• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 344
4 4

21 posts in this topic

Gosh, looks nearly perfect.

The only potential flaws I can see is color rub front cover upper right corner and back cover upper right edge.

I pulled out my copy (likely a 9.2/9.4) and saw that the cover inks are a little, I don't know, "blotchy" or uneven in places. Could be production-related.

I'm going to say 9.4/9.6.

Thanks for sharing!

9 minutes ago, grendelbo said:

Gosh, looks nearly perfect.

The only potential flaws I can see is color rub front cover upper right corner and back cover upper right edge.

I pulled out my copy (likely a 9.2/9.4) and saw that the cover inks are a little, I don't know, "blotchy" or uneven in places. Could be production-related.

I'm going to say 9.4/9.6.

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I see the same thing. The color isn't solid at all.  I just figured that's the look they were going for.

Thanks for checking it out!

3 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

9.4 color loss above the corner box top edge

9.6 on a good day

Thanks.

That's production related though...no?

It's not from age and I'm the original owner

It went from the store to the bag and board.

1 minute ago, lostboys said:

Thanks.

That's production related though...no?

It's not from age and I'm the original owner

It went from the store to the bag and board.

I don't believe that's production related but it's just a guess

It appears to be loss of color post production. This may have occurred during shipping or while on the shelf before you purchased the book.

13 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

I don't believe that's production related but it's just a guess

It appears to be loss of color post production. This may have occurred during shipping or while on the shelf before you purchased the book.

I attributed it to a centering issue.

The box in the bottom corner is much lower than most copies leaving extra at the top of the book.

I'm gonna send it in and i'll let you know how it turns out when I get the book back from CGC in 8 to 10 months.

Thank you sir for your time.

Just now, lostboys said:

I attributed it to a centering issue.

The box in the bottom corner is much lower than most copies leaving extra at the top of the book.

I'm gonna send it in and i'll let you know how it turns out when I get the book back from CGC in 8 to 10 months.

Thank you sir for your time.

8-10 months...you connected and know someone at CgC? :insane:

I hope that's the case...beautiful copy nonetheless

2 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

8-10 months...you connected and know someone at CgC? :insane:

I hope that's the case...beautiful copy nonetheless

Quick question.

I'm guessing this book wouldn't need a press but are we at the point where it's best to get every book pressed to ensure we don't get hit with the dreaded "light finger bends" ?

4 minutes ago, lostboys said:

Quick question.

I'm guessing this book wouldn't need a press but are we at the point where it's best to get every book pressed to ensure we don't get hit with the dreaded "light finger bends" ?

Expensive keys, every time except ( if slabbing is your thing ) where a press or clean may cause further damage. On all other books, it comes down to the math ( $$$ ) and the time you're willing to wait on the book while it is being cleaned and pressed. There are some low grade books that will not benefit even .5 of a grade with a press or a clean, but, doing so may cause the book to appear more presentable or pleasing to the eye without a positive change in the technical grade. Finally, there are books that are fragile and a clean and/or a press will cause damage and thus, result in a lower grade. This happened to me recently...I had a 6.5 Golden Age book with defects I thought were pressable and they were...the issue was that during the press, the lower spine split a couple of inches below the bottom staple and the book came back 3.5...it looks fantastic in a slab...:cry:

34 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Expensive keys, every time except ( if slabbing is your thing ) where a press or clean may cause further damage. On all other books, it comes down to the math ( $$$ ) and the time you're willing to wait on the book while it is being cleaned and pressed. There are some low grade books that will not benefit even .5 of a grade with a press or a clean, but, doing so may cause the book to appear more presentable or pleasing to the eye without a positive change in the technical grade. Finally, there are books that are fragile and a clean and/or a press will cause damage and thus, result in a lower grade. This happened to me recently...I had a 6.5 Golden Age book with defects I thought were pressable and they were...the issue was that during the press, the lower spine split a couple of inches below the bottom staple and the book came back 3.5...it looks fantastic in a slab...:cry:

+1

I'm pressing occasionally just for my enjoyment. There's a few key books in my hobby I know will present and ultimately grade better.

My HOS 92 5.0 popped a bottom staple and partially detached the centerfold when I had it pressed.

Sadly, the press likely wouldn't have improved the grade. I would think real hard before pressing anything again that's pre-1975. In any condition.

(That said, I'm dropping off my Amazing Spider-Man 316 for a press right now.)

2 minutes ago, grendelbo said:

+1

I'm pressing occasionally just for my enjoyment. There's a few key books in my hobby I know will present and ultimately grade better.

My HOS 92 5.0 popped a bottom staple and partially detached the centerfold when I had it pressed.

Sadly, the press likely wouldn't have improved the grade. I would think real hard before pressing anything again that's pre-1975. In any condition.

(That said, I'm dropping off my Amazing Spider-Man 316 for a press right now.)

It's a crapshoot....select carefully. I submitted 4 GA books:

2 of them bumped up a notch

1 stayed the same

1 went from 6.5 to 3.5 but looks great ( I have to keep telling my self this so I don't jump off a bridge )

18 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

It's a crapshoot....select carefully. I submitted 4 GA books:

2 of them bumped up a notch

1 stayed the same

1 went from 6.5 to 3.5 but looks great ( I have to keep telling my self this so I don't jump off a bridge )

I'm scared to death to crack, press and resubmit my ASM 300 9.0 and ASM 316 9.4.

They have never been pressed and the graders notes say light creasing, light finger bends etc...everything is light.

I'd guess they are candidates for cracking, pressing and resubbing but if they were to come back with lower grades I'd punch myself in the face repeatedly.

Just now, lostboys said:

I'm scared to death to crack, press and resubmit my ASM 300 9.0 and ASM 316 9.4.

They have never been pressed and the graders notes say light creasing, light finger bends etc...everything is light.

I'd guess they are candidates for cracking, pressing and resubbing but if they were to come back with lower grades I'd punch myself in the face repeatedly.

I would imagine any modern book, let's say 1990 and newer would be structurally able to handle a C&P without incident. Anything can happen...post the books if you want some mostly amateurish opinions...