• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Re-slabbing old CGC cases with current grade

8 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2021 at 1:28 PM, Greatwhite said:

Is this an older label? Can it be reslabbed as a 9.8 Blue?

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 12.26.34 PM.png

Yes that is the oldest/first label

IMHO the "old school slab" both, original red and blue, carry a slight premium with some collectors. It's pretty much a guarantee that the book has not been pressed especially if it is was a comic with low value back then like the Moon Knight.

Of course the cert number woudl remain the same but still seeing that older label (aka Flip) as mentioned will entice certain collectors as they know not pressed.

I've some high grade Silver and Bronze Age in those circa 2000-2002 labelled slabs that I would never consider having re-holder-ed.  My opinion keep the old slab!

As for the all things first appearance or #1 issue modern day crowd who buy the holder (and label) not the book my guess is they want the newest and shiniest, newton rings not withstanding, they also will leave the hobby when something else catches their short attention span :) IMHO of course!

P.S. If my MK#1 in circa 2019 slab was a direct sale, I'd offer you a trade.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/27/2021 at 4:49 PM, MAR1979 said:

IMHO the "old school slab" both, original red and blue, carry a slight premium with some collectors. It's pretty much a guarantee that the book has not been pressed especially if it is was a comic with low value back then like the Moon Knight.

So I understand the logic behind the older labels being an indication that the books has not been pressed. I also get the impression that many believe the grading standards may have been a bit tougher back in the days (no actual proof, just things I've read online). However, am I overthinking that with older labels you could potentially be buying a book that was graded many years ago at a high grade, but perhaps due to poor storage (i.e., displayed on a shelf or wall in a well lit room) the book has experienced fading that would now result in a grade a level or two lower if it was resubmitted - all else being equal - despite their being no other physical defects incurred?

Sure, if the fading is significant, it could be quite obvious. However, for some relatively modern keys with bright covers I think may new collector (myself included) may not realize just how much fading could have occurred. Add to the fact that a lot of sellers seem to use filters when posting items to make them pop, it really makes me wonder if getting a recent cert # is a somewhat better guarantee that the books overall grade is still more aligned with the original grade.

On 9/19/2021 at 11:53 AM, Vegas021 said:

So I understand the logic behind the older labels being an indication that the books has not been pressed. I also get the impression that many believe the grading standards may have been a bit tougher back in the days (no actual proof, just things I've read online). However, am I overthinking that with older labels you could potentially be buying a book that was graded many years ago at a high grade, but perhaps due to poor storage (i.e., displayed on a shelf or wall in a well lit room) the book has experienced fading that would now result in a grade a level or two lower if it was resubmitted - all else being equal - despite their being no other physical defects incurred?

Sure, if the fading is significant, it could be quite obvious. However, for some relatively modern keys with bright covers I think may new collector (myself included) may not realize just how much fading could have occurred. Add to the fact that a lot of sellers seem to use filters when posting items to make them pop, it really makes me wonder if getting a recent cert # is a somewhat better guarantee that the books overall grade is still more aligned with the original grade.

Bad things (like mold, warping) could happen to a 2 year old CGC slab stored in a damp cellar.   Or a book could fade in a 1 year old slab if in direct sunlight for many of those days. As to how much fading if any has occurred that takes some legwork or experience to know the product.

IMHO it boils down to Buy the book, not the slab. I know the social media crowd are just purchasing based on the grade shown on the label, but serious collectors know to look at the book before forking over the cash.

Edited by MAR1979