• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much does this take away from the over all grade?

62 posts in this topic

How much is taken off of the over all grade if it has Cream to Off White pages?

Hard to say - not being a wise guy - no formal standards have been published for this. Maybe some folks can extrapolate from books submitted how the page quality impacts the grade? (meaning, if you have submitted several same-general-genre books and made careful note of page and cover qualities - it would be possible to extrapolate.

According to CGC the page quality IS factored into the grade. From the various example we have seen though it seems to have little or no effect on the grade (unless the book has TAN pages) and may just be a notation on the label.

I have personaly seen books with a CGC 9.8 with Cream pages.

Maybe that's why it got a 9.8. If that's the case, then it could be said it has no effect on a 9.8 but would bring a 10.0 down .2 points. I really don't know for sure, just throwing around ideas.

Well the comic I had graded came back as a 7.0 FN/VF and that was the only explanation they put under the grade. Now I'm not saying that there may not be anything else wrong with it, I'm not a professional grader, but I wish if there was any other reason for this grade that they would add it to the description. tongue.gif

Page quality has absolutely no impact on the CGC grade. We've been through this many times, and if there are "Cream 9.8's" and "Off-White 10.0's", and "Tan 9,.4's that look like 9.0's on a good day", how could you think otherwise?

Think about it, what would an OW 10.0 be with White pages, an 11.5?

I usually don't get into many of these conversations but if a "10.0" is the best grade shouldn't all "10.0's" have WHITE PAGES and if not and they did in fact have OW pages shouldn't it be given 9.9 (or less if other problems) In my opinion a 10.0 should be perfect(hence the 10.0) laugh.gif

Exactly, and since OW 10.0's exist, then page quality can have no effect on the CGC grade. We've been around the block on this, and I think even Steve B. stated this as well.

Page Quality is a label notation, nothing more and nothing less.

It should be used in conjunction with the Numeric CGC Grade. Of course, there may be "limiters" such as "Tan pages can't reach higher than 9.4/9.6" or something, but it does not factor into the grade,and Cream is allowed as high as 9.8 and (for all we know) maybe even 10.0...

I am not sure exactly what you are saying, page quality has to be linked to the/considered when giving a grade.

I have to say that is CGC can give a 10.0 to a book with less than White Pages - then page quality may well not enter into it.

I have to say that is CGC can give a 10.0 to a book with less than White Pages - then page quality may well not enter into it.

I'm am of the opinion (based on recent threads) that CGC grades page quality using increments of .05....for example..

Grade Decrease due to page quality

[*]White = 0

[*]Ow/W = .05

[*]OW = .1

[*]Cream/OW .15

[*] Cream = .2

Just conjecture...... crazy.gif

I'm am of the opinion (based on recent threads) that CGC grades page quality using increments of .05....for example..

I honestly don;t think so. Did a really quick search on ebay tonight. Found a CGC 10 with OW-W pages. If they actually factored in the page whiteness the OW-W could not have made a 10. Here is a link.

Again this is in my opinion, but I feel page quality has to be part of the grade. When you grade a book your grading the whole book, not just the covers but the inside, the brittleness or lack of the pages and the color of the pages, this give the condition in my opinion of the book. What does everybody think about this senario:

Say you send a book to be graded and it comes back the CGC 10.0 like we are talking about with white pages, now you take that book out of its holder and expose the inside pages to uv light were the books pages turn tanish(now for arguement sakes lets just say the book was not damaged at all while it was liberated from its holder OK!) Now the book is graded again, if page quality did not play a factor AT ALL, that book in theory should get the "10.0". I have to feel the page quality should effect the grade in some minute manner. Again this is only a discussion and it is great to see how everyone feels about this and there opinions, I appreciate everyones input and respect how everyone feels. smile.gif

I think you are right that page quality SHOULD be factored into the grade, it certainly is by Overstreet standards.

What we are discussing here though is whether or not CGC factor page quality into THEIR grading standards. It appears that they do not.

Again this is in my opinion, but I feel page quality has to be part of the grade.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am noted as a "sniffer" - the very first thing I do when I see a book I am interested in is sniff the interior pages - BEFORE visually inspecting (and yes - a few YOKELS have chided me (good naturedly) on this (hippies!).

And I agree that the interior page quality HAS TO factor into the final grade. All I am saying is that CGC has graded 10.0 books with less than white pages. They are out there and easy to see. I honestly do not understand HOW a book can be garded the Ultimate CGC grade and not have the Ultimate interior pages. It makes absolutely no sense...at least to me.

Do you have to call them?

...or can you get the comments off their websire as well?

To obtain the full set of grading notes you need to call them. The only additional info on the website (other than whats printed on the label) is the date of grading.