protection Division

Similar issue here too. I had purchased Batman 102, Batman 102 variants, both in CGC 9.8 ( pre-purchased) and had a similar issue. I waited several weeks after the quoted time I paid for in order to get them back and I sent email after email with zero responses. I called and a woman had answered the phone telling me to reach out to him directly and he didn't answer those emails either. I called back and some guy answers "umm hello?" Yes, I ordered a few books and they are overdue. I haven't received any info on them after several emails and calls. " well, I don't know what to tell ya. I'm at a comic shop right now so I have no idea because that's one of the other sides of our business." 

I contacted Paypal and after Paypal had emailed them, Hotshotcomics didn't respond to Paypal either so they refunded the money to my account. Waste of time. I'll NEVER preorder a book again. I'll definitely look up the user account on Ebay if I can and block it. 

Edited by Timeless icons

Good to know I’m not alone . This store and owner have been defrauding people for way too long and I gave up on trying to get my 60.00 dollars back but it defies logic a store and responsible shop owner would allow themselves this reputation for something so trivial . 

Just a degenerate shop owner preying on people . 

On 6/19/2021 at 5:25 PM, Subby1938 said:

Let’s keep the attention on this thief 

I guess it's too late for PayPal to do anything, but you may want to call them and try anyway?  And you can also try with your credit card, if you used one through PayPal.

I'm sorry this happened to you.  It really sucks when people don't follow through or honor their end of a deal.

Thanks and I did reach out but they told me they couldn’t help . I trusted the seller and my gut instinct when time was getting close to lose protection I should have filed . I gave the seller benefit of the doubt stupidly ( although not a large sum of money ) nobody should ever hesitate to start a claim to protect oneself from a seller not providing the service they claim to charge for . 

Build not a monument to his ignorance, stealing and further wasting your most valued asset, time. 

Maybe try sending him this evidence presented here, along with a promise to let a local TV station know that a kids, collectibles

store is stealing in their community? Sorry this happened to you, sucks. : - /      * most stations have an advocacy segment  

I’m in another country ( Canada ) believe me he’s received emails and proof and zero response ever since my protection was lost . He knew exactly what he was doing . In Canada or USA it’s called 

FRAUD

I had no clue to be honest until way after the fact . It’s my fault I should have gone through all avenues earlier with PayPal I know better when a seller is giving me run round .

Hes taken his listings off eBay now as I’m sure he’s aware of negative publicity . He’s still using same seller name just no items being sold at this time 

4 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

I had no clue to be honest until way after the fact . It’s my fault I should have gone through all avenues earlier with PayPal I know better when a seller is giving me run round .

Hes taken his listings off eBay now as I’m sure he’s aware of negative publicity . He’s still using same seller name just no items being sold at this time 

People like that eventually get their comeuppance.  Too bad we can’t be a fly on the wall when it happens. lol

Ugh!!! I purchased four CGC 9.8 pre-sale books (5-5 and 6-2 release dates) on April 25, 2021. Had I not seen this thread, I would have thought nothing of a prolonged delayed shipping due to CGC long lead times. Now I am nervous. Am I able to ask PayPal for a refund even though it is not realistic that my books would ship by the estimated date of June 8th? 

As you near the end of your PayPal protection if the books have not shipped open a case get your money back . Many sellers are burning people with these preorder guaranteed 9.8 BS. In my case I paid in November , comic released in December and I still don’t have a comic . There is no way with all the private signing events in between these sellers can guarantee the arrival on time . Not saying they can’t get 9.8 but you’re not covered . 

Pay with Visa you get way more time to file your claim rather than paying from your branch 

Edited by Subby1938

So folks you think threads like this don’t work to get the attention of scumbag shop owners …..

Today I received a parcel and on box it shows it’s from “ Hotshotcomics” and inside is a comic cgc 9.6 Amazing Spiderman 55 

So obviously my thread worked to get a response unfortunately this piece of garbage sent a book that was supposed to be a guaranteed cgc 9.8. 

You try and save face maybe send the comic people paid for . Seven months of lies and stalling techniques to be caught in a scam and you try and save your image by sending me lower grade . 

I stopped caring about the comic I paid for months ago because if you’re willing to throw your reputation away for 60 US you’re a loser anyways . 

I believe I’ve made my point crystal clear and this thread will remain active with google search engine I hope other good people don’t get ripped off like I did .

As for the comic I received today I’m giving it a kid who can’t afford buying stuff like this . 

40FF1C16-B826-456B-831A-9FBAA9AD7CD9.jpeg

03B6BEF6-F620-4337-ACBC-61C8BE58B9A7.jpeg

For the record this parcel was mailed on same day I made this post and notified Hotshotcomics that I was doing this . Only because of this thread did this insufficiently_thoughtful_person even make an attempt to try and do the right thing . 

It showed he had the book and never once intended on shipping , the intent was clear and when the thread started and others replied to it he sent a lower grade copy I did not order . 

fraud 

Edited by Subby1938

Sorry this happened. 

I'm sure the TATs at CGC are impacting his ability to turn orders like this around quickly.

But that doesn't excuse no communication, bad customer service and then sending you a 9.6 after months of waiting for your guaranteed 9.8. 

I'm glad it wasn't a big ticket item.

Ok, there are hundreds of customers that have been more than patient, waiting 6 months, 9 months, maybe a year or more but getting nothing ordered. Also many cases of getting a lower graded/lesser valued slab than originally ordered. If you’ve been ignored, refused refund or ripped off by Hotshot Comics (Asheville Comics) there is hope and recourse to get your money back. Strength in numbers folks, don’t hesitate to put the pressure on them. WIRE FRAUD IS SERIOUS. File with your bank, cc company and/or PayPal.

Also very important to file complaints against hotshotcomics.com with all of these entities: IC3 (FBI) for internet crimes, NC state Attorney General and BBB Better Business Bureau: 

https://complaint.ic3.gov/default.aspx

https://ncdoj.gov/file-a-complaint/consumer-complaint/

https://www.bbb.org/file-a-complaint/0473-879696/form