• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 Drastically Different 2.5s - AF 15 & FF 52
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Curious on feedback on this.

Both books are graded 2.5.

The FF52 has a subscription crease, heavy staining, and wear on spine. I thought at best a 2.0.

Notes: heavy spine stress lines cover breaks color
moderate, multiple stain cover
subscription crease front cover breaks color

The AF5 has chipping, and a stain along left hand side and throughout the book. I estimated 4.0 at minimum.

Notes: heavy stain full left of whole book
multiple chip out right center of front cover
multiple chip out right top of front cover
multiple crease right top of front cover breaks color

Instead both books received the exact same grade. I didn't think the staining on AF would knock it down so much. Thoughts? Appreciate any feedback.

1108447845_AF15_2.5Front.thumb.jpg.c3ac9add83a07b7ab6e8701a9885fba9.jpg1052755599_FF52_2.5Front.thumb.jpg.55c859939a2bac3c749e9341b703b522.jpg1441432741_AF15_2.5Back.thumb.jpg.2c47ef686ce3ef3df6c58286dea264bd.jpg810527356_FF52_2.5Back.thumb.jpg.f1df60679e4a981a8092a7e9107743ad.jpg

9 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

CgC is notorious for knocking a books grade down for stain despite the structural appearance of the book...

with that said, the AF15 appears "possibly" .5 grade undergraded and the FF 52 .5 overgraded

I've heard that. May be worth a resubmission to shoot for the 3.0. Thank you for the feedback. 

20 minutes ago, Giovanni Molina said:

I've heard that. May be worth a resubmission to shoot for the 3.0. Thank you for the feedback. 

Good luck. A .05 move on a book like AF15 is huge...keep in mind that the book is also likely to receive the same grade or possibly even lower, although, I can't see this copy receiving a 2.0 from 2/3 graders so risk is extremely minimal to the downside and I think up to a 50/50 chance at a bump to 3.0. I've had books with stain/moisture damage to the entire back cover that still received grades in the 3.0-3.5 range ( did not have the chipping this one has ), never seen a 4.0 with this extent of moisture damage throughout the book.

Edited by Funnybooks

4 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Good luck. A .05 move on a book like AF15 is huge...keep in mind that the book is also likely to receive the same grade or possibly even lower, although, I can't see this copy receiving a 2.0 from 2/3 graders so risk is extremely minimal to the downside and I think up to a 50/50 chance at a bump to 3.0. I've had books with stain/moisture damage to the entire back cover that still received grades in the 3.0-3.5 range ( did not have the chipping this one has ), never seen a 4.0 with this extent of moisture damage throughout the book.

Yes, that's my thinking. The 3.0 bump is worth the grading fee. I researched many 3.0/3.5/4.0 and found many with heavier chipping, tears, tape, and more. 
So you're saying there's a chance... ;)

4 minutes ago, Giovanni Molina said:

Yes, that's my thinking. The 3.0 bump is worth the grading fee. I researched many 3.0/3.5/4.0 and found many with heavier chipping, tears, tape, and more. 
So you're saying there's a chance... ;)

There's always a chance unless it's a .5...really no where else to go...

The biggest defect is the moisture damage "throughout" the "full left of whole book"...that hurts...alot.. Your copy "presents" nicer than a typical 2.5 but that does not mean it will grade higher than a 2.5 no matter how nice the front cover looks...a 4.0 is out of the question if that's what you're hoping for...do the $$ math before you decide to CPR the book :foryou:

Edited by Funnybooks

3 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

Given the large stain I'd say the AF15 was graded accurately 

The FF was over graded imo   

Agree on the FF...as stated earlier, I think you received a minor gift grade at 2.5

Hard to argue the AF at 2.5 but if you're a gambling man...

3 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

This AF 15 is the type of book that will likely sell quickly and "maybe" at a slight premium for someone looking for a copy in grade as the fc does present well.

Absolutely. Won't be for sale yet, but I do think that because the fc presents well it will move easier than other copies in same grade. 

3 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

CgC is notorious for knocking a books grade down for stain despite the structural appearance of the book...

with that said, the AF15 appears "possibly" .5 grade undergraded and the FF 52 .5 overgraded

Agree 100% with this. The FF 52 appears worse but that large stain kills the AF 15. I don’t think it garners higher and I think the FF 52 was generous on the grade.

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Ehhh... not necessarily. They do not treat all defects equally.   Here is my 3.5 and I am leaving well enough alone at a 3.5.  

The big knocks on the book are the 3/4" spine split and the tape pull tab missing out of the back.  Visually it looks much better than a 3.5.

I am leaving well enough alone because as I was told years ago it could be a gamble of a .5 bump up OR DOWN.    I am leaving well enough alone.  CGC seems to really hit hard with certain defects no matter the appearance of the book otherwise.   

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 7.15.10 PM.png

Thank you for sharing this! They have it listed as Medium Spine Split...can you clarify the actual length of the split then? That's a very good looking 3.5. 

1 hour ago, Giovanni Molina said:

Thank you for sharing this! They have it listed as Medium Spine Split...can you clarify the actual length of the split then? That's a very good looking 3.5. 

As stated above 3/4"

Those are both beautiful books I would be really proud to own. 

The OPs 2.5 is probably graded fairly given the damage. Still,  a great presenting copy for the grade. 

That 3.5 seems awfully harsh.  I know cgc is harsh with spine splits, but that's about the prettiest 3.5 you'll ever see.