• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 50 new new I've got the book now :)
3 3

37 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2021 at 12:40 PM, mike devon said:

Cheers - seems a bit low.  A bit lower than average..?

If you only had staining or tanning, I would estimate a 5.0 but having both present causes me to grade a tick lower. 

CGC is very tough and not forgiving on staining when it comes to grades. 

On 7/20/2021 at 3:39 PM, mike devon said:

Cheers.  I thought 6.  What do you think it is that others are marking it down on..?  Or what are your reasons for giving it a 6..?

You've got the stain going through the price box and showing on the inside cover, minor stains on the back and a number of corner creases and rumples on both sides.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:39 PM, mike devon said:

Cheers.  I thought 6.  What do you think it is that others are marking it down on..?  Or what are your reasons for giving it a 6..?

The corner crease on the cover are the main issues ,about 1"-2" on fount cover right side corners,  there's also a crease on the back top left corner but that might be fixable if its not color braking, hence the 6.0 - 6.5.

The spine issues while noticeable don't really detract from a book in this range, it's already baked into the grade, as it were. 

Cheers so far chaps.  Yeah I think a clean and press would help visually but I'm very tempted to leave as is so its completely raw.  I don't know if others would agree..?  I don't know if a clean and press would up the grade much..?

On 7/20/2021 at 4:06 PM, mike devon said:

Cheers so far chaps.  Yeah I think a clean and press would help visually but I'm very tempted to leave as is so its completely raw.  I don't know if others would agree..?  I don't know if a clean and .press would up the grade much..?

I would leave as is unless there a lot of soiling or you just wamt it to looks it's best or are planing to slab. But other then those reasons a I don't see point in spending the money on cleaning/pressing 

On 7/20/2021 at 3:59 PM, Point Five said:

You've got the stain going through the price box and showing on the inside cover, minor stains on the back and a number of corner creases and rumples on both sides.

I think the tanning is being underestimated as @Point Five has stated. CgC hits hard with this degree of tanning despite how the wraps appear visually. I would be very surprised if this book was graded in the 6.0 range.

Edited by Funnybooks

On 7/20/2021 at 4:11 PM, Funnybooks said:

I think the tanning is being underestimated as @Point Five has stated. CgC hits hard with this degree of tanning despite how the wraps appear visually. I would be very surprised if this book was graded in the 6.0 range.

Tanning is only a factor in higher grade copies and even then they might only take off a .2 or .5 and list the pages as OW to Cream.

Once you start getting into the 7.0 and lower grades spine ticks, tanning and other small problems are just part of the over all grade. If a book has a 6" crease does it really matter if it has a dozen spine tick? not really the crease is the issue bring down the book. At least that's how I grade.

Yep, I tend to agree. Whether you call it 5.0 or 6.0, the stains and creasing are more of a grade factor than the tanning. Again, I'd say 5.0 but it presents quite nicely for the grade. 

Interesting cheers again everyone.  I bought this to sell and I hope to do quite well with it.  I've seen a pence copy with more wear go for over £700 GBP.  I'd love an 8.5 or 9 to keep but no chance of that they're thousands.

I don't know if anyone else would agree but I think 50s punch a bit above their weight in value against condition due to it being such a lovely cover + extremely hard to get in decent nick.  Probably averagely no more worn than any other book but every little fault shows upe esp colour beaks.

On 7/20/2021 at 4:38 PM, mike devon said:

I don't know if anyone else would agree but I think 50s punch a bit above their weight in value against condition due to it being such a lovely cover + extremely hard to get in decent nick.  Probably averagely no more worn than any other book but every little fault shows upe esp colour beaks.

Yes..I would agree that "keys" get the benefit of the doubt with the scales tipping slightly in their favor when between grades*. See this quite often on golden age books and assigned pedigree books.

*unscientific of course

Edited by Funnybooks