• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst OA in Existence

91 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2021 at 6:49 PM, grapeape said:

Peter L it’s easy to defend Alex Ross. The exercise is to find art artists whose work could go down in the future. Alex deserves consideration simply because he’s enjoyed a long run of selling art at a high value. All good things come to an end?

That includes sacred cows like Ross. The Kincade reference is ‘marketing’ only (not process) that is marketing price points arrived at by ??? IDK. There’s a Spider-Man painted cover on site right now for $25K. If I buy that is it $50K in ten years? $75K in twenty years? Or will I have to let it sit  with an inquire tag (and get lowball offers? A best offer tag? Or will it sell for less?

See I think buying a painting like that is like buying a boat. I may get much pleasure from it. Not everyone can buy a boat. But I probably won’t get my money back. Am I wrong?

I addressed Alex’s superb Marvels work and agree that will always be organically desired and paid up for.

What I’m suggesting for the sake of this discussion is will the bulk of  Alex’s painted work as a whole really maintain value let alone increase? If you take any of the paintings currently on the website for sale and put them up for auction would they consistently approach his asking prices? What about after many many more are painted over the years.

So Peter just so I’m not the only one hanging out here ( I like Alex by the way) who do you think will go down in value and why?

Here are four names picked at random to look at the numbers:

Jim Lee's typical instagram posts of his art have about 15-40,000 likes, and 580,000 followers.

Alex Ross's typical official instragram posts of his art have about 15-20,000 likes and 707,000 followers.

John Buscema's official instagram fan profile has about 200 likes per art post and 2000 followers.

Oliver Coipel's typical Instagram art posts are between 10-15,000 likes and 132,000 followers. 

On 7/26/2021 at 1:23 PM, Peter L said:

Here are four names picked at random to look at the numbers:

Jim Lee's typical instagram posts of his art have about 15-40,000 likes, and 580,000 followers.

Alex Ross's typical official instragram posts of his art have about 15-20,000 likes and 707,000 followers.

John Buscema's official instagram fan profile has about 200 likes per art post and 2000 followers.

Oliver Coipel's typical Instagram art posts are between 10-15,000 likes and 132,000 followers. 

Are you suggesting they will go down in value (either in absolute dollars, or percentage based slippage based on general increases of all art) and why?

I doubt the “old masters” will keep pace, at least by percentage, with newer art any more than they did in the fine art world. New people, new preferences.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:55 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Are you suggesting they will go down in value (either in absolute dollars, or percentage based slippage based on general increases of all art) and why?

I doubt the “old masters” will keep pace, at least by percentage, with newer art any more than they did in the fine art world. New people, new preferences.

Three of the four examples that I gave are not yet in the 30 year window for an increase in prices.  

Alex Ross looks like he has a huge amount of followers of his art, even more than Jim Lee or other contemporary comic artists.  

In comparison, gamers often have many more times that in followers.  

So I predict that gamers will see a larger future influx of nostalgic cash, top artists of today will be popular 30 years from now, and a lot of the Bronze age stuff will drop.

On 7/27/2021 at 6:04 PM, Peter L said:

In comparison, gamers often have many more times that in followers.  

So I predict that gamers will see a larger future influx of nostalgic cash, top artists of today will be popular 30 years from now, and a lot of the Bronze age stuff will drop.

Yeah. With all the bullish predictions everywhere for comics/comic art, there seems to be a huge blind spot to how the 30 Year Rule applies to the collapse of comics/shops that happened in the mid-1990s after 70% of comic shops closed and so many fans and speculators went elsewhere.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:09 AM, vodou said:

Yeah. With all the bullish predictions everywhere for comics/comic art, there seems to be a huge blind spot to how the 30 Year Rule applies to the collapse of comics/shops that happened in the mid-1990s after 70% of comic shops closed and so many fans and speculators went elsewhere.

"The end is nigh !"

On 7/19/2021 at 8:42 PM, pemart1966 said:

Anything by Frank Robbins...

Harsh! Some folk like their heroes to look like junkies in the throes of withdrawal. 

While there are few 70's covers of his I like, I'm amazed at the value of the Invaders pages he penciled.

On 7/19/2021 at 9:49 PM, grapeape said:

Peter L it’s easy to defend Alex Ross. The exercise is to find art artists whose work could go down in the future. Alex deserves consideration simply because he’s enjoyed a long run of selling art at a high value. All good things come to an end?

That includes sacred cows like Ross. The Kincade reference is ‘marketing’ only (not process) that is marketing price points arrived at by ??? IDK. There’s a Spider-Man painted cover on site right now for $25K. If I buy that is it $50K in ten years? $75K in twenty years? Or will I have to let it sit  with an inquire tag (and get lowball offers? A best offer tag? Or will it sell for less?

See I think buying a painting like that is like buying a boat. I may get much pleasure from it. Not everyone can buy a boat. But I probably won’t get my money back. Am I wrong?

I addressed Alex’s superb Marvels work and agree that will always be organically desired and paid up for.

What I’m suggesting for the sake of this discussion is will the bulk of  Alex’s painted work as a whole really maintain value let alone increase? If you take any of the paintings currently on the website for sale and put them up for auction would they consistently approach his asking prices? What about after many many more are painted over the years.

So Peter just so I’m not the only one hanging out here ( I like Alex by the way) who do you think will go down in value and why?

Ross is steady producer of expensive non-published art as with anything financial "supply and demand" will eventually reign.  The question is will demand always equal or exceed the supply?

On 8/6/2021 at 3:31 PM, MAR1979 said:

Harsh! Some folk like their heroes to look like junkies in the throes of withdrawal. 

While there are few 70's covers of his I like, I'm amazed at the value of the Invaders pages he penciled.

That whole series was a disaster - at least the stuff that he did...