• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Uncanny X-Men #221 (Variant Cover)
3 3

12 posts in this topic

No major defects. All pages/staples/cover intact. Minor spine ticks. Tiny corner deformation on lower left rear cover. Slight bend as you approach spine.

This book would be pressed before any submission.

Thank you in advance for your time and opinions.

front.jpg

back.jpg

Thanks guys. What even is "So Much Fun, Inc?"  If I recall, I got this in a mystery grab bag in 1987 at some convention in Florida. The interweb is sparse with info about "So Much Fun, Inc."

On 7/19/2021 at 4:16 PM, Phil219 said:

Thanks guys. What even is "So Much Fun, Inc?"  If I recall, I got this in a mystery grab bag in 1987 at some convention in Florida. The interweb is sparse with info about "So Much Fun, Inc."

From CGC:

SO MUCH FUN INC. PRODUCED A SMALL NUMBER OF ISSUES ABOUT 7 ISSUES IN TOTAL IT IS BELIEVED THAT THE PRINT RUN WAS APPROXIMATELY 5 TO 6000 KNOWN COPIES. THIS COMPANY WAS- SO MUCH FUN INC. P.O. BOX 757 SHIRLEY, MASSACHUSETTS 01464 THATS THE EXACT ADDRESS LISTED ON A SEALED BAG 3 PACK SHOWN ONLINE FOR SALE. THESE BOOKS ONLY SOLD IN SMALL CARD SHOPS AND STATIONARY SHOPS LIKE HALLMARK. IT IS BELIEVED THAT ONLY 5000 COPIES REMAIN OF EACH ISSUE TO THIS DAY.

Archie (1943) #282 Second Printing

Archie's Girls, Betty and Veronica (1951) #289 Second Printing

Superman (1939 1st Series) #161 Second Printing

Batman (1940) #401 Second Printing

Justice League of America (1960 1st Series) #217 Second Printing

Man of Steel (1987) #1 Second Printing 

Star Trek (1984 1st Series DC) #6 Second Printing

Amazing Spider-Man (1963 1st Series) #292 Second Printing

Fantastic Four (1961 1st Series) #306 Second Printing

GI Joe (1982 Marvel) #63 Third Printing 

Incredible Hulk (1962-1999 1st Series) #335 Second Printing

Uncanny X-Men (1963) #221 Second Printing

So Much Fun was a short lived psedo-distributor that cut a deal with several publishers to have a small private print run of (fairly random) books created, to be assembled into multipacks and sold in non-conventional establishments (mostly greeting card shops, but I've heard there were a few other types of stores considered) that didn't have first-run distribution contracts for comics. They were based in Massachusetts but I think some of their packs went further afield.

They were, apparently, not successful. It doesn't help that they just went with whatever books got selected, without regard to the start of story arcs or anything, really. Print run figures between 5000 and 7000 have been circulated for years, and I think they're probably pretty realistic. Survival rates are quite a bit lower, and very high grade copies are vanishingly scarce. This is probably the highest grade So Much Fun book I've seen (I'll go 8.5 here).

think that list of 12 books is comprehensive. It would be a monument to patience to put the set together in anything better than reader grades. The DC books are probably marginally more common than the Marvels. Good luck on the two Archie's, I've never seen either.