• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

People are weird
1 1

36 posts in this topic

This reminds me of some fast food places actually charging more for a value meal than buying all the stuff individually. 

Taco Bell used to be the worst on their 99 cent menus, you could get the meal for $2.99 or all 3 items individually for 99 cents each, or $2.97 total. McDonalds had it on several of their meals too for a while after their dollar menu came out.

People don't usually like to math. 

On 7/10/2021 at 6:39 PM, Buzzetta said:

Better yet, I hope he is referring to the reverse where I made an offer to a seller for some Strange Adventures comics and he turned down the offer.  A day later I get an offer from the seller to buy the same comics for less than my original offer.  lol 

Not quite the same, but once someone was selling here, I sent an offer on 2 or 3 books which he politely declined. A few days later he dropped the price in his thread below what I had offered, and I took them. Surprised he didn't check back to see if I was still interested.

2 hours ago, ttfitz said:

Not quite the same, but once someone was selling here, I sent an offer on 2 or 3 books which he politely declined. A few days later he dropped the price in his thread below what I had offered, and I took them. Surprised he didn't check back to see if I was still interested.

This happened to me last week. Member thanked me for my offer but didn't want to go that low. A couple days later he cut it to $10 under my offer.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

This happened to me last week. Member thanked me for my offer but didn't want to go that low. A couple days later he cut it to $10 under my offer.

Ditto on some foreign editions I was trying to buy. I made an offer on several that wound up being about 20% off the listed prices, they declined.

2 days later, offers on half the books for 33% off showed up.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:50 AM, shadroch said:

I had three related books on a website. I had hoped to sell them quickly and priced them at $50 each. In two weeks, I recieved eight offers for them, all between $39 and $46. I felt $50 was more than fair and rejected them all. Yesterday, I raised the price of the book to $65 each and woke up to five overnite offers of more than $50. I got $56, 55 and 53 for them. 

Im tempted to raise the prices on a few more slow sellers.

It's all psychology

On 7/10/2021 at 3:44 PM, Murphman13 said:
On 7/10/2021 at 3:05 PM, kav said:

yes people want to feel like they are getting a deal.  Youre selling feelings.  Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Grade A organic grass fed steak has the best sizzle. It’s best if you sell both. Don’t sell inferior cuts of beef. (poorly described comics).

1n6SCYk.gif.cb4f0b7e140dfd6ee8b54518c125c454.gif

Also calm down 20210716_010755.png.6b5094a68f2507b7e556aed8836dc273.png

12 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

1n6SCYk.gif.cb4f0b7e140dfd6ee8b54518c125c454.gif

Also calm down 20210716_010755.png.6b5094a68f2507b7e556aed8836dc273.png

Listen, chief-

Save $1000 on a snicker's bar! Buy one for only $1 instead of the new price of $1001 by using the promo code!