• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's REBEL MOON PART ONE: A CHILD OF FIRE direct by Zack Snyder (2023)
4 4

241 posts in this topic

That was fast!

Rebel Moon's fallen to # 5 on the list of Netflix's most-watched movies today.

I mean... I guess it lasted a day or two longer at # 1 than Jupiter's Legacy, but when that's your bar...

• Jupiter's Legacy - 8-episode series that had 358 combined minutes to build an audience connection and interest.
  • Rebel Moon - 134 minute (37% the screen time of Jupiter's Legacy) movie establishing the beginning of a two-part saga.

Who in their right mind would compare the two?

Yup. These folks bring so much discussion enlightenment to the forum.

More like emotional instability to be relevant.

Jupiter's Legacy. That was the best effort comparison.

:shiftyeyes:

:roflmao:

On 1/2/2024 at 10:35 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Wow.

Just 24 hours later and Rebel Moon's now dropped to # 10 among Netflix's most-watched movies.

BurnRent.webp

Without knowing how many people watched it over the Holidays there really is no way to say a drop is a bad thing.  If 100 million people saw it then you would expect a quick drop since who would watch it again so soon?  I'm not saying the watch numbers are great but unless we know it's really just guessing at if it was a success or not.

I did some searching and it does look like Netflix released some initial numbers which don't look great (24 million views over the first 3 days) but I'd be interested to see how it did over the next holiday filled week since it seemed to get quite a bit of buzz (not all good) after the first 3 days.  Lets say it does 45 million views by now then wouldn't you think it would get a huge surge when volume 2 comes out (repeat watchers and people catching up)?  If the pair cost $166 million but get a combined 80 - 90 million views would that be a bomb?  I'd think keeping that many people talking about Netflix and entertained would be worth $2 a person.

On 1/2/2024 at 2:45 PM, 1Cool said:

I did some searching and it does look like Netflix released some initial numbers which don't look great (24 million views over the first 3 days) but I'd be interested to see how it did over the next holiday filled week since it seemed to get quite a bit of buzz (not all good) after the first 3 days.  Lets say it does 45 million views by now then wouldn't you think it would get a huge surge when volume 2 comes out (repeat watchers and people catching up)?  If the pair cost $166 million but get a combined 80 - 90 million views would that be a bomb?  I'd think keeping that many people talking about Netflix and entertained would be worth $2 a person.

Netflix actually noted that metric was a huge win as the most watched release in the first three days.

Zack Snyder’s ‘Rebel Moon’ Delivers Solid Debut for Netflix

Netflix announced Tuesday that the science fiction fantasy was the most viewed title on the streaming giant following its debut the night of Dec. 21, generating 23.9 million views in three (plus a few hours) days.

Rebel Moon was the bright star of the week for Netflix. For comparison’s sake, the next most viewed title was the sci-fi-tinged Leave the World Behind, the drama starring Julia Roberts, Ethan Hawke and Mahershala Ali and produced by the Obamas, which clocked in 19.7 million views in seven days of viewing.

“It’s been a truly unparalleled experience introducing Rebel Moon to global audiences and I’m thrilled that the movie is #1 around the world,” Snyder said in a statement. “We have the most dedicated and loyal fans across the world that any filmmaker could ask for, and seeing them consistently be supportive has been an enormously rewarding experience.”

So it would seem from Netflix's standpoint (as you noted), kicking this off brought that subscriber interest the company needed to see. Along with the interest in the Director's Cut and the sequel. Along with the merchandising and game that is in development. Additionally, a novelation that is out there now in addition to a comic book mini series from Titan Comics. It would seem Netflix is all in on this.

Posted (edited)

2nd week experienced a 42% increase in viewership.

It’s time for another deep dive into Rebel Moon’s numbers for its second week as the film progressed to the tune of +42% of its hours viewed compared to its first week-end. That’s the 6th best improvement for a US Netflix film released on a Friday this year, suggesting that curiosity might have kicked in in part, after a disappointing first week-end.

image.thumb.png.1c7d718c4ddb369cd05171fe19924959.png

Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon is still No. 1 on Netflix.

In its first full week on the streamer, the first part of Snyder’s science-fiction epic racked up 34M views, making it first among the English-language film list from December 25 to 31 — and the most-watched title on the streamer. Add that to the 29M views that the film managed in its debut weekend, and Rebel Moon currently stands at around 63M views for 10 days of availability.

There is still plenty of time for Rebel Moon to crack the most popular list and, regardless, it stands to rack up a hefty audience in its 91-day premiere window. Extraction 2 made it on the list after 66 days with 129M views, so it wouldn’t be surprising for Rebel Moon to take even longer than that.

Edited by Bosco685

Counterpoint - 24 million views in its first 3 days is weak sauce vs. its $166 million budget.

Comes in 9th for the year among original Netflix films. The below chart lists the top 2023 original film's 1st 3-day views, in millions. And Rebel Moon is far more expensive than several on the risk that outrank it.

"It's also noteworthy that Rebel Moon had advantages over these movies: it was released early during prime time hours (in the USA) on a Thursday, and it launched over the festive period, potentially attracting more viewers during the holidays." - What's On Netflix: Zack Snyder's 'Rebel Moon' Viewership Struggles on Netflix in Week One.

See also Forbes: Rebel Moon's Viewership Compares Poorly to Other 2023 Netflix Movies.

Sure - it did another 34 million this past week - but that compares a 7-day week 2 to a 3-day week 1, and during a holiday week.

Now, in week 3, it's falling like a rock. 

rebel-moon-cve-viewership-compared-to-other-netflix-movies.png

The reason I think the comparison to Jupiter's Legacy is apt?

Both were high-profile projects featuring new or unknown fantasy IP by top-tier creators for which Netflix shelled out more than $150 million.

And both started strong, dominating their first week before then falling precipitously.

Jupiter's Legacy's viewership fell 60% in week 3.

There's your bar. Let's see how Rebel Moon compares to that.

Rebel Moon 2nd week goes up 42%: Oh yeah - let's see how week three ends!

Avatar 2 breaks records to failure predictions: Oh yeah - let's see how Avatar 3 ends!

:nyah:

Umm...the calendar matters.

Most of the country was off last week, so direct comparisons to the week 2 of other 2023 releases clearly favor Rebel Moon.

And even with that, Rebel Moon lagged (checks notes) Extraction 2's 2nd week numbers by 20%?

:roflmao:

Not a good look.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:59 AM, Bosco685 said:

2nd week experienced a 42% increase in viewership.

image.thumb.png.1c7d718c4ddb369cd05171fe19924959.png

Yummy how real results matters. No matter the "what about" detractions. Including when it increases viewership and the mentality of some is "Should have been higher" because it didn't decrease.

^^

I love this chart.

Because it shows how much higher a week 2 percentage increase Jamie Foxx's "They Cloned Tyrone" had than Rebel Moon - and without the added benefit of a holiday week.

That's what good word of mouth will do. 

Image.png

Edited by Gatsby77

We all saw Rebel Moon was Netflix's # 1 movie its first 10 days of release, so it's not like the 2nd week results were a surprise.

Doesn't change that those combined results were still middling vs. other original Netflix films last year.

Or that, once the extended Christmas / New Year's holiday was over, it dropped like a stone.

From # 1 to # 10 in just 48 hours?

That takes skill.