• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Marvel & DC Present: The Uncanny X-Men & The New Teen Titans #1
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I only have one for today...it's a doozy.  I've had this for years and I just recently pulled it out of a long box.  It contains the third appearance of Deathstroke, The Terminator.

This is a pretty thick book...68 pages of Baxter paper.  Unfortunately, the interior center page is detached and another one is detached from the top staple.  It's almost like the staples were never properly secured because the two detached/detaching pages are clean...they aren't ripped from the staples.

I don't think of myself as a pro when it comes to grading, but this one has me a bit stumped.  Let me know what you think!!! (worship)

20200731_121559.jpg

20200731_121609.jpg

20200731_121625.jpg

20200731_121735.jpg

20200731_121750.jpg

Edited by Galen130

I almost picked this up the other week for the Simonson art. Instead I think I bought a mid-grade Ka-zar 1 (1974). 

Qualified, ignoring the interior page detachments, I'd say 4.5/5.0.

Overstreet allows centerfold detachment at 2.5. CGC isn't Overstreet nor as strict. I am neither. But since the following wrap is detached at one staple as well, I would have to say 2.0/2.5.

Thanks for posting. I think we all become better graders through books like this. Your run-of-the-mill defects refine skills, but examples like this build.

1 hour ago, grendelbo said:

I almost picked this up the other week for the Simonson art. Instead I think I bought a mid-grade Ka-zar 1 (1974). 

Qualified, ignoring the interior page detachments, I'd say 4.5/5.0.

Overstreet allows centerfold detachment at 2.5. CGC isn't Overstreet nor as strict. I am neither. But since the following wrap is detached at one staple as well, I would have to say 2.0/2.5.

Thanks for posting. I think we all become better graders through books like this. Your run-of-the-mill defects refine skills, but examples like this build.

This is a good example to assess your grading skills.  I am "old school" and tend to agree, with a detached centerfold it should not be higher than a 2.5.  If the pages were attached, the amount of wear and tear would put this at a 4.0 (very good) but given the detached pages, 2.5 (good plus) would be my grade. 

8 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

yeah

I don't plan on getting it graded...I'll probably just sell it to someone else for readability.  I don't throw away comics unless they are completely ruined and unreadable. :frown: