• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rapidly Rising Amazing Spider-Man Issues
2 2

61 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2021 at 10:40 PM, Lazyboy said:

Nope. There are symbiote stories that take place prior to MSHSW8. That's why continuity chronology doesn't matter.

Really? which ones? 

The black costume/symbiote is solidly Copper.

Meh. I don't know about solidly but I can be flexible about it. Some draw the line for the end of Bronze age at 1984 and Copper age beginning in 1985 others start copper at 1984.

Revelations are not first appearances

I would agree but revelations make up a whole bunch of "first appearances" that have caused prices on books to spike so it's probably moot to argue.  Practically any little thing associated with symbiotes are getting "first" ______ designations.  First time so and so was revealed to be kletus's cousin's, sister's brother's former roommate. boom $100 book.

On 7/20/2021 at 12:56 PM, justafan said:

Really? which ones?

I quit reading Marvel, so I don't know how many there are (though I wouldn't expect many), but the story of how it came to be in the unit that Spidey accidentally opened is definitely one.

Meh. I don't know about solidly but I can be flexible about it. Some draw the line for the end of Bronze age at 1984 and Copper age beginning in 1985 others start copper at 1984.

Solidly. Copper began in 1980/81. Anybody who believes your dates bought into revisionist history that somebody (can't imagine who :eyeroll:) created when Bronze was hot and Copper wasn't.

I would agree but revelations make up a whole bunch of "first appearances" that have caused prices on books to spike so it's probably moot to argue.  Practically any little thing associated with symbiotes are getting "first" ______ designations.  First time so and so was revealed to be kletus's cousin's, sister's brother's former roommate. boom $100 book.

Revelations can be key plot points that drive demand, but they still aren't the same things as first appearances.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:45 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 7/20/2021 at 1:56 PM, justafan said:

Solidly. Copper began in 1980/81. Anybody who believes your dates bought into revisionist history that somebody (can't imagine who :eyeroll:) created when Bronze was hot and Copper wasn't.

That's why we need a transition period from 1981 to 1984. Cronze baby, Cronze!

On 7/20/2021 at 1:28 PM, Jeffro. said:

Is that when Zima was popular as well??

On 7/20/2021 at 5:12 PM, Park said:
On 7/20/2021 at 4:28 PM, Jeffro. said:

Is that when Zima was popular as well??

Apparently it still is with Buffalonians

On 7/19/2021 at 2:37 PM, mlovest said:

The speculation re the ASM speculation (and other books like some Conans, Hulks, etc.)  is on my mind for sure.  I can't see how the market holds these prices so high.

How is an ASM 129 in 9.6 worth over $10K?  Really?  It was worth 10% of that a couple of years ago.  It's not like the quality of Punisher material is bringing in new fans.

ASM 300...there are so many high-grade copies, with many more ungraded out there sitting in boxes.  How can an ASM 300 in NM be worth substantially more than a 10 times more rare early ASM?  And yes, I know value is subjective and based upon demand, but the supply for these later comics is huge.  I'm sure there are some of you with many copies of these in NM.  Personally, I wish I hadn't sold off many key high-grade ASMs years ago, but I do think there will be a correction coming.  When, who knows.

Don't get me wrong, I love these ASM comics, but I don't see the prices holding.  I will keep buying selectively, hoping ot avoid prices for some books which are likely to drop, in my opinion.

All your questions are like you just awoke from being asleep since March 2020, and are wondering why everyone is wearing masks and asking why the word Corona isn't still a term to best describe sitting on a beach with a drink in Mexico.

Also did you know Marvel was bought out by Disney? Oh and Sony allows them to use these ASM characters in their Marvel films sometimes?  Oh there is also a lot of new Spider-Man movies coming out over the next couple fo years.  I guess that has something to do with it. :idea:

When you said, "Personally, I wish I hadn't sold off many key high-grade ASMs years ago, but I do think there will be a correction coming."  :eyeroll:  

Classic, predictable sheep thinking there must be a correction because I don't own them anymore.  

If you still owned them you would be asking 25% over GPA in the sales section. 

Who am I?

"I sold Amazon for 1k a share years ago, and I just looked at the stock prices......OMG no way its worth $3500!  Crash will obviously happen so I can buy them again at the old market value!"  

THAAAAAAATS YOU!

image.png.6c4e5b0762483cb9b970a04fd45a10b6.png

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 7/18/2021 at 9:55 PM, justafan said:

Well it is tied with those 2 for 1st black costume with the same cover pull dates.  (i.e. the month when the newsstands and stores can pull them off the racks to make room for new issues released that month.)  It appeared chronologically in Peter Parker and the Spectacular Spider-Man #90 and Marvel Team-Up #141 around the same time which each had a cover (Pull) date of May 1984 as well.  Despite what GoCollect says about the release dates, Marvel's database lists the published date as May 1984 for all 3 comics but (correctly) release dates (made available for sale on newsstands) for both PPSM #90 and MTU#141 as Feb 14, 1984 yet ASM #252 does have a release date of January 31, 1984 (2 weeks earlier despite ASM #251 released Jan 3.).   This is a consequence of the staggered release of Spider-Man titles and the 5 weeks that the month of January 1984 spanned.  ASM 251 was released on Tuesday Jan 3rd 1984 and ASM 252 released Tuesday Jan 31 (instead of Feb 1 but Marvel database counts it among the Feb release to go along with the other Feb Spider-man titles released that month.) Theoretically, the public should have had access to ASM 252 up to 2 weeks earlier than PPSM 90 or MTU 141.  In 1984, comics had a cover (pull) date 3 months ahead of when they hit the newsstands for sale.  But it is possible many folks had access to PPSM 90 and MTU 141 around the same time.  So in short, yes, technically ASM 252 was released and likely made available for sale 2 weeks earlier than PPSM 90 and MTU 141 making ASM 252 the first despite having the same pull date.

However, chronologically, the first appearance of the costume is Marvel Super Heroes: Secret Wars #8 with cover (Pull) date of DEC 1984 having been made for sale in September 1984 whose events actually takes place prior to the events in ASM 252, PPSM 90 or MTU 141.  Technically, this could be seen as the first Bronze age appearance of the alien symbiote that becomes Venom vs the modern fictional history of the entire symbiote race.  However, in truth, ASM #258 (released in August 1984) is the first appearance of the black costume revealed to be an alien symbiote after it is analyzed by Reed Richards.

Regardless of all that and what CGC says, ASM 252 is the key to have and the one that is widely recognized as not only the earliest first appearance of the black costume but the first cover appearance as well with PPSM 90 and MTU141 being tied for 2nd and MSH:SW#8 being the chronological first book and cover app of the costume.

If I had to rank them I'd probably go:

ASM #252

MSH:SW #8

PPSM #90 & MTU #141

Wow, I want you on my research team!  Awesome summary.

V/R, Mike

On 7/20/2021 at 3:52 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

All your questions are like you just awoke from being asleep since March 2020, and are wondering why everyone is wearing masks and asking why the word Corona isn't still a term to best describe sitting on a beach with a drink in Mexico.

Also did you know Marvel was bought out by Disney? Oh and Sony allows them to use these ASM characters in their Marvel films sometimes?  Oh there is also a lot of new Spider-Man movies coming out over the next couple fo years.  I guess that has something to do with it. :idea:

When you said, "Personally, I wish I hadn't sold off many key high-grade ASMs years ago, but I do think there will be a correction coming."  :eyeroll:  

Classic, predictable sheep thinking there must be a correction because I don't own them anymore.  

Who am I?

"I sold Amazon for 1k a share years ago, and I just looked at the stock prices......OMG no way its worth $3500!  Crash will obviously happen so I can buy them again at the old market value!"  

THAAAAAAATS YOU!

image.png.6c4e5b0762483cb9b970a04fd45a10b6.png

I guess a 350% return on Amazon compares to a 1,000% return on ASM 129...  doh!

On 7/20/2021 at 7:47 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Let me know when I can get ASM #129 or ASM #300 for 2010 prices again.

Crash is coming.  :preach:

I don’t think there is a crash coming but I do believe that there will be a market correction for a couple of reasons.  

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/20/2021 at 6:47 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Let me know when I can get ASM #129 or ASM #300 for 2010 prices again.

Crash is coming.  :preach:

Why would anybody have to let you know? It will be obvious. Or are you going to be gone because you ran away when the market softened and fell?

On 7/20/2021 at 5:52 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

???

I'm quite happy to sell stuff for insane prices right now. That doesn't mean I believe that there can't or won't be a market correction. It really, really does not mean that.

On 7/20/2021 at 4:55 PM, Lazyboy said:

Why would anybody have to let you know? It will be obvious. Or are you going to be gone because you ran away when the market softened and fell?

I don't see how the market will softened anytime soon on the established books we all know and love. 

Disney didnt buy Marvel to sit on these characters.  FF and X-men are coming!  Everyone thinks Hulk 181, X-men 1, FF 1, 5 are expensive now, what do you think is going to happen when they announce movie dates and casting?

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 7/20/2021 at 4:59 PM, Lazyboy said:

???

I'm quite happy to sell stuff for insane prices right now. That doesn't mean I believe that there can't or won't be a market correction. It really, really does not mean that.

Market corrections always happen, very normal and healthy.