• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Sandman #1 (1989)
3 3

8 posts in this topic

Could you folks take a look at this Sandman #1 and hit me with your expert opinions?

This one has been read multiple times, but is nice and flat with tight staples and clean outer corners. The top and bottom corners of the spine are rubbed with ~3mm of splitting at the TLFC. A bit of discoloration near the staples on the back cover (it's obvious in the photos.) Small hill-shaped crease next to the "s" in "Dreams" on the front cover (this is also visible in the photo and partly visible in the scan). About seven tiny stress marks down the spine, which aren't obvious but can still be seen on the scan if you look carefully.

For the record, the signature on the front cover is Neil Gaiman's and this copy has another on the inside from Sam Kieth. (Gaiman signed the issue twice to ensure his signature was on the front cover as well as next to Kieth's sig.)

sandman-1-front-cover001.jpg

sandman-1-back-cover002.jpg

IMG_8751 (2).jpg

IMG_8752 (2).jpg

IMG_8753 (2).jpg

IMG_8754 (2).jpg

IMG_8755 (2).jpg

IMG_8756 (2).jpg

IMG_8757 (2).jpg

IMG_8758 (2).jpg

IMG_8759 (2).jpg

One of my favorites. I too have one signed by Gaiman and it's a casket-keeper.

8.5/9.0 with the flaws you accurately described.

Thanks very much for posting.

Oh yeah, I really don't see this one going anywhere but we're thinking about sending a few titles in to be slabbed and I'm just trying to get a sense of what would come back!

We actually have the first five issues signed by Gaiman. He pointed out some spots in the art where he insisted that Kieth make alterations because (per Kieth's style) the character's shoes were too big!

Thanks for mentioning the green label; I hadn’t yet realized that unauthenticated signatures automatically took the “qualified” label — as if some rando had scribbled on the cover with a Sharpie.

Newbie question: Is it possible that the unwitnessed signatures actually harm the value of a book like this?

Very appreciative of everyone’s input. Thanks much!

3 minutes ago, BryantInBroomfield said:

Newbie question: Is it possible that the unwitnessed signatures actually harm the value of a book like this?

A witnessed, yellow label certified comicbook will sell for (much) more than a green in an equivalent grade.

I had my Sandman 1 (along with Special 1) signed by Gaiman in 91. It received a Green Label.

No harm in my eyes. I look at the book and not the label. As I said previously, it's a casket-keeper.