• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOWCASE #9 What a great deal if I had 12k sitting around

112 posts in this topic

a mickey mantle fan may think it's worth $12k.
sign-funnypost.gif

oh wait - i lived and breathed Mickey Mantle during the Summer of '56 and nothing

could get me to part with that kind of cash for that book. LL and Jimmy Olson were two of the DC titles even I couldn't cope with............ insane.gif

I guess to each their own, I already have a complete Jimmy Olsen, and need 33 more Lois Lane's to complete that set. They really are no more sillier than any of the other Superman family of comics from the same era (especially Superboy).

as far as the significance of this book, I think it is way over rated. Just because Lois was the first Showcase character to get her own title doesn't mean much to me. In fact, as a silver age Superman family collector, these two issues are not even on my want list. I would much rather get a Lois Lane 1 and 2 than these two books, and personally, I feel they are more valuable. Since I don't think Lois Lane's are undervalued, you could probably guess what I think about the Overstreet on these books:

Lois Lane 1

2.0 4.0 6.0 8.0 9.0 9.2

300 600 900 2625 4463 6300

Lois Lane 2

2.0 4.0 6.0 8.0 9.0 9.2

78 156 234 663 1069 1475

In comparison, look at the two Showcase appearances:

Showcase 9

2.0 4.0 6.0 8.0 9.0 9.2

625 1250 1875 4700 7850 11,000

Showcase 10

2.0 4.0 6.0 8.0 9.0 9.2

226 452 678 1978 3364 4750

Quite honestly, those numbers are way out of whack with what a Lois Lane collector would pay for either one of the two Showcases, and is the only reason I have no intention of adding them to my want list. Lois Lane 2 is a much harder book to find than either of those two Showcases, and represents a better value.

Keep in mind, Lois Lane appeared every month in Action or Superman (or even World's Finest for that matter). She wasn't a new character, and even the idea of giving a supprting member their own book wasn't new (Jimmy got his title 4 years ealier.)

This prices are based on what someone thinks high grade Showcase collectors might pay for it (that has got to be one tough set to complete in 7.0 or higher).

At least ... that's my opinion shy.gif

Im giessing you have the 3 Challengers and #1 to make your top 15 list. Right?

I'm very fond of the 5 issues, so those, all the Flashes, all the GL's and the other first appearances.

Not that I'm in the market, but give me a 9.2 copy of issue 1 over issue 9 any day of the week.

The book is very pretty, but there are at least 15 of the first 2 dozen issues that I'd rather have a HG copy of.

This conversation is getting ridiculous. Who wouldn`t prefer Showcase 4 or 22 over this issue? But none of those other issues are available in this grade right now. If you don`t want to buy the Showcase 9, then don`t buy the Showcase 9. But why trash it? And no, I`m not the owner, nor do I know who the owner is, so I don`t have any skin in this game.

I have a hard time believing that Lois Lane is considered an unimportant character in the Superman mythos. I will bet if you ask anyone, anyone to name a character from Superman BESIDES Superman, that Lois Lane will be the #1 answer hands down. If there ever was a Robin counterpart for Superman, it would be Lois.

The book is very pretty, but there are at least 15 of the first 2 dozen issues that I'd rather have a HG copy of.

This conversation is getting ridiculous. Who wouldn`t prefer Showcase 4 or 22 over this issue? But none of those other issues are available in this grade right now. If you don`t want to buy the Showcase 9, then don`t buy the Showcase 9. But why trash it? And no, I`m not the owner, nor do I know who the owner is, so I don`t have any skin in this game.

Who's trashing? Everybody says the book looks nice. (Just about) everybody says it isn't that collectable nowadays and will therefore struggle to sell. This seems to be borne out by the fact that...the book is struggling to sell.

Is bland, posting bypassing all personal viewpoints now de rigeur on these boards?

chillpill.jpg

not unimportant as in unheard of or not a widely known fictional character. But, as a collectible comics character?? no. I have to agree.

...This book has always been more about rare in high grade than important in Silver DC,....the fact that it was a DC tryout and that it was the first Showcase issue to get it's own title adds to the price , but is in my opinion secondary,....it's also the wrong time to sell a book like this,...now that the witch-hunters have created 'The Crash" it's a buyer's market and there are many more valuable and notable books to be bought for 12k.

Hmm, wasn't this the San Diego Showcase #9 CGC NM- that went through 3 dealers hands before being purchased by Jay? I believe the final price that day was $23,500.

Ahh, the orgy days of San Diego and Bill Hughes with Jay's checkbook.

And as I said when it sold for that price, what exactly does Lois Lane do?

If $12k is the price that's what I offered for it to the art dealer who had it at the show. However, the moneyfest was in full swing. Interesting to see that no higher copy has come out since then.

I posed the seller with two questions. BTW, the book was consigned to this e-bay seller, whose primary business is graded cards.

The first was about whether the book has been pressed. The second had to do with the ComicLink bid situation.

The responses were respectively as follows, as noted by italics:

We passed your question along to our consignor, and here's his response: The book was purchased at the March 2003 Heritage Signature Auction. It is still in the same holder as then. Heritage gave no indication of pressing or other work. Before that I believe the book was owned by Jay Parrino of The Mint.

This book sold through Heritage on March 6, 2003, for $13,225.

The bid on ComicLink occurred over one year ago. At the time it was made our consignor thought the book was worth more. The book was removed from ComicLink and consigned to MINT State (it's currently in our possession). I hope this helps,

as far as the significance of this book, I think it is way over rated. Just because Lois was the first Showcase character to get her own title doesn't mean much to me. In fact, as a silver age Superman family collector, these two issues are not even on my want list. I would much rather get a Lois Lane 1 and 2 than these two books, and personally, I feel they are more valuable. Since I don't think Lois Lane's are undervalued, you could probably guess what I think about the Overstreet on these books:

Lois Lane 1

2.0 4.0 6.0 8.0 9.0 9.2

300 600 900 2625 4463 6300

Lois Lane 2

2.0 4.0 6.0 8.0 9.0 9.2

78 156 234 663 1069 1475

In comparison, look at the two Showcase appearances:

Showcase 9

2.0 4.0 6.0 8.0 9.0 9.2

625 1250 1875 4700 7850 11,000

Showcase 10

2.0 4.0 6.0 8.0 9.0 9.2

226 452 678 1978 3364 4750

Quite honestly, those numbers are way out of whack with what a Lois Lane collector would pay for either one of the two Showcases, and is the only reason I have no intention of adding them to my want list. Lois Lane 2 is a much harder book to find than either of those two Showcases, and represents a better value.

Keep in mind, Lois Lane appeared every month in Action or Superman (or even World's Finest for that matter). She wasn't a new character, and even the idea of giving a supprting member their own book wasn't new (Jimmy got his title 4 years ealier.)

This prices are based on what someone thinks high grade Showcase collectors might pay for it (that has got to be one tough set to complete in 7.0 or higher).

At least ... that's my opinion shy.gif

I generally agree with Silver. I think the Showcase #9 values are overrated. In fact, I would prefer a 9.2 Lois Lane #1 to Showcase #9. Both are seldom seen in HG though.

not unimportant as in unheard of or not a widely known fictional character. But, as a collectible comics character?? no. I have to agree.

Thank you for agreeing with me. smile.gif

Guys, if that's your criteria for whether a comic is desirable, then a lot of GA books would be virtually worthless. I'm talking DC, Timely, Fox, Nedor, etc. etc. Not only are many of the GA comics characters not "collectible" but they are also completely unknown, certainly at best only a fraction of the recognition quotient of a Lois Lane.

This conversation is getting ridiculous. Who wouldn`t prefer Showcase 4 or 22 over this issue? But none of those other issues are available in this grade right now.

Ahem, EXCUSE ME!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Tim, what are you smoking that is impacting your memory? makepoint.gif

Showcase #4 CGC 9.2

And only $125,000!!! Ok, for you forumites - $120,000. Tim, it is $126,000 for you. hi.gif

Showcase4.jpg

Showcase #4 CGC 9.2

And only $125,000!!! Ok, for you forumites - $120,000. Tim, it is $126,000 for you. hi.gif

Darn it, when am I going to remember to save the Calvin and Hobbes "I spit on 9.2's cartoon" so I can reproduce it at moments like these! frustrated.gif

This conversation is getting ridiculous. Who wouldn`t prefer Showcase 4 or 22 over this issue? But none of those other issues are available in this grade right now.

Ahem, EXCUSE ME!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Showcase #4 CGC 9.2

Showcase4.jpg

Mark, I kinda hate to say this, but your 9.2 really seems a bit of a gift grade with its soft corners and stuff. considering how DCs are usually harshly graded, this would be an 8.5 on a normal day Id think. Am I missing something in the scan?

Mark, I kinda hate to say this, but your 9.2 really seems a bit of a gift grade with its soft corners and stuff. considering how DCs are usually harshly graded, this would be an 8.5 on a normal day Id think. Am I missing something in the scan?

Pretty big darn scan already so I have no idea if you are missing anything. But what do I know? I bought the book already slabbed from PGCMint. Have I seen tighter 9.2s? Hell yea. Am I surprised? Not at all given this is a Showcase #4.

But then of course I am never surprised at how CGC grades specific select books and categories. Have you ever really looked at the CGC Church/Mile High copies? Do you really believe all those 9.4s and 9.6s are what the label says? Cause I don't. confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, what am I missing? It looks like a pretty solid 9.2 to me. If it were a 9.4, I'd call it a soft 9.4, but I've seen worse books than this in a 9.4 slab (take a look at the "9.4" Flash 105 on Heritage right now). I've also seen worse, as well as better, books in a 9.2 slab. The spine looks solid, the stress around the staples is not excessive, and the corners, although not sharp, are not badly rounded at all. If I were going to use a 9.2 to criticize CGC's grading, this wouldn't be it.