• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIDDICK 4 FURYA in the works (TBD)
5 5

37 posts in this topic

You may know Vin Diesel as Dominic Toretto, but to a legion of sci-fi fans, the actor is most loved for his portrayal of the prison-breaking, shiny-eyed Richard B. Riddick.

Diesel has played the character in three movies – Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick, and Riddick (yes, the series' naming convention is almost as confusing as the Fast and Furious movies) – and a fourth installment has long been mooted. In fact, the title Riddick 4: Furya has been floating around the internet for a few years now.

So, how are things going with the sequel? When GamesRadar+ meets Diesel to talk Fast and Furious 9, we asked the box-office record-setting behemoth for an update on both Riddick 4 and whether a follow-up to the acclaimed games in the Riddick series – Escape From Butcher Bay and Assault On Dark Athena.

"It's so funny, I was just wearing my Furyion shirt," Diesel says. "[Director] David Twohy, he wrote a great -script. It's just a matter of timing when we get that opportunity to shoot that. But I believe we're shooting that in Australia. And it would be the fourth chapter in that series, which would be awesome."

He adds: "We did have great success with Escape From Butcher Bay. It feels like an eternity ago now. But, I imagine that we would take advantage of the gaming space and add an extra chapter, but definitely, the [movie's] -script is already written. So it's safe to say that we are moving towards filming the fourth chapter of Riddick."

I thought we had an old thread on this topic. But with this forum search engine...

:preach:

16 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I enjoyed Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick, the third one I didn't like very much.

I was just okay with the third film. It did not connect the dots well with that ending we experienced in Chronicles. Other than to note he didn't like being trapped in as the Lord Marshal.

Dark Fury is the animated movie that also seemed to disconnect from the original storyline.

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I was just okay with the third film. It did not connect the dots well with that ending we experienced in Chronicles. Other than to note he didn't like being trapped in as the Lord Marshal.

Dark Fury is the animated movie that also seemed to disconnect from the original storyline.

I got a love/hate thing with the third one. Feels like they tried to remake the original. The first half hour was the best part. Pretty much just silent survival. I bought the unrated cut and while it doesn’t measure up to Pitch Black, its still fun to watch. Creature effects are well done. The one notable death by kicking a machete was just stupid though. But the cast was actually a fun mix of tough guys/gal.  And I totally respect that Vin D. put up his house to get it made. 

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

The video game was excellent, and provided backstory about how he received his night vision.

I loved Escape from Butcher Bay on XBOX. And when the sequel (Dark Athena) came out for the next gen systems, they included a remastered version of Butcher Bay that looked incredible. That was worth the purchase alone.

While the Fast & Furious franchise is clearly the biggest feather in Vin Diesel’s cap, I’ve always kept a soft spot in my heart for Riddick. The actor first played Richard B. Riddick in Pitch Black, before returning to expand the franchise in a big way with The Chronicles of Riddick. Unfortunately, the sequel wasn’t exactly a critical or commercial success and wound up bringing the franchise to a grinding halt. Diesel wasn’t about to let Riddick die, and close to ten years later, he was able to bring the character back once again for Riddick. Well, we’re quickly approaching yet another decade without Riddick, but Vin Diesel took to Instagram to tease that Riddick 4 is closer than we think.

riddick4.thumb.PNG.5d0379bc5b8bdd193f0dd13609b2b25d.PNG

Edited by Bosco685

They could have made this into a great franchise and or universe after Chronicles... I still remember seeing Chronicles in the theater with zero expectations and coming out thinking it was amazing. I'm not sure what happened with the third one but they total screwed everything up with that movie.  

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 9/27/2021 at 10:59 PM, Xenosmilus said:

They could have made this into a great franchise and or universe after Chronicles... I still remember seeing Chronicles in the theater with zero expectations and coming out thinking it was amazing. I'm not sure what happened with the third one but they total screwed everything up with that movie.  

I also really enjoyed Chronicles but it ended up with a poor box office. Negative reviews as well. He couldn’t get a third one made after that so he had to put up some of his own funding. My guess is they decided to go back to what made the original a success which was the simple sci-fi creature feature theme. 

It has been more than four years since Vin Diesel revealed plans for a fourth Riddick movie and a tie-in TV series. Tentatively titled Riddick 4: Furya, Diesel said that the movie was ready to shoot in 2021, although it is not clear how much pre-production work had actually been done on it, or whether he was just saying that because the studio was happy with David N. Twohy's screenplay. The film would mark the fourth live-action outing for Diesel as Riddick, a character who has also appeared in an animated feature film and a video game tie-in. Diesel and writer/director Twohy will return for the fourth feaure film.

Saying "exciting is an understatement," Diesel shared a couple of storyboard images and a short clip from the screenplay. The -script seems to tease the possibility of a successor to the Riddick legacy, which is an interesting idea Diesel has never hinted at before.

01_Riddick.PNG.edc2064554f3a50e37acf49e22e02155.PNG

On 5/16/2022 at 9:33 AM, Buzzetta said:

Was the video game part of canon?

Thought Vin had something to do with that as well.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

The game follows Riddick, the anti-hero of the two films Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick, as he attempts to escape from a maximum-security prison called Butcher Bay. Escape from Butcher Bay's designers focused on exploring Riddick's character in a prison break setting to differentiate the game from the film. The game's influences include the film Escape from Alcatraz, and video games such as Half-Life and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell.

Escape from Butcher Bay was praised by critics, who lauded its graphics and its implementation of stealth, action and adventure elements. However, they commonly lamented its brevity and lack of multiplayer components. The game has garnered a cult following and is considered to be one of the greatest video games ever made. It went on to win several accolades, including the Golden Joystick Award for Unsung Hero Game of the Year and the Spike Video Game Award for Best Game Based on a Movie. In 2009, the game was included in The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena, but with enhanced visuals.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

The game was developed by Tigon Studios and Starbreeze Studios, and published by Atari Interactive. According to Ian Stevens, Head of Production at Tigon Studios, the decision to do a remake was because Microsoft could not make the Xbox 360 backward compatible with Escape from Butcher Bay, and because they wanted to get the Escape story to a larger audience before progressing further.

Dark Athena has improved graphics and artificial intelligence (AI) from Butcher Bay along with the addition of a multiplayer mode. The single player mode has also been expanded to include Riddick escaping onto a mercenary ship called Dark Athena. Vin Diesel, the voice and likeness of the title character, was involved in the production of Assault on Dark Athena.

Edited by Bosco685