• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's wrong with my Daredevil #1 ?

30 posts in this topic

Fading only on a part of the cover ? I don't think, but it can be true.

My opinion is that's probably a problem during the printing process.

And you're right, no information on the label.

Do you thing this copy is more desirable, or less ?

Personally, i don't care.

Could it be that the red plate was printed last of the four plates, instead of the black one which I think is supposed to overprint the other three?

CMYK

Cerulean (Blue)

Magenta (Red)

Yellow (Yellow)

K for Black

Experts out there?

Or maybe the plates were printed in order, but for some reason the last plate, black wasn't printing all the way across the book.

Or maybe the plates were printed in order, but for some reason the last plate, black wasn't printing all the way across the book.

I think that's it, and there are many other examples of this type of "weak black" effect.

you could have fading on part of the cover if only part was get hit by light --- e.g., if a shadow protected daredevil in the logo. the whole bottom 2/3 is a bit faded, clearly not as vibrant as the 9.4.

or you have a printing error worth trillions. smile.gif

Hook is on the right track with this. It looks like the reds have overlaid the blacks. I have a copy of Avenger #30 (?) that is like this.

Where's DiceX when you need him?

Hook is on the right track with this. It looks like the reds have overlaid the blacks.

But the Blacks are light everywhere. Just look at the "Fantastic Four" and "The Most Unusual Hero of All" text.

But even a black color printed on a book is made up of a conbination of red, blues, yellows, etc.....I believe.

When I am using Illusrator and am filling in a black area....I get the richest blacks with a combination of colors. So there could be red sitting on top of even the solid black areas.

But even a black color printed on a book is made up of a conbination of red, blues, yellows, etc.....I believe.

Not really, unless you're talking about the old school guys who would mix leftovers all into a cheap witch's brew to create black. Regardless, in CMYK printing, there are 4 actual, physical colors - it's part of the entire design and theory ( C+M+K=Purple, NOT C+M+(C+M+Y))= Purple ).

And the Black is light everywhere, including the TEXT on the light Yellow areas which are unlikely to have any Red at all.

This book was likely at the start, during the test run when they were trying to balance the colors out, and for some reason made its way out to the public.

Could it be that the red plate was printed last of the four plates, instead of the black one which I think is supposed to overprint the other three?

CMYK

Cerulean (Blue)

Magenta (Red)

Yellow (Yellow)

K for Black

Experts out there?

Red Cyan and Yelow are not opaque enough to cover black if printed last. And thge order of inks is set in the press anyway.

Looks like its not fading either, because black doesnt fade before the other colors. It was either printed with the middle less inked than th eouter areas, or, a section of the black area was prevented from transfering to the paper.

Hook is on the right track with this. It looks like the reds have overlaid the blacks. I have a copy of Avenger #30 (?) that is like this.

Where's DiceX when you need him?

nahhh. Look at the type down the right... thats black ink, not red and its not up to strength. The top and bottom thirds of the cover are fine. Even if it were possible for the plates to have been switched..... the whole cover would be consistently red.... IF magenta ink could be opaque enough to cover up black!

Remember too there IS NO red ink. Its magenta which is way more pink....

get the graders nots. Seems it was marked down in grae because of this effect. See how they described it!

Not to mention that it should have gotten a GLOD due to the printing defect. Remember those USM books with whacky/missing colors, and Steve stating that was the new policy? Then I see books like this and it makes no sense.

Personally, I wish one of the C's in CGC was for CONSISTENCY!

get the graders nots. Seems it was marked down in grae because of this effect. See how they described it!

Not to mention that it should have gotten a GLOD due to the printing defect. Remember those USM books with whacky/missing colors, and Steve stating that was the new policy? Then I see books like this and it makes no sense.

Personally, I wish one of the C's in CGC was for CONSISTENCY!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Well,.....they COULD rename themselves CCC (Comics Consistency Corporation), ....as the "G" is no longer needed. thumbsup2.gif