• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying an in stock item from an auction house, Headache central..

7 posts in this topic

Ok since this is still up in the air I will not say which auction house it is at this time. BUT

Wednesday morning I was cruising the exchange and found a newly listed book that I had bid on at a recent auction and lost out on it. The person who did win it was selling it for the same amount the auction ended for being it was a book I wanted I clicked the buy it at the asking price and even got the buyers confirmation letter from the auction house. Now last night when I got home from work I hadn't heard anything new so I checked on the site to see what was up and the book was still up for sale and the price was increased over 500.00 so you can imagine how I felt but the auction house was closed by the time I got home so as soon as it opened this morning I gave them a call and was assured that the buyer cannot raise the price after someone has bought it and that my sale should go through. 

so tonight I get an email from the AH and it says my "bid" was declined and I could bid again if I wanted to book. Needless to say I was a bit miffed. I replied to the email and then checked the site and the book that I had "bought" was gone and there was the same book still there for the original price, now it was double listed at the point that I bought the book and the auction house was aware of it but had not taken the double down. 

So now the double listing is still up and the one I bought has been taken down. Not sure at this point where I stand on the sale and feel like buying the 2nd listing too just to cover myself.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Edited by ickwinzs

Maybe 3 times in the past month I've sent strong (90-95% of ask) offers only to check back the next day to see the price raised - different situation to yours I understand. 

In the most recent case, it was doubled from $400 to $800.

Edited by Heronext

2 hours ago, ickwinzs said:

Ok since this is still up in the air I will not say which auction house it is at this time. BUT

Wednesday morning I was cruising the exchange and found a newly listed book that I had bid on at a recent auction and lost out on it. The person who did win it was selling it for the same amount the auction ended for being it was a book I wanted I clicked the buy it at the asking price and even got the buyers confirmation letter from the auction house. Now last night when I got home from work I hadn't heard anything new so I checked on the site to see what was up and the book was still up for sale and the price was increased over 500.00 so you can imagine how I felt but the auction house was closed by the time I got home so as soon as it opened this morning I gave them a call and was assured that the buyer cannot raise the price after someone has bought it and that my sale should go through. 

so tonight I get an email from the AH and it says my "bid" was declined and I could bid again if I wanted to book. Needless to say I was a bit miffed. I replied to the email and then checked the site and the book that I had "bought" was gone and there was the same book still there for the original price, now it was double listed at the point that I bought the book and the auction house was aware of it but had not taken the double down. 

So now the double listing is still up and the one I bought has been taken down. Not sure at this point where I stand on the sale and feel like buying the 2nd listing too just to cover myself.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I was going to guess Pedigree, or Shortboxed app hm

11 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

So you bought it at full asking price and then they said your offer at full ask was declined and then listed it at a higher price?? :whatthe:

yes I bought it at full ask price, then later that evening the price went up. I had not heard anything from the seller or the AH. Then last night I got an email saying that the seller declined my bid. It was not a bid but a buy. Then last night (almost 2 days from getting my buyers confirmation) the comic disapeared from the site. 

I figure the owner of the book wanted more for the book and since he couldn't he pulled the book and will sell it elsewhere or list it again with a higher price from the start. Still shadier than hell. Another odd thing was that the book was double listed and one listing was still up last night so I bought it too! LOL!!

Its really sad to see the whole hobby go to doodee over the past years. If you enter an agreement to buy or sell something you need to stick to that EVEN if it means you lise a few bucks. With no honor amongst many of the sellers of today its a total circus. This wouldn't happen if the sites that facilitate these sales made strict rules and stuck to them. Its beyond me how ebay can allow so many people to cancel bids on a regular basis and then let them place more bids like nothing ever happened. All these venue's want is money. Don't care how they get it. Till someone steps to the plate and enforces some necessary rules, the hobby will go down hill and the games will never end.