• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fear of Sellers Remorse?

25 posts in this topic

I was a little surprised that the book didn't go for 20% more but it does have cream to offwhite pages which closes the deal for some folks who only buy Off white or better. The Spidey 13 with White pages sold for more than I expected as an example.

BTW as I mentioned to Nerf in an email I did pay very low for it back in the 80's. I am now only collecting VF Spidey's raw and specifically w slight color touch or replaced staple type books for the high dollar books - if anyone has any let me know. Spidey's, to me, have hit their peak and thats when you should sell. It boggles my mind that Spiderman, issue for issue, is more expensive than 40's Disney's or other Cartoon books and even some superhero books. Its a sad day though to sell books that I have owned for nearly 20 years and bought with paper route money.

As far as ebay goes, I've also never really like using the reserve. It costs a lot in fees if it doesn't sell. And my attitude is that ebay is a very good clearing market where maybe the price of CGC spidey's is softing a bit. So if I want to sell it I sell it, if I have reservations about selling, I'll just keep it and forego the fees.

I'm very thankful when someone buys something of mine through Heritage or eBay.

If the price turns out to be low, that's the risk I took when I decided to sell at auction. There are steps I could have taken to guard against a too-low price, but if I declined to use those steps then I'm not entitled to b*itch and moan about the result.

So I just say, "Thank you for the business. It's greatly appreciated," whether it's a great price or not.

That's one of the reasons people think highly of you. thumbsup2.gif

Ed,

I was wondering when you would stop in...

Just for the record this thread wasn't a flame, it was just to highlight

a recent example of where I got a book for less.

I like the book I got a lot, and want to do business with you down the road.

flowerred.gif

but it does have cream to offwhite pages

One thing I must say though, is that I'm sorry to differ but this

book is a straight Off-White and a great representation of the grade in my book.

Kudous CGC!

893applaud-thumb.gif

Oops, bad memory on the page quality. Well what can I say it was sold for less than normal. BTW I don't take any of this as a flame war - I hope I don't come across as regretful for selling. since I don't. The main thing when selling or buying is to come close to market value. Buying an undisclosed trimmed ASM 4 for 13k is so much more an issue than if a $200 book could have gotten $240, etc. It is interesting to note in terms of market direction though and thus my response on the ASM's and their value.

I've thought that they were over valued for over two years now, so it shows you what I know.

I won a Surfer #1in CGC VF+ for $295, paid immediately and sat waiting for delivery. Which although he claims he mailed it, it never arrived.

After e-mails back and forth for three months, the guy finally tells me he'll refund just to shut me up, that he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart, that he's way out of pocket.

I take the refund and two weeks later, he's auctioning the friggin' book at a much higher opening bid.

Similar to the story above, when I [rarely] get a bargain basement price on something, I am leery that someone else will contact the seller offering more money than my winning bid.

A few years ago I won a signed photo for a ridiculously low price, probably because the item was listed in the wrong category. I made the mistake of sharing my good fortune on a message board shortly after the auction. Lo and behold, soonafter, I get an email from the seller stating that he accidentally ripped the photo and cannot complete the auction.

I was immediately suspicious, but there was nothing I could do.

I later found out for a fact that another collector snaked me by contacting the seller and telling him I got away with robbery, and he'd be happy to take if for $x more than my winning bid. So, the other guy got the item for a few bucks more than I paid, but still at a very low price.

893censored-thumb.gifing ebay sellers. 893censored-thumb.gif